issue in FDV fileset

whitehorses

I have found this issue in around september, but I see it's still not corrected in FDV's fileset:

In the file IE.IN_ at line 828 a " is missing. I don't know how the installer parses the inf file, but at least that line was affected by this issue.

EDIT:

Or am I wrong?

Edited by whitehorses

Shoots Hawaiian Punch out of nose

What?! Which line?

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{97E2C371-FDDD-11CF-807F-02608C8D98DF}"

?

That line?

Let me know. i don't see any problem but I've been known to miss things.

What?! Which line?

Nope... in my editor thats line 626. I said 828:

HKU,".DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders","History"

Notice I marked the missing quote. Hope it helps.

PM. well if it does... i would ask you a bit more about your fileset in exchange ;)

Edited by whitehorses

What?! Which line?

Nope... in my editor thats line 626. I said 828:

Nice to see someones not full of `Christmas Spirit`.

Its not just your editor, all of mine seem to agree with you!

Oh and yes the Double Quotation Mark is missing in my copy too. :whistle:

Does this affect anything? If the quotation only valid till end of line, then I think it isn't a big issue since the key is not that important, is it?

Yzöwl

Yeah, Christmas Spirit... lets do some valueable instead... for me at least. I was told I'm a selfish bastard today, so I decided to burry myself under this wincrap instead. :angry: ... Jesus ... :lol:

By the way, can you help me? I'd like to modify the folder names under User profiles (Application Data, etc..) and maybe for the default and all users forlders. How can I do that, since I wasn't able to find any entries about that. I've tried to do it extensively a few months ago without success...

Edited by whitehorses

Does this affect anything? If the quotation only valid till end of line, then I think it isn't a big issue since the key is not that important, is it?
Yes, it's only valid until the end of the line and not 'that important'

I have strange issues with FDV fileset + HFCLEANUP. I'm using a slightly modified fdv fileset, without any major changes which should affect the outcome.

First of all I use a 2000 source, integrating DX9, using the following hotfixes:

IE5.01sp4-KB925454-Windows2000sp4-x86-ENU.exe
IE5.01sp4-KB925486-Windows2000sp4-x86-ENU.exe
MDAC253-KB911562-x86-ENU.exe
OE5.5sp2-KB923694-Windows2000-x86-ENU.exe
rootsupd.exe
Windows2000-KB842773-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB893756-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB896358-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB896423-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB896424-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB899587-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB899589-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB900725-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB901017-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB901214-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB904706-DX9-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB905414-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB905749-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB908506-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB908519-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB908531-v2-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB911280-v2-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB912919-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB913580-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB914388-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB914389-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB917008-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB917344-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB917422-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB917537-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB917736-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB917953-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB920213-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB920670-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB920683-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB920685-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB920958-v2-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB921398-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB922582-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB922616-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB923191-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB923414-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB923689-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB923980-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB924191-v2-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB924270-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB926121-x86-ENU.exe
Windows2000-KB926247-x86-ENU.exe
WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe
Windows-KB909520-v1.000-x86-ENU.exe
WindowsMedia6-KB925398-x86-ENU.exe
WindowsMedia-KB911564-x86-ENU.exe
WindowsRightsManagementServicesSP2-KB917275-Client-ENU-x86.exe
WindowsXP-KB928388-x86-ENU.exe
wmfdist.exe
wmp6cdcs.exe

The FIX folder has 2003 bootfiles, and an usbport.sy_. The whole stuff installs as it should without hfcleanup.

After applying the hfcleanup files on the next run, I was dissapointed about the results:

1, first of all the installer was complaining about signatures, and I had to click OK to every component...

2, This is my greatest and long enduring problem with hfcleanup: it simply does not work for me! Never ever! I've been trying it for more than a ear in vain :no: The service removal files had absolutely no effect... every service is still there, and many other removals are quite buggy, like for some strange reason the my documents folder (which was perfectly removed by fdv) reappeared, and so a ghost folder for task scheduler on the control panel.

