HELP: want more than 2 IDE devices when MB got 1 IDE slot.....

I got a ECS 915G-A motherboard which has only 1 IDE slot. In the past I had motherboards with 4 IDE slots (for RAID, etc.). I guess these new motherboards are phasing out IDE slots and replacing them with SATA slots. I have a IDE HD & 2 IDE DVD drives. As you can see, I can only use 1 HD & 1 DVD drive. I do not want to buy a new HD. Is there any way to get another IDE device? Do I have to buy one of those IDE expansion boards?

You ca only use 2 devices on a single ide slot (one slave and one master), in your case the only solution remainig is to buy an IDE PCI adapter or if you have some more money buy a new motherboard

Edited by amocanu

BEWARE!

Most IDE expansion cards do NOT properly support ATAPI (needed for optical drives). I even ordered a Promise Ultra133 card at almost $100 (with taxes) and ended up having to return it. Very very few IDE cards properly support optical drives.

BEWARE!

Most IDE expansion cards do NOT properly support ATAPI (needed for optical drives). I even ordered a Promise Ultra133 card at almost $100 (with taxes) and ended up having to return it. Very very few IDE cards properly support optical drives.

uhh, i got my Promise Ultra66 card to work with my optical drives once.

then i took the card out, and haven't tried it since it didn't work in a different computer. i never got around to trying it again.

If you buy the cards with VIA chip it will even work with Optical devices...

Yes, that may well be...

... so since most cards use that chip most cards will work.

... but that is simply not the case.

A quick search on google will show just how many different types of IDE cards people have problems with when it comes to DVD writers because ATAPI is not properly supported. The only chip that I have seen repeatidely identified as working without any issues and, by the way, was the only thing that worked with my Pioneers, are IDE controllers based on the ITE 8112.

There also a very large thread on cdfreaks which shows in great detail how much of a problem it can be.

That’s strange, I use the VIA VT6421L chip and it can handle DVD burners at ATA66 with no problem, even when I burn at 16x. I use them when people run out of PATA lines on there motherboard. This chip supports 2 SATA drives and 2 PATA drives. Info here. Note that these cards cost like 10-15 US$.

From there site: "Compliant with the Serial ATA specification 1.0, the VIA VT6421 offers high performance Serial ATA RAID functionality to the full spectrum of PC processor platforms for desktops, mobile systems and servers. Supporting all kinds of ATA and ATAPI devices, including HDDs, CDs, DVDs, high capacity removable devices and featuring 32-bit PCI and PCMCIA interfaces, the VIA VT6420 enables seamless transition to the emerging Serial ATA technology for PCs and mobile systems."

Let me see what guys and girls at cdfreaks.com say...

EDIT: I forgot to say that more of my customers have this, and I don’t use it for my self.

I was looking at the posts on cdfreaks.com and I see that people have problems with some Silicon Image chips and the some cards from Promise.

Found this on newegg´s page:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16816132009

Silicon Image stuff indeed doesn’t work with optical drives... that sux...

Edited by puntoMX