• 2 weeks later...
i agree jcarle very nice points indeed

That's almost funny coming from you, I left this place some 2 months ago

as a result of getting jacked off with the "Your a so & so who knows jack"

responses from you amongst others.

If someone don't know something & find that the search feature yields

results that would take 3 hours to read, quite often it's easier to just

ask in another post, but people like YOU just get on their case because

you know the answer as you read it in another post...

How about we get off peoples cases when they ask something that has been

asked before, the search feature is quite useless if you don't know exactly

what to search for as what is worded in the search can be the making or

breaking of what you look for.

I love the information getting around this forum, I hate the young know-it-alls

who make it a point of ridiculing you because they can, they wouldn't be doing

so if they were standing in front of me, there's no respect bred into the youth

of today, & no discipline to boot either, this is not a place I would want to spend

my precious spare time on taking insults from kids.

How about we get off peoples cases when they ask something that has been

asked before, the search feature is quite useless if you don't know exactly

what to search for as what is worded in the search can be the making or

breaking of what you look for.

As far as I'm concerned, the length of my reply depends on how difficult the information is to find and how the question has been asked.

And I've already answered with just a link and a smiley : I know searching is sometimes hard without proper keywords. Everybody seemed OK with this.

I love the information getting around this forum, I hate the young know-it-alls

who make it a point of ridiculing you because they can, they wouldn't be doing

so if they were standing in front of me, there's no respect bred into the youth

of today, & no discipline to boot either, this is not a place I would want to spend

my precious spare time on taking insults from kids.

A lot of msfn members are young and school sometimes just takes a lot of time : you'd like to help as much as possible but don't necessarily have enough time too.

Btw, maybe we should have a sort of FAQ/central topics.

there's no respect bred into the youth of today, & no discipline to boot either

As I said, I'm 18. And far from being irrespectuous. Just as an example : recently I was in the subway, going back home and an old man entered. I was the only under 24 and the only who moved; before giving my seat, I took a look at the others there and noone was even starting to move.

You can't say such things. There are many, many posts at msfn and we don't necessarily know how old people are. And maybe the most important thing : something that appear evident to me often doesn't to someone else and I rarely realize this.

:gettinglate:

That's almost funny coming from you, I left this place some 2 months ago as a result of getting jacked off with the "Your a so & so who knows jack" responses from you amongst others. If someone don't know something & find that the search feature yields results that would take 3 hours to read, quite often it's easier to just ask in another post, but people like YOU just get on their case because you know the answer as you read it in another post...

How about we get off peoples cases when they ask something that has been asked before, the search feature is quite useless if you don't know exactly what to search for as what is worded in the search can be the making or breaking of what you look for.

I love the information getting around this forum, I hate the young know-it-alls who make it a point of ridiculing you because they can, they wouldn't be doing so if they were standing in front of me, there's no respect bred into the youth of today, & no discipline to boot either, this is not a place I would want to spend my precious spare time on taking insults from kids.

This is exactly the kind of reply that we didn't want here. First off, it's a direct attack on Lost Soul, and secondly, it brings nothing but negativity to the table. I'm sorry that you felt annoyed with some of the responses that you got before, but if you stick around and ignore some of the flak that might come your way, I feel that you tend to get quality information around here.

The search here is powered by the Google search engine. A couple of simple keywords and then a little bit of personal filtering will usually find you what you're looking for.

I too love the information going around this forum. There's a lot of it, and it's usually pretty good. (And I'm not being sarcastic, either!)

How can you tell that people are "young know-it-alls"? Some members post their birthdays in their personal profiles, but others do not. And to be honest, I've found the opposite to also be true. Some (not all) adults seem to have the impression that because they are older, they automatically have the right answer. I'm not saying this is the case with you, but I've seen it a number of times. You simply can't make generalized judgements about the "sub-25" age group.

This is exactly the kind of reply that we didn't want here. First off, it's a direct attack on Lost Soul, and secondly, it brings nothing but negativity to the table. I'm sorry that you felt annoyed with some of the responses that you got before, but if you stick around and ignore some of the flak that might come your way, I feel that you tend to get quality information around here.

