A New Zero-Day Vulnerability In Windows

N1K

"Microsoft and Secunia are warning about the discovery of a new 'Zero-day' vulnerability affecting all Microsoft based operating systems except Windows 2003. A vulnerability has been reported in Microsoft XML Core Services, which can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a users system.

More here

Yep, word came out yesterday. You can get thoroughly "pwn3d" via the XMLHTTP v4 ActiveX object (used in for AJAX namely), so IE users are at risk (including v7), and other apps based on the same rendering engine. So much for IE7 being sooooo much more secure :whistle:

BTW, your link is broken. Here's a link to the secunia advisory

ActiveX, you say...

securedyr5.png

:P

If anyone has a link to a malicious site using this exploit, I would appreciate it. This isn't scaring me at all.

Learn to SECURE YOUR IE!

Ugh! Are you still using Internet Explorer 5.0? Internet Explorer 5.0 has a bug that causes that message to pop up every time I use the back button or forward button, even when the web page don't use ActiveX.

IE7 on downloevel clients (read, not Vista) will probably always be vulnerable to the same exploits IE6 was vulnerable too, to some extent. Once it's on Vista and in protected mode, however, it would take a user a few "are you sure?" clicks to make this happen. Not impossible, but at least more difficult.

ActiveX, you say...

securedyr5.png

:P

If anyone has a link to a malicious site using this exploit, I would appreciate it. This isn't scaring me at all.

Learn to SECURE YOUR IE!

Ugh! Are you still using Internet Explorer 5.0? Internet Explorer 5.0 has a bug that causes that message to pop up every time I use the back button or forward button, even when the web page don't use ActiveX.

The webpage probably does, you just didn't see it ;)

I don't mind the message.