PCs per IT Tech.

jayfoley

I work for a school district as an IT Technician, I am trying to find data and/or examples on how many PCs an IT Technican is responsible for in the education, corporate and government environments. We are trying to use this data to justify hiring more IT Techs and the number of computer contiually grows. Does anyone have any examples, links or data on this.

Example: 3 Technicians per 500 PCs in a corporate insurance environment.

Thanks for all help in advance.

I work for a school district as an IT Technician, I am trying to find data and/or examples on how many PCs an IT Technican is responsible for in the education, corporate and government environments. We are trying to use this data to justify hiring more IT Techs and the number of computer contiually grows. Does anyone have any examples, links or data on this.

Example: 3 Technicians per 500 PCs in a corporate insurance environment.

Thanks for all help in advance.

My school has 5 members in the IT department responsible for a little over 600-700 PCs. So around 140 PCs per IT technician.

Im currently working at a school, maintaing the PCs and Laptops, maintainging the network, including upgrades etc...

We have approx: 300 PCs & 150 Laptops

We have, my boss who is the Network manager, an IT Support staff (deals more with pupils and changing toners etc) then theres me, who makes sure everything works, lol.

Approx. 8000 registered network devices between student, staff and faculty on campus, computers, printers, etc. We will also to an extent support the personal computers which our employees and students have at home and are not owned by the school.

3 - Full Time HW/SW repair technicians

3 - Flex Time HW/SW repair technicians, remaining time they install new systems.

8 - call center help desk employees

40-50 - distributed support personnel around campus in departments

140-160 other IT personnel for networking, programming, data services support and deployment. This number also includes management.

We will also to an extent support the personal computers which our employees and students have at home and are not owned by the school.

:no:

Sommit I'd never do at work!

It's is not by choice. It is a requirement of the job. Makes life very interesting.

you can't always just go by how many users/computers you have to work with, it also involves what shape your environment is in also. Do you have a standard images for all your machines? do you have all your applications packaged and pushed/pulled to the machines remotely or does a tech have to walk up to a machine to install software manually. many companies will just go on "ticket Count" or Hours billed to justify the # of technicians they have or want. some metrics might help you justify how many techs can be needed for the work available. The other Question that comes to mind is how much of a Technicians time should be spent fixing (band-aiding) problems and how much is spent actually finding a solution to the problems you and and preparing to roll out new software or hardware so that it can be properly tested and implemented. :) there can be quite a few factors depending on how you look at the situation

• 2 months later...

We have a medium campus site (manufacturing plant) with one deskside tech for approx 900 users and 700 systems. However, we are very standardized, have a numebr of tools/utilities and have a stable infrstructure. We don't work on phones, copiers, change toner or have to support home systems (thank God). If you're anything like our local school though, this isn't the case.

fizban2 has a point with the metrics. If you track where you're spending your time, say for a month or so, you should get a pretty good idea of what your most time intensive tasks are, how repeatitive they are and if another tech is justified.