svchost & windows update

Maleko

If you download something like Process Explorer, you can see what system call is using the most CPU time - assuming you've configured your symbol path variable, of course:

To use the Microsoft Symbol Server

1. Make sure you have installed the latest version of Debugging Tools for Windows.

2. Decide where to store the downloaded symbols (the "downstream store"). This can be a local drive or a UNC path.

3. Set the debugger symbol path as follows, substituting your downstream store path for DownstreamStore.

SRV*DownstreamStore*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

For example, to download symbols to c:\websymbols, you would add the following to your symbol path:

SRV*c:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

I experienced the same problem on all my PCs at home. Every time I'd start up my gaming system and jump right into a game, it would start stuttering like crazy after a short while to the point where the game was unplayable. Five minutes later all would be okay.

On my Media system, I'd turn that on, load up a DVD and the first 5 minutes of the DVD were unwatchable due to stuttering.

It had gotten to the point where I was really fed up with this and I started investigating. I noticed CPU was at 100% during the "Stuttering" mainly caused by one of the SVCHOST.EXE. I used ProcessExplorer and found the culprit to be "Automatic Updates."

I have since then disabled automatic updates on all my systems.

To the guy that said "what did you expect, 0%?" Why does a process have to take up 100% the first 5 minutes at the power on. Why didn't M$ give this service a lower priority? I mean, it's rediculous... You boot up your PC to "quickly" do something. Next thing you know your stuck waiting for for Windows Update to finish.

Recently the company I work for moved to SMS2003. Now were experiencing the same issues on a LOT of client PCs. SMS uses Automatic Upates as well to install SMS updates. Some user's can't use there PC's for 2 days after updates have been spread via SMS. The SMS team have tweaked some settings and for most people its okay now, but there's still problems with some PCs having 100% CPU usage.

I suggest you disable Automatic Updates service and manually install the updates if you permanently want to get rid of the problem.

Good luck,

'nuff

Tried the patch and didnt make any difference!

I deceided to leave windows update running, and it did complete....without problems, svchost.exe went through the roof, but stopped wen updats had finsihed scanning...weird.