You must think I'm the only person who feels the way I do about this place,

If I had to I could mention the names of over a dozen members who feel exactly the same way, & have left for exactly the same reasons.

2 years ago you could log on & see an absolute minimum of 100+ members

logged in at any one time.

On a good day now you might find 60, the statistics speak for themselves.

& I don't mean the total users online, which includes the passer by browsers who

found the place via google or whatever, I mean members logged in.

The search here is powered by the Google search engine. A couple of simple keywords and then a little bit of personal filtering will usually find you what you're looking for.

I just did a search on a subject I read about 3 years ago on here, the search

yielded results that netted an absolute minimum of 11 pages of 75 posts,

some - were 37 pages long within

each post, who would want to waste the time reading every single page,

not many, but hey, it's always easier to flame the noob than post the help

as it so often seems.

It's the few good members like prathapml, Jeremy, Bledd, cluberty & a few

others here that give me any hope of getting a straight answer without the

smug remarks & sarcasm.

It's all good & well to start a " Lets Chill " thread, it's near impossible to

imagine it ever happening without some form of user point system applied

whereas a member can be added or subtracted points based on the

usefulness of their post.

We need a way to keep the procrastinators from ruining posts with their

misinterpreted / misinformed or just plain rude reply that so often leaves

a bad feel to the place.

I noticed it was just adopted on the aeroxp forums, & now those who

would have normally posted a schmuck unnecessary reply, actually

think twice before doing so, for fear of losing points, it gives the poster

something to think about before blerting off for nothing.

Edited by Hammer

You must think I'm the only person who feels the way I do about this place, If I had to I could mention the names of over a dozen members who feel exactly the same way, & have left for exactly the same reasons. 2 years ago you could log on & see an absolute minimum of 100+ members logged in at any one time. On a good day now you might find 60, the statistics speak for themselves. & I don't mean the total users online, which includes the passer by browsers who found the place via google or whatever, I mean members logged in.

How do you know what I'm thinking about you in particular? I realize that you are not a unique individual when it comes to your views on MSFN. Have I said anything concrete to argue otherwise?

The number of members logged in nowadays also has to do with different methods implemented on the forums and in browsers. You might realize that it's not possible to have cookies stored on two different computers, both having you logged in. When I log into the forums from my desktop, I need to then re-login from my laptop. That wasn't the case beforehand.

I just did a search on a subject I read about 3 years ago on here, the search yielded results that netted an absolute minimum of 11 pages of 75 posts, some - were 37 pages long within each post, who would want to waste the time reading every single page, not many, but hey, it's always easier to flame the noob than post the help as it so often seems. It's the few good members like prathapml, Jeremy, Bledd, cluberty & a few others here that give me any hope of getting a straight answer without the smug remarks & sarcasm.

What was the topic you wanted to search for? There are ways of refining your searches to help reduce the amount of replies, but you also need to realize that MSFN has been around for quite a while, and if you simply take a general search, you're going to get a lot of hits. Did you, for example, limit your search to posts over a year old? Search a specific set of forums? Try to find the user that posted the information?

How about the other members here? Just because you don't get along with a particular member doesn't mean that they can't stimulate good discussion. Have a look at this thread. I know it's a long read, but if you skim over it, you'll see how the members there probably wouldnt' sit down for a cup of tea, but they do have a very in depth and IMO a very productive discussion in the end. You can probably get a very good consise understanding of the benefits and downsides to compiler methods, assembly, .NET, and so on.

It's all good & well to start a " Lets Chill " thread, it's near impossible to imagine it ever happening without some form of user point system applied whereas a member can be added or subtracted points based on the usefulness of their post.

We need a way to keep the procrastinators from ruining posts with their misinterpreted / misinformed or just plain rude reply that so often leaves a bad feel to the place. I noticed it was just adopted on the aeroxp forums, & now those who

would have normally posted a schmuck unnecessary reply, actually think twice before doing so, for fear of losing points, it gives the poster something to think about before blerting off for nothing.

