Vista tcpip limit

duceyaj

well i've been searching around and found that disabling tcp auto tuning helps out alot. (although it doesn't have much to do with my original post)

Friday, 10 November 2006

A known bug in Vista's TCP stack has not been fixed for RTM. The network throughput suffers immensely (ie. is very very slow) for Vista machines when stateful packet inspection (SPI) feature of the certain firewalls (Checkpoint is one) is enabled. This is due to the new autotuning feature of the TCP stack in Vista. Microsoft took some liberies with the RFC specs to gain a little bit of performance, where as some firewall vendors don't allow for those types of changes to the TCP streams. Always check with your firewall vendor to see if there is an updated firmware available which handles Vista correctly. If that fails, you can fix this problem on Vista itself.

To fix this problem on Vista itself run the command below from an elevated command prompt (ie. Run as Administrator on CMD):

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Then reboot.

Your should see an imediate difference.

Check your throughput with MySpeed (try before and after to see the difference).

NOTE: this only fixes the SPI issue. It will not help gain performance under other circumstances.

-link

Edited by duceyaj

I don't think he was talking about the issue with the slow connection. I think he was asking about the number of TCP connections. If thats so here is some information I posted in the Vista Tips and Tricks section concerning Event ID 4226 at:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...=588750;

BTW, there isn't any way to get around it (for right now), and actually there is no need to get around it once you understand whats happening.

Edited by Spooky

kartel is right Vista does do this all by its self.

Plus, disabling autotuning is not such a good idea because other issues are introduced such as too many re-transmits that lessen the efficiency of the connection. Raw speed might be there but without efficiency the raw speed your seeing is not doing you much good if everything has to be re-transmitted. On the other hand its true that the SPI in the firewall doesn't handle it very well.

This is probably going to turn out to be one of those 'Windows Urban Myth' things thats presented as a cure all for everything.

Autotuning has nothing at all to do with the 4226 error you posted about. Your probably seeing what your perceiving as a fix because your connections are not timing out this time, the internet is such a fickle place. Read the post about this error in the Vista Tweaks and Tips section at:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...=588750;

Vista does it all by itself.

No need to hack the registry.

Edited by Spooky

thanks for the info. i figured out why my connections were timing out. everything else but internet explorer, or course. it was because i had SPI enabled in my router. i disabled that and re-enabled auto tuning and everything seems to work fine now. thanks.

Try this, disable the IPv6. Some routers can't deal with IPv6. I don't think Vista is your real issue, its just where your seeing the issue occur. Have you tried connecting straight to the internet without the router? Also remember the SPI in the Vista firewall also has a little issue with SP1. Try disabling the Vista firewall and connecting straight to the internet without the router.

To disable IPv6, open up the properties of your connection and uncheck the IPv6.

seems just disabling SPI in my router isn't enough. i had to disable the router firewall completely. i hope there's a fix for this soon...
Edited by Spooky

I am also having problems related to that tcpip (4226) warning. But with me, my wireless connection drops completely and I can't get it to connect until I restart my computer. I rarely get the warning when I do standard surfing but whenever I try to use a P2P program like eMule my connection always drops. On XP SP2 I have never seen this happen and my wireless connection rarely drops.

After I saw this post I tried to disable IPv6, and when that didn't work, I tried to disable the windows firewall, but still no luck...

That just means that 26 timed out.

Did you have your torrent client set up to do more than 10?

that's it.. we need a patch..

i just started a torrent and it didnt connect to any peers.. the half-open connections were 36, but only 10 are allowed.. so it was slow as hel..

Edited by Spooky

You did that patch for XP didn't you.

You probably will not see such a patch for Vista. Actually the limit of 10 is not a problem.

yup. i have it set to 80 which is fine for my XP.. i dont wanna set it to less than 10, just because of vista though..

yup. i have it set to 80 which is fine for my XP.. i dont wanna set it to less than 10, just because of vista though..

set your half open connections to 4 in your bt client and you should be fine. i had mine set at 100+ on XP with the 4226 patch but without the patch, you can't have anything higher on vista without a patch.

Edited by duceyaj