Any suggestions?

PM: atached the modified fdv fileset for the sake of a precise diagnosis

EDIT: oops... I'm a noob, and can't do that for some reason :(

Edited by whitehorses

hi whitehorses! attachment ain't here :) ...

signature pop ups shouldn't be there if modified SFC files were disabled ... & .cat files deleted ... see if this info helps ... :) from: http://www.vorck.com/hfslip.html

SETUPAPI.DLL

This is optional, you do not have to have it. … Here is how to edit SETUPAPI.DLL to shut off setup file checking to allow you to edit system files such as LAYOUT.INF. Svajunas points out that "for Xp (SP1, SP2) and W2k3 (SP1), search for sequence 55 8B EC 8B 45 2C and replace with 33 C0 C2 30 00 2C. This should work and for future Xp and W2k3 versions."

SFC_OS.DLL (OR USE AN EMPTY SFCFILES.DLL)

This is optional, you do not have to shut off WFP. … Here is how to edit SFC_OS.DLL to shut off Windows File Protection (link coming, for now use Google). A quick word about Windows File Protection. It was designed not to thwart you, but to prevent software from changing your DLLs on you. WFP is a good thing 95% of the time. Also, if you're setting up a system for someone else, and WFP is off, how long do you think it would be before they were on the phone with you telling you that their system is "acting weird?" Alternately, instead of hacking SFC_OS.DLL, you can leave it alone and use a version of SFCFILES.DLL that is empty. Download this new SFCFILES.DLL .... I got the idea here, but there were several errors in the approach, so a programmer friend re-wrote the DLL for me. Here is the source.

and from: http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html
STEP SIXTEEN. (advanced. FYI only.)

Windows File Protection, Part I.

STEP SEVENTEEN. (advanced. FYI only.)

Windows File Protection, Part II.

from HFSLIP cmd instruction:
Security catalog files are used to make the System File Protection feature

aware of the fact that a version of one or more files which is different

from the original on the installation CD needs to be installed and that it

should be accepted.

... use of custom version of sfc.dll, sfc_os.dll or sfcfiles.dll may prevent the numerous prompts you're getting ... oh well, i know you already know these ... :P Edited by Kiki Burgh

I'd like to hear some happy-end stories about someone hfslipped a full 2K with all bells-and-whistle hotfixes, FDV fileset, AND afterwards SUCCESSFULLY used a full HFCLEANUP. I think I heard once someone did something like that, from TAiN maybe, but he run off before I could ask him how :(

I tried another desperate move tonight: created a full slipstreamed FDV-2K. Everything was ok, shiny-shiny install on VM. Checked almost every file and folder after install, and I can tell it was beautyful. Then I tried to run HFCLEANUP using AHTEST=HFCLEANUP switch on the sourcess. I swore I used only the removers included in hfcleanup.zip and ..2kextra.zip. I processed them in small packs, for example one for the apps, one for the drivers, one for the services. Everything seemed ok, but the result was catastrophic: HFSLIP somehow deleted syssetup.inf!!! :wacko: There are ABSOLUTELY NO entries for that, that's crazy, then how did that happen.

When I run HFCLEANUP with almost all removers I never had my source folder below 230Mb, which - as I heard from others - is almost double the size that it should be with such set up. Might my processor have some aberations or what?!?! Should I give it up :(

failedmu2.jpg

EDIT: it wasn't deleted though, just the whole file was empty. Grrr

EDIT2: issue resolved here

Edited by whitehorses

whitehorses -

I used all types of 2k's, from FDV's, full up, NLITE'd and HFCLEANUP'd. I use the HFCLEANUP version because it removes more than NLITE and I get repeatable results. I need the IE core so FDV's fileset doesn't work for me. I do not use all of the HFCLEANUP reducers because I found that I can't run anything worthwhile when removing the 4Z reducers. Try HFCLEANUP without using the ZZZZ files. As far as the size goes, you are asking to compare apples to oranges. The final size depends on how much you are trying to slipstream via HFEXPERT. HFEXPERT adds stuff the installation disk. For example, I use HFCLEANUP, IE6, DX9C, HFEXPERT, HFExpert'd drivers, HFEXPERT'd ramdrive, HFEXPERT/Codecs, HFExpert/Appreplacement, HFExpert'd alternate wallpapers, etc. My source is 212 meg, my sourcess is 121 meg. IIRC, without drivers it was more like 100 meg.

