issue with HFCLEANUP

whitehorses

I had that issue not long ago, when for some reason syssetup.inf was removed accidentaly by hfcleanup. I digged the code and found out why:

I used FDV's fileset. For some reason during the slipstreaming process HFSLIP forgot to compress it (syssetup.inf only... strange). This was the root of the problem, because when HFCLEANUP parsed the file:

Echo Updating SYSSETUP.INF
EXPAND -r sourcess\i386\syssetup.in_ >NUL
del /q /f sourcess\i386\syssetup.in_
ren sourcess\i386\syssetup.inf syssetup_temp.inf
findstr /v /i /g:WORK\RED\filter.txt sourcess\i386\syssetup_temp.inf > syssetup.inf
MAKECAB syssetup.inf /L SOURCESS\I386 >NUL
del /q /f sourcess\i386\syssetup_temp.inf
del /q /f syssetup.inf

"EXPAND -r sourcess\i386\syssetup.in_ >NUL" gives an error, but the code continues, then "ren sourcess\i386\syssetup.inf syssetup_temp.inf" does nothing too, but "findstr /v /i /g:WORK\RED\filter.txt sourcess\i386\syssetup_temp.inf > syssetup.inf" creates an empty file, and "MAKECAB syssetup.inf /L SOURCESS\I386 >NUL" creates a cab from that empty file, unfortunately overwriting the original.

Hope this helps. I will try to find out why my syssetup.inf was not cabbed during slipstream...

Edited by whitehorses

TOMMYP -

This is going to be technical...

1 - I found something I don't understand in hfslip-1.2.1.cmd line 1831. There is somthing like:

... del work /q /f work\red\%%jf ...

why is work there? It won't do anything, or I'm wrong?

2 - I had a very strange thing happening to me. I will check it once more, but I would like to know that you know about it. During the processing of .rin files I was watching what was going on inside WORK\RED folder. (exapanded INF files and TXTSETUP.INF therein) Almost everything was processed according to the script, exept ie.inf, nettcpip.inf, and mplayer.inf. I don't know exactly what happened, but as I looked away and back I saw that they were renamed to ie.iny, nettcpip.inp, and mplayer.in . I don't see how the heck could that happen since I don't find it in the script anywhere... Can you confirm that it's ok?

WH - Here's what I did. I typically don't use FDV's fileset, I use the IE6 core. So I created a new hfslip working folder, copied the 2k/IE6 directory less the IE6 cabs and IE/OE updates. I copied over the same exact HFCLEANUP directory too. Once all the files/folders were in order, I ran HFSLIP version 1.2.1.

I can confirm that hfslip version 1.2.1 is functional with FDV files, hfcleanup, hotfixes, dx9 & some svcpack reg & cmd files. The end result iso image size is roughly the same as my 2k/IE6. The image installed without complaints on my VM. I can't repeat any of your errors.

I start to believe that my computer is cursed or something... thank you guys for giving me so much from your time, I think I stop this for now.

By the way I managed to solve few things:

- the BIGGEST problem was that I copied the source from CD, and it was read only. After I corrected that everything went on much better. The ISO size was around 110 MB, and very few errors I had.

- Unfortunately the syssetup.inf was overwritten this time too, and "that very strange thing" happened again. After compressing .in_ files in FDV's fileset inside FDVFILES everything was OK. I think it's safe since I haven't seen HFSLIP modifying them, only during hfcleanup. This way it even works with nlite if I don't select IE for removal... probably thanks to the few structural changes in the past few months either in fdv's or in nlite. "...or am I wrong?" I suggest *.??_ files should be compressed in fdv's before copying them to sourcess\i386, or hfcleanup should recognize the uncompressed files but it's more complicated. (By the way what about my test files? If it runs OK w/o compressing syssetup.inf for others, then it's sure that the problem is with my system.)

EDIT: the last thing... there is a line around 2466 in :CLOSURE like:

IF "%LNG%"=="ENU" (TYPE WORK\HIVESFT.TXT>>SOURCESS\I386\HIVESFT.INF) ELSE

It gives me an error during slipstreaming, because there is no HIVESFT.TXT inside WORK. Is this a problem or not important?

Edited by whitehorses

EDIT: the last thing... there is a line around 2466 in :CLOSURE like:

IF "%LNG%"=="ENU" (TYPE WORK\HIVESFT.TXT>>SOURCESS\I386\HIVESFT.INF) ELSE

It gives me an error during slipstreaming, because there is no HIVESFT.TXT inside WORK. Is this a problem or not important?

It's harmless. That (and the line above) is a remnant of the first code I used to embed the new timezone updates. Thanks anyway for reporting this; I'll have it removed. :) Edited by Tomcat76

TC - my pleasure to help :)

in hfslip-1.2.1.cmd line 1831 there is somthing like:

... del work /q /f work\red\%%jf ...

Would someone check this one too. It seems harmless, but I think that "work" is not needed there.

EDIT: found something else... around slipstreaming 2003 sp1... well

IF "%SOS%"=="W2K3SP0" IF EXIST [color="#FF0000"][b]HF[/b][/color]\*889101* GOTO :HFSPACK3
IF "%VERSION%"=="2003" (
ECHO SLIPSTREAMING SERVICE PACK 1 INTO WINDOWS 2003. PLEASE BE PATIENT.
FOR /F %%I IN ('DIR/B HFSPACK\*889101*.exe') DO START/WAIT [color="#FF0000"][b]HFSPACK[/b][/color]\%%I /Q /X:SP\
)

I think that HFSPACK folder should be changed HF, shouldn't?

Edited by whitehorses

• 1 month later...

BUMP

I though I should close this topic finally by describing what was the cause of the issue described by me in the topic post:

When this happened with me I used HFSLIP in a way that I made a separate .cmd file to run hfcleanup separately from the slipstreaming process, i.e. I made a HFCLEANU.CMD file, copied some parts of the code, and modified it to run as a separate batch script to be used on an already HFSLIPPED SOURCESS folder. (it was similiar if I set DIAGNOSIC==1)

The problem was, that this way my HFCLEANUP.CMD have not recognised that the SOURCESS folder had FDV fileset, as it would if I ran it according to its normal use in HFSLIP. HFCLEANUP recabs FDV fileset properly that way.

Problem solved. My fault :blushing: Thanks for everyone's time who answered

Edited by whitehorses

• 2 months later...

RBCC - These aren't hfcleanup questions, but I'll answer them anyway. The installation INFs you mention are described in a separate hfslip thread for slipstreaming drivers. It will take some of your legwork to get them to install properly, but it is possible. The txtmode.sif file you mention is puzzling. I assume you mean txtsetup.sif. If you place our txtsetup.sif file in your source\i386 folder and the resultant image installs correctly, then you can leave the modded txtsetup.sif in the source\i386 prior to running hfslip.