network is this possible

Lost Soul

hi im just getting into networking, im very new at it and im just reading,, articles and how to's .. i want to build a network and have it do a good few things,,

1 id like to use my 2003 windows server as a all access point/ internet gateway (machine firewall), plus have it store various things like a few websites meaning web/http server on it..,,

2, id like to be able to connect to it wirelessly as well as ethernet, with my laptop and regular pc, and also my mythtv

3 id also like to have a some type of a dedicated storage server that only can be connected to by people on the network, and it also can not connect to the internet (can people on the network connect to this wirelessly ??)

and lastly, id like all the network users,, meaning mostly my family, to be able to use and share a single printer,

can some one help point me in the right direction, im sure its possible, well most of it,

Edited by Lost Soul

well heres a picture of a rough draft layout of what im trying to accomplish,, if theres better ways to accomplish this pls give me your ideals,, if you have any ideals to simplify this those ideals would be great also.

btw this is for the home, and it will basically be used by me, my wife, and kids,, (family),, also whats not added in the picture is my mythtv system, i forgot to add it, but it will basically connected to the internet wirelessly

post-10764-1163085670_thumb.jpg

1 id like to use my 2003 windows server as a all access point/ internet gateway (machine firewall), plus have it store various things like a few websites meaning web/http server on it..,,
You may want to consider Internet Security and Acceleration Server. But a cheaper way to go is to use Internet Connection Sharing with a firewall. You can even use the Windows one.

You could consider using Routing and Remote Access to use your server as a NAT router as well.

You'll need to install IIS6 or some other web server for serving web pages. IIS is no longer installed by default as it was in Win2000, but you can install it from Add/Remove Programs.

2, id like to be able to connect to it wirelessly as well as ethernet, with my laptop and regular pc, and also my mythtv
Install a wireless device in the server and then have the clients connect to the "Ad Hoc" network.
3 id also like to have a some type of a dedicated storage server that only can be connected to by people on the network, and it also can not connect to the internet (can people on the network connect to this wirelessly ??)
The only way to truly segregate the storage device from the internet is to do so physically. You would probably be OK with an up-to-date server with good security policies and effective NTFS permissions.
and lastly, id like all the network users,, meaning mostly my family, to be able to use and share a single printer,
Just install the printer on the server and then share it out :) It can be as easy as that for most people.

thanks tain,, very helpful insight,, i never knew about the Ad-Hoc Mode and as for the isa server, it is pricey but very small in size which may prove to be powerful and resourceful,, ill have to look into that method more on its requirements and its settings

ok so i guess a new question or 2 has aroused now,,

can the isa server be used as a webserver ?

and also id like to make the isa / gateway,,, a headless machine and also do the same for the storage server, can these servers work ok as headless machines,

and when i need to adjust the settings in them,, would it be possible to just connect to them, from the first computer (my own) with RealVNC or another remote admin application ?

thanks again for pointing me in the right direction

can the isa server be used as a webserver ?
No. You need to install IIS or some other web server software. There are lots of them to choose from depending on what you want out of it.
and also id like to make the isa / gateway,,, a headless machine and also do the same for the storage server, can these servers work ok as headless machines,

and when i need to adjust the settings in them,, would it be possible to just connect to them, from the first computer (my own) with RealVNC or another remote admin application ?

Oh, you want the storage as its own separate server? Sounds like you may be happy with a consumer-grade NAS device. Here is a quick, random selection for ya to look at. For the headless bit, I use Ultr@VNC for my headless server and have no problems. Using a NAS or other similar device for the storage will be headless, but you will access the device via a web interface instead of VNC.

I didn't actually see your graphic before because it took me longer than four minutes to write that post. Here is some feedback on your plan:

-If the storage device is wireless, then you are negating the security that I assume you are pursuing by not connecting it to the net.

-The print server and the firewall will probably end up being the same machine as the web server/IAP.

Based on everything you are telling us, I think you might be happy with a WRT54GS if you haven't already purchased your copy of Win2K3.

hmmm sounds good i like the WRT54GS but im thinking of building a headless devil linux based unite to handle the internet access / firewall,, its very secure and i feel far superior over alot of things that ive seen so far, and as for price on it,, well,, its open source, so the price is definatly right and i have a few small old pcs laying around that i can use just for this purpose

but as for print server and web server, i guess ill have to make a dedicated machine just to hold these 2 services and do the tasks that i want, and yes ive already purchased windows server 2003 , ive been using it as a work station for the last few years, but its about time i got more of my money out of it

now as for the storage server, i like nas and all but it is pricey for the size that i need, im thinking of just putting some of my old pc parts together and adding up about 2 terrabytes of storage in a Win2K3 and just mapping the storage drive to all the pcs in the network that i want to share it with, i believe it can work fine headless, but the main issue i have / had with my (storage server having internet access,, is and always will be security because on this storage server, it will just be family oriented things, it will hold my wifes karaoke collection and her music collection, shes really into ripping her old 45's onto the pc as well as her cds, i built her a mp3 jukebox for the living room, and i felt it was best to have a music spot for everything so that it would be backed up away from the jukebox as well as easy to add additons, plus it will hold old family movies, and so forth) so thats why i really didnt want it to be able to connect to the internet, because i didnt want any trouble from like the ira or what ever they are called thinking we stole the music when thats not true.. so infact no internet access would be great for this server,, hence the word security.. but im not sure if this ruins my ability to connect wireless

The only way to truly segregate the storage device from the internet is to do so physically. You would probably be OK with an up-to-date server with good security policies and effective NTFS permissions.

Actually.. if you disable windows file and print sharing on the adapter connected to the internet, then really they will have to use an exploit of some sort to access files on the server from the internet side. Minor input but yeah.. the only way to TRULY segregate it is on a separate server.

Actually.. if you disable windows file and print sharing on the adapter connected to the internet, then really they will have to use an exploit of some sort to access files on the server from the internet side. Minor input but yeah.. the only way to TRULY segregate it is on a separate server.

Uh, why not just use an access list? Give the server a static IP, and block that IP from accessing the outside world from the firewall.

Edited by CptMurphy

Uh, why not just use an access list? Give the server a static IP, and block that IP from accessing the outside world from the firewall.

well that would block the server from calling out to the internet, but it wouldnt stop or prevent ppl from trying to access it from the internet

in other words that stops outgoing not incoming

hmm well i think atleast, but i could be wrong but it sounds like a good ideal

Edited by Lost Soul

Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Linux Router $59.99 You should get this router as it is Linux based and there are after market programs for it. It is the one that I have.

Visit www.linksys.com/gpl. The files available on this page have been provided under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Select your Linksys product model and a firmware version from the list below and download the source code library.

Linksys EZXS55W 10/100 Dual-Speed 5 Port Switch $29.99

Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable Modem with USB & Ethernet Connection (Ver2) $69.99 This of course if you do not already have a cable modem.

Also I for got to mention that you can use the Family File server as the print server as well.

Edited by Tinker

Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Linux Router $59.99 You should get this router as it is Linux based and there are after market programs for it. It is the one that I have.

Visit www.linksys.com/gpl. The files available on this page have been provided under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Select your Linksys product model and a firmware version from the list below and download the source code library.

Linksys EZXS55W 10/100 Dual-Speed 5 Port Switch $29.99

Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable Modem with USB & Ethernet Connection (Ver2) $69.99 This of course if you do not already have a cable modem.

Also I for got to mention that you can use the Family File server as the print server as well.

thank you for the 411

i just had to post this question because you got my curiosity up

did you choose this "Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Linux Router" because you felt it was more secure ? works better,, or what,, im gonna build the print and file server out of linux distros, and then also do the same for a seperate web server , i just am not sure on what type of distro to work with, im still learning linux and the bulk of my hands on with linux has been mainly on my mythtv boxes

any suggestions, ?

Most of the WRT series are held in high regard due to their great flexibity and overall performance. There is a large community of firmware hackers that truly make the devices the best they can be. There is one model not to get, though. The "L" model, I think, because the hardware is not as good.

Linux distros are mostly personal choice unless you have some very specific requirements to meet. Check out http://distrowatch.com/ to learn about them.

Sounds like you have quite the lab experiment going on over there. I recommend trying some of this stuff out in VMWare, VPC or with a LiveCD to learn the ropes. And focus on getting each real-world machine working one at a time instead of trying to get them all running at the same time.