DrivercabHelper Version 1.1

daddydave

I can confirm that Lindiro's inf does show up as "UCS-2 little endian" in Notepad++.

Not sure what to do yet. (rewrite in from scratch in Python?)

I could warn the user, that could be a good interim band-aid, but I'd really like to able to just handle it.

Is converting it to ANSI the right thing to do? What about characters that can't be represented in ANSI?

Well, it's just a thought ;) You can't use Unicode, then try something else - why not ANSI?

As for charecters - I don't think there will be problems with installing drivers. But there will be unreadable lines in drevices > drivers. Unfortunatelly there is no other way to deal with it except creating driver packs or just INF pack for replacement. Or editing it manually :)

PS Or maybe you find the way to edit Unicode files...

Edited by Oleg_II

daddydave I'm also having trouble with my Intel chipset drivers not installing as well as my ATI graphics driver. None of my chipset drivers installed even though your program updated the INF files properly. After the install I had to go to the device manager and search for the driver files which were located in the I386 folder on the CD. With the ATI driver the INF file looks for a dll file that is located in a sub folder. The sub folder did not copy over to I386 folder. To install the driver I had to delete the driver from device manager and reinstall it from the original source.

[thought balloon]I wonder if I can convert Unicode to ANSI and back to Unicode [/thought balloon]
I never checked how other tools handle it, but it can't be done from DOS if there are exotic characters in the original Unicode file; they'll get replaced by gibberish.

ëàèùµéçõůšœûø

• 2 months later...

is there some instructions for drivercabhelper? What to put where? Do I use this before HFSlip? How do I set it up to use with HFSlip? Do I run this within Hfslip?

John

is there some instructions for drivercabhelper? What to put where? Do I use this before HFSlip? How do I set it up to use with HFSlip? Do I run this within Hfslip?

John

The instructions are in the first post in this thread. Notice from the screenshot it is interactive. It runs prior to running HFSLIP and preps the DRIVERCAB folder for HFSLIP according to Oleg_II's specs. (Follow the links to Oleg II's method thread and Tomcat76's clarification thread.) It is not necessary to re-run it every time you run HFSLIP, just run it once after you are finished creating the source folder containing all your drivers and INF files.

The only thing DrivercabHelper does is copy the files from the source folder to the destination folder, in the process modifying the INF files to Oleg_II's specs. By design, it will erase anything in the destination folder before copying files there. The destination folder is ultimately HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB. The Unicode file bug is still there, I had hoped to fix it by now but I haven't had time.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Edited by daddydave

• 4 months later...

New version! Bug reports welcome!

I caught a break when the AutoItv3 people (or person, Jon Bennett) added built-in Unicode support sooner than I thought. Then I had to write a CheckBOM function to test whether the file was UTF-8, or one of the flavors of UTF-16, or ANSI, edited a couple more lines and then I was done.

Edited by daddydave