Motherboard Problem?

Nerwin

I recently installed a 250w PSU to take over from a 450w PSU thats was not working very good and the 250w powerd it and ran well for about 2-3 weeks and i come home and its off and i went to try to turn it on it started for 3 secs then turned off, so i bought a 430 PSU and installed it today and when i push the button it did nothen, i checked my cable they where alright and i tird it one more time, did nothen, so my guess is it would be the motherboard died or something. can anyone help?

Well I tested my motherboard with a differnt Power supply and it worked so my motherboard is good, but now its my brand new power supply not working

Maybe you have a problem with the electricity in your wall... it's not normal for your lights to dim when you turn on your computer.

I'd check the wiring standards in your house. If a power supply is causing that much of a drop in the voltage of the rest of the house, then you've got bigger problems. You're actually running the risk of fires, since the voltage in the walls is lower.

Lower voltage means higher current - higher current means more heat - more heat means possible fires.

No i check my wiring standeds is up to code. Say if i had a night light plug into the same outlet it will do that but it will dim and then brighting back up

If an electrical engineer (Zxian) and a systems developer (Me) tell you that there's cause for concern in your wiring, then maybe you should seriously consider having your electrical outlets inspected by a qualified electrician.

There is absolutely nothing normal about the lights diming because you plug something in.

my sound system does that to my room, its not that big a deal, because if an outlet is unused, levels of electricity pipeline themselves, then when something else turns on theres a dip in power because now another thing is being powered. it'll happen with anything over 250W plugged in if im not mistaken.

If an electrical engineer (Zxian) and a systems developer (Me) tell you that there's cause for concern in your wiring, then maybe you should seriously consider having your electrical outlets inspected by a qualified electrician.

There is absolutely nothing normal about the lights diming because you plug something in.

:yes:

Sitting next to me right now is a friend of mine working as an electrician for the national electricity company and this is what he says: "Get a qualified electrician to inspect the wiring in the house. Urgently!"

I've actually used lighting as a test for my house's power stability. Measure the luminance level of a piece of paper in the middle of the room with all the lights on, but no appliances (I had access to a luminance meter - they're pretty pricey). Then start: Fridge, stereo, TV, computers (2 of them), laptop, and anything else that I can think of. Re-measure the luminance.

If the luminance measurement dropped by more than 5% (a noticable amount "by eye"), then you should get things checked. Even at my girlfriends' place, which has wiring from the 1950's doesn't have this problem when we turn on the 1100W space heater. If your 250W or 450W PSU is doing this for the average computer, then you've got issues.

The problem could lie either with the wiring in your house, or the wiring going to your house. Basically, whatever is supplying the power can't stand up to the sudden change in load. Another 4A of current (~500W) should cause absolutely no change in the voltage levels of your house. If they drop by more than 5%, you actually run the risk of damaging other electronic equipment you own!

P.S. - Dangit jcarle! I'm not an electical engineer... It's Engineering Physics! :P