Can't log in after nLiting with 1.3 beta

Ver Greeneyes

Hey guys, been using nLite for some time with hardly ever any problems, but with 1.3 I'm suddenly completely unable to log in. I've tried doing the unattended part of the nLite with 1.2.1 but it doesn't make any difference, so I think it must be something weird going on with the new components.. no idea what though. I've attached my last session.ini for your perusal, and below is some unattended information from my last session_u.ini. I'll try it by adding an account instead of renaming the Administrator one next, so I'll get back to you on that.

[Personal]
TimeZone = (GMT+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna
CDKey = [removed]
ComputerName = [removed]
Organization =
Language = English (United States)
Locale = English (United States)
Keyboard = United States-International
DomainAdmin =
DomainPass =
JoinDomain =
JoinWorkgroup = [removed]
Owner = [removed]

[Users]
[removed]|[removed]||True|Administrators||True|False|True
Guest|||False|Guests||True|False|False

Hey guys,

I do have the same problem.. The wierd thing is that I didn't remove any of the new components.. I just used a Session I made with 1.2.1 and added some Unattended-Stuff and updated the Update- and DriverPacks..

The winnt.sif says (among other things of course):

EncryptedAdminPassword="No"
AutoLogon="Yes"
AdminPassword=*

I also renamed my Admin-Account and didn't want to have any password.. I know that it's possible as I always use these settings..

I'll attach my last_session.ini, if I can :D.. (Seems it worked)

MelTraX

I just finished an nLite with 1.2.1 with the exact same settings (but none of the new components removed, of course) and it works fine. If MelTraX above me is right, this is a general problem that 1.3 is having on our systems and not related to us removing the new components.

Edit: MelTraX, I'm wondering about something.. Are you assigning your computer to a specific workgroup?

Edited by Ver Greeneyes

It's just that I noticed the unattended section has changed a bit in nLite 1.3.. And I set a workgroup too as you can see. It's a long shot but.. I've got everything working now with 1.2.1 and I have to get some work done; I'll get back to testing tomorrow and see if I can nail this down.

Now... I don't know if this helps but I have the opposite problem... sorta...

I made an installation, used WORKGROUP for workgroup, NEVER touched ANYTHING at the accounts tab.

HOWEVER, having already read this thread BEFORE making my installation CD I alterred the WINNT.SIF some to resemble the one the previous versions created.

So, the installation goes as planned (and at this point I must stress out that it WASN'T a test installation, I actually needed to install windows on my system and that was that), however, subsequently, when windows starts it auto logs on using the Administrator account!!!

In order to log on to my account I have to manually log off and then log on...

I attached the WINNT.SIF I used and the LAST_SESSION.INIs.

So, happy hunting...

Edited by Keeperos

I have to admit, I didn't think about that one, Pixelated. Good idea.

Have you tried 1.3 yourself? How's it fare compared to 1.2.1?

Yup, started from scratch and the results have been very pleasing. A couple of things have been moved/changed in the unattended section in 1.3beta, and I overlooked them (such as Name fieed) but no big deal, I just entered them manually when I reinstalled.

Am running on an nLitendXp install now, and I'm very happy with it :thumbup

However I can't compare with 1.2.1 as I didn't use that build to create an install that I actually used.

Edited by piXelatedEmpire

@ people who "cant log on"

What errors are you getting with logging on? Invalid password?

If invalid password, decompress nlite.in_ in your i386 folder, and check the resulting inf file at the very bottom. one of the last few lines should have something like nhelper net1 user xxxxx /add blah blah blah

in there should be your password. Perhaps if you used nlite on top of a cd that was already done with nlite (even without loading a last session), you used a different password and so the correct password is higher up in the file..

Edited by Speeddymon

That's the line you're refering to I guess (and yes Windows says "Invalid Password"):

nhelper net1 user """"[removed]"""" /fullname:""""[removed]"""" /passwordreq:no

As you can see there shouldn't be a password required..

Since I have a physical computer without any use atm, I will revert to 1.2.1.. Actually I already tried twice but my own PC crashed with two different reasons during the nlite-process.. :blink:

If I have the time I will do some tests in a VM but you know: it's Christmas :angel

Edit: I just gave it another try.. I used the same ini but gave my renamed Admin a password. Installed it in a VM but couldn't login with that password either..

Edited by MelTraX

Well, I myself just gave up on 'Unattended' since 1.2.1

...too much of a hassle.

Why go through all those leaps and hurdles, just to have to enter info manually after install anyways? Not worth the headache.

To me, nLite is supposed to save time, which for the most part it does. Spending hours online trying figure out how to save 2 minutes of it seems a little counter-productive. No offense.

:)

Edited by RaGhul