Sysinternals Win9x files will be removed

Petr

http://blogs.technet.com/sysinternals/ states:

Downloads: We will be migrating most Sysinternals tools to Microsoft.Com Downloads which has additional bandwidth for a better end-user experience. At Mark’s direction, we are not going to be migrating 100% of the tools for one of the following reasons:

1. It only worked on Win9x or DOS – the number of downloads didn’t justify the migration. These were eventually going to be removed from Sysinternals anyway.

Petr

Edited by Petr

http://blogs.technet.com/sysinternals/ states:
Downloads: We will be migrating most Sysinternals tools to Microsoft.Com Downloads which has additional bandwidth for a better end-user experience. At Mark’s direction, we are not going to be migrating 100% of the tools for one of the following reasons:

1. It only worked on Win9x or DOS – the number of downloads didn’t justify the migration. These were eventually going to be removed from Sysinternals anyway.

Petr

Also other stuff only meant to run on Windows NT/2000 only will get removed. My suggestion is to get everything of SysInternals site. Nice tools, altough I couldn't get the Rootkit Revealer finish its job on my PC.

I am not sure Sysinternals would allow that. For what I have seen elsewhere, they have taken down, in the recent past, compilation archives of their free utilities that were meant to go as addons to Bart PE XP discs, etc...

Might be worth asