Increase performance with nlite ?

knife

Hi,

I've been using nlite for a while with great success, wounderful for speeding up installation.

I lost the grip of windows when windows 2000 was introduced and I'm wondering if there is a simple answer to:

Will "Win Xp" have better performance (boottime, RAM usage) when reducing number of drivers or hardware support under "components" in nlite?

Or will fiddling with "drivers" and "harware support" only speed up installation and reduce discspace ?

//Knife

Since Windows install only drivers which you have then usually there will be no gain, but:

You may however gain some improvement if you remove lets say unused drivers which get installed if you have such hardware like Ports (parallel and COM), Firewire...

It will also speed up Windows handling INF folder since it has less files to parse through.

• 2 weeks later...

You can gain some performance by turning off unneeded services. (Search the web for the Black Viper tweaks - he seems to be offline, but his tweaks live on.)

Of course you can do this to any install (via Services.msc), but nLite will let you pre-configure your system that way from the get-go.

Edited by chapmani

CBC I see your point but boot up time does have to do with productivity so that is a human performance measure. So I can see it both ways. & I had at one time noticed a nice gain from nlite with boot up time. Now with the 100's of updates I am starting to see some loss.

compared to the original XP, yes, this is a lot faster, but by treating it like its the original, and not a customized version, it goes downhill. its why i never use automatic updating. one of my teachers who i'm good friends with in and out of school learned that the hard way, where an update wasn't compatible...that was the first time his laptop when back to the store. the second time was when it had hard drive failure...this next time will be if its data recovery doesn't work.

when you let someone else take care of what you use daily, its not really yours anymore...is it?