ESET tool to get rid of Symantec and McAfee !

Yes, ESET did it! :lol:

They made a tool to uninstall McAfee and Symantec antivirus.

Have a look at this page

Free Uninstallers for Antivirus Software

Automated Uninstaller to remove Symantec and McAfee antivirus products

Some antivirus software vendors make it hard to remove their software. ESET's partners have developed tools to make it easy to remove your old antivirus software and upgrade to NOD32. ESET provides these files and references as a public service, at no cost, and with no implied or express warranties. Currently we have help for Symantec and McAfee products.

There is no download link and you have to contact a representative in order to get it but still, it's there.

Maybe that someone may ask for it and share it here?

(no time right now for that)

B)

An ESET Tech Support Representative has updated this case with the following information:

Hello

below is a link to the AV uninstaller utility , please keep in mind that this will not work on the latest versions of Norton and McAfee , and you may need to contact the vendor for support.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninsta...ller-Tool.shtml

Thank you

Eset Tech Support

If I knew it would be on SoftPedia I wouldn't have had to e-mail ESET. It doesn't work on the latest versions? What a shame...

This utility automatically uninstall Dr Solomon AntiVirus Toolkit, McAfee VirusScan, Norton AntiVirus, F-Prot Pro and F-Secure AV Products without the user having to know which one they have installed.

You can also run it in silent mode by using /S command.

Last Updated: May 21st, 2005 19:31

What the hell...? I don't trust this at all. I replied to ESET with the following:

ESET,

I've just reviewed this tool on SoftPedia. According to this site, this tool has been downloaded 18,528 times and was released on May 21st, 2005. The description also looks bogus as it says:

"This utility automatically uninstall Dr Solomon AntiVirus Toolkit, McAfee VirusScan, Norton AntiVirus F-Prot Pro and F-Secure AV Products without the user having to know which one they have installed."

AntiVirus Toolkit is not made by "Dr Solomon", but by G-DATA Security. Nice grammatical errors as well. Why would ESET state on their site (http://www.eset.com/download/av-uninstallers.php) that users would need to contact an ESET Representative in order to obtain a copy of this and then be sent to a site that provides freeware tools to the public on a daily basis?

At first I thought this was some sort of prank, but then I realized that if it was, ESET would have warned me about it in their response to my inquiry. I'm extremely disappointed.

Jeremy

Edited by Jeremy

Ok, so there is a Dr Dolomon's AntiVirus Toolkit, but anyways...

Kaspersky found no virus in this, but when run it doesn't show much, no indication that it's owned by ESET.

snap1ti5.png

The filename is just uninstav.exe. Also, when run, the Taskbar button has no title on it. Extremely suspicious.