There has been discussion about a "rating" system for the members, but it's been turned down, because in the end it doesn't hold too much merit. Who's to say that a group of buddies don't just give themselves good ratings (when in fact, they're the "bad crowd" so to speak)? There is a warning system in place here at MSFN, and I can assure you that it is used when appropriate. If you don't like a user's reply (it's rude, or flaming, or anything else inappropriate), you can use the report button, and the moderating team gets sent an e-mail with your comments and a link to the post in question. We can then take appropriate action.

If you don't like a user's reply (it's rude, or flaming, or anything else inappropriate), you can use the report button, and the moderating team gets sent an e-mail with your comments and a link to the post in question. We can then take appropriate action.

I tried that & got a one word reply back from allanol some 2 years ago,

the reply was " Ritalin "

I was lost for words & gave up any hope for any form of justice being

served.

I then pointed out the fact the member did it again & was given a reply

that read " the moderators cannot read every post on the forum "

Thus my generally contempt attitude overall.

As far as the search go's I made a post about what I was looking for,

iv'e given up searching.

Thanks anyway.!

If you don't like a user's reply (it's rude, or flaming, or anything else inappropriate), you can use the report button, and the moderating team gets sent an e-mail with your comments and a link to the post in question. We can then take appropriate action.

I tried that & got a one word reply back from allanol some 2 years ago,

the reply was " Ritalin "

I was lost for words & gave up any hope for any form of justice being

served.

I then pointed out the fact the member did it again & was given a reply

that read " the moderators cannot read every post on the forum "

Thus my generally contempt attitude overall.

As far as the search go's I made a post about what I was looking for,

iv'e given up searching.

Thanks anyway.!

Keep in mind, there's a been a fair amount of change within the moderators of MSFN since then.

@Hammer- I don't know who did what to whom, but I've been here two years. I have joined a few other forums before and since I came here. I am nowhere near qualified to answere even some of the basic questions that get asked in this forum but I am still here and not at the others because of exactly the opposite reason for your annoyance. Sometimes someone will get a little hot under the collar but I still find this place, MSFN, to be very helpful and friendly and because of that I am here very regularly.

I don't know the statistics from 2 or 3 years ago and I wouldn't know how to compare them to now. Yesterday, I looked at what the numbers were and there were 90+ people logged in and over 1000 people viewing pages. I think that looks pretty good.

Basic rules I try to guide myself with:

Honey, not vinegar

Don't rise to the bait

Lead by example

Everybody has a bad day

:)

DL

Hmmm. Anyway you cut this forum, MSFN is unique in what it provides and the depth of knowledge of its members. I run a small board and am a member of several others. I've seen many many boards come and go in the last ten+ years and many of them imploded from internal friction.

I cherish the bunch here and the willingness to part with hard-earned information with nothing expected in return. It is a special type of person who sticks with it.

I wish all the admins and mods here a great New Year and say many thanks for keeping this place going! :^) Oh, et toi aussi, jcarle! lol

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i just wanted to add my little bit!

i'm a young know it all, (if that means i'm a young know it all just because i'm under 25) and I personally feel that this forum isn't that bad, I mean theres some peoples posts i tend to discard as useful sometimes as they seem to go on about how they are so right type of thing, but generally i find its not to bad, i do agree with the search problem, but thats not this forum, thats everyforum, its a problem of a forum being succesful, (in my opinion)

I like to agree with DL's rules, although i've many times gone to almost post something because i was annoyed with something someone else posted, but I feel its just easier not to argue! I'm not sure about anyone else but i've atualy posted huge responses then realised it would be childish and silly and clicked cancel :unsure:

Regarding the comment about the moderators, i've noticed many forums will defend popular members, even if they do disobey the rules, but as soon as a new person does the same thing they get punished, its just another unfair fact of life i think,I feel it happens with everything.

off topic...i just noticed a button taht says 'Toggle Side Panel' never noticed it before, .... actually the whole posting thing looks abit different..hrmmm