Remember, the HFCLEANUP was compiled for English. So if you are using a non-English version of 2k, you may have bad results.

BTW, can you provide us with your hfslip.log file?

Edited by tommyp

tommyp -

Merry Holy-day for you and thank you for responding this time.

- I use full english version of every hotfix on W2KSP4eng source

- I dont use anything beside current up-to-date hotfixes and DX9

- as I said, the FIX folder contains ntldr + ntdetect.com from 2003 and an usbport.sy_ patched to 500hz

- I tried only slipstreaming neccessary hotfixes and DX9 with HFSLIP then process it with nlite. These runs gave promising results, but not the one I realy dream of. (my current system is one from these, though it's just an experimental version: I removed EVERYTHING of nlite's list exept DHCP, activedir, some multimedia codecs and calculator!!! It haven't crashed for half a year surprisingly, though some error popups come up every logon)

- I have tried the same with XP and if there would be no other choices than hfslip+nlite I would prefer XP. But there is FDV fileset for 2K...

- I LOVE the FDV fileset! It perfectly represents my needs and philosophy. The problem is that there is no way of cooperation between nlite adn it, as I know.

- I even tried to create an FDV-like fileset from scratch, which wouldn't interfere with nlite, but after few months of trial and errors I gave it up :(

- There is no other option but hfcleanup, which unfortunately never really worked for me. TommyP are you exactly sure that it's not the script which is buggy under some circumstances? I mean I tried to undarstand the script, but it's so cryptic for me I was unable, and this behaviour I experience is at least peculiar. Either my system must have some oddities (the above mentioned) or something in the script, since the components I slipstream represent the most convetional set I think. (no problematic component, no HFEXPERT, just hotfixes) I tried every possible combinantions in the past, so I don't have any ideas more by myself.

- I would like to understand how hfcleanup works exactly. Can you please explain me the process in words. (extensively) I would need it because its too hard for to understand from source without any guides. I know there is a timetable of the process inside one of the filesets, but I would need to understand it more deeply. Does the method of hfcleanup depend on other methods inside the script?

- Is there a possibility that FDV fileset can interfere with - for exaple - a full hfcleanup.zip? as I see there are re-removed entries... isn't that a problem if I re-remove ie or mplayer2.exe with ZZZZ or such? I don't care about compatibility just want to know if there is the possibility of interference...

PM: sorry if I'm talking/asking too much in one turn

PM2: You said your source is 200 megs? W2KSP4 is 316 as I know... did I miscalculate something?

Edited by whitehorses

Just a quick note: using HFSLIPed and HFCLEANUPed Windows 2000 with DirectX9C and USP5.02 (and a couple of newer hotfixes). Everything I need is working. i386 folder with LANG included (I need Chinese) and some files added is right 100MB. Installed numerous times without any problem.

Just a quick note: using HFSLIPed and HFCLEANUPed Windows 2000 with DirectX9C and USP5.02 (and a couple of newer hotfixes). Everything I need is working. i386 folder with LANG included (I need Chinese) and some files added is right 100MB. Installed numerous times without any problem.

That is exatly what I wanted to hear, though with this I'm more frustrated: why then it's not working for me? All the same exept FDV. The SOURCSS should be around the same size.

EDIT:

What kind of removers did you use? I haven't tried your mini02 set jet, should I?

Edited by whitehorses