WMP11 progress

Tomcat76

Just a little heads up... We're not there yet...

I upgraded the WMP11 executable a few days ago; a newer version was released of which the latest binaries are dated November 2nd. The one I was using till then contained binaries last updated on October 19th.

This upgrade fixed some problems, but an important one still remains: the post-setup wizard is broken.

Right before the flying Windows animation is supposed to start an error dialog with these details comes up:

Title: msoobe.exe - Application Error

Message: The exception unknown software exception (0xc06d007e) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812a5b.

The only site with more info on this error related to msoobe.exe is a Japanese forum :)

It seems that one or more of the WMP11 core files are responsible for this, but not the new files like wmpeffects.dll; the problem is to be found among the files which already exist in the original Windows source.

Localized versions won't be supported. They still break Windows (themes, network connectivity, Event Viewer logs, etc.) and there are no localized versions of KB898543 or any other public hotfix which updates msobmain.dll to fix the msoobe error.

Edited by Tomcat76

Nice post count :P

KB894871 is non-public too. Believe me... I already did an extensive search the other day and the KB898543 hotfix was the only "downloadable" I could find. This is how I also figured out that the missing background music on the post-setup wizard when slipstreaming WMP10 is a known issue to MS...

@boooggy...

Nice to see you here :)

Contact MS? Sure... And then make the links public? :rolleyes:

Edited by Tomcat76

well tomcat if you have a retail xp u can ask m$ support for that specific hotfix in your language......

or even if u have an oem copy u can ask ...but i am not sure they will give it to u.... :P

or even better u can try look if that fix is on xable's share in other languages then english.... :w00t:

@boooggy...

Don't know if you realize this, but this is the HFSLIP forum. I can't tell every non-English person to call MS for something that I consider a "severe" problem which requires a public update. Calling MS will only help myself.

@the_guy...

WMP11 wasn't really "locked" for other languages since its slipstreaming was introduced into HFSLIP. It's just that the first test release didn't copy over the relevant local binary from the wmfdist11 subpackage for non-English languages, but that's taken care of now in the latest release. The only problems are that localized versions of WMP11 are still "bad" (at least the Dutch one) and there are no public updates for non-English msobmain.dll files.

There's an unofficial German XPSP2 update pack floating around. I'll see if I can do something with that for the German folks.

i agree tomcat i know what u say.....

i had the same feeling when i had to fix this issues for my wmp 11 pack.....

and its stupid from m$ to create a installer that it creates other isuues....ok u might say that wmp 11 was not created for slipstream....bla bla....they knew that users will do that ....

i was thinking that we may report this issues at m$ but i dont think they will move a finger....i did that with ie7 beta2 and its still broken in ie7 final....

Edited by boooggy

@the_guy

What "upload section?"

@boooggy

Do you know by chance which file(s) are responsible for the "known issues"?

- thumbnail view broken

- no graphics in User Accounts dialog (show up as red X)

- autocomplete broken in Run box