Significantly Faster Vista Setup

Aegis

It appears to me that you can install Vista without a Serial Number (although it warns that there will be problems). Can someone confirm that this is the case? I'd like to know what happens if you continue the installation without a Serial Number.

It appears to me that you can install Vista without a Serial Number (although it warns that there will be problems). Can someone confirm that this is the case? I'd like to know what happens if you continue the installation without a Serial Number.

you will get 14 days to input a key or vista will lock down, and it looks to be time compressed, no version of vista installed that fast, and i haven't heard of any miracle compression that would let them do that :)

One word: ramdrive.

Maxes out an IDE or SATA interface and nearly zero seek time.

Indeed.

But transfer rates should also be too high: you have to write 8GB on your HD. Let's say you do this at 50MB/s and you still need 2 minutes 40 seconds.

That's the whole video length! File copy did not take so long, Vista Ultimate is maybe bigger than 8GB, I'd like to write continuously at 50MB/s when playing with 10 000 files.

And what about the DVD read speed ?

Else they're using a ramdrive plus a network share else the author of this video is nuhi! :P

However I have to agree installation can be shortened by several minutes if you do file copy while you're asking the user for his infos.

That videos gotta be sped up, I've run the setup on my machine which installs XP in an hour flat, and it takes Vista 2 to 3 hours....

Unless build 6000 has really sped up the install process......

Just occured to me it's possible this guy was running a setup either off a hard drive or over a network share......

Edited by Nakatomi2010

The video is not a fake, its an actual install....but...parts of the video are time compressed to make things look faster then they really are. If you watch the whole thing, at the end you will see the statement "This screencast shows you the process involved in installing Windows". Its just to show the process and some parts were time compressed to move the video along.

Nakatomi2010: It takes you 2 to 3 hours to install Vista? WoW! The longest its taken me with some builds was 27 minutes flat, RC2 build 5744 installs in 22 minutes for me.

That videos gotta be sped up, I've run the setup on my machine which installs XP in an hour flat, and it takes Vista 2 to 3 hours....

Unless build 6000 has really sped up the install process......

Just occured to me it's possible this guy was running a setup either off a hard drive or over a network share......

Edited by Spooky

If you watch the whole thing, at the end you will see the statement "This screencast shows you the process involved in installing Windows". Its just to show the process and some parts were time compressed to move the video along.

:blink::blushing:

...Thanks for pointing out I forgot to catch the ending...

:)

Yes the Vista install is much more streamlined than its predecessors and should be far less daunting for the average Joe users that run it.

Hell, it's almost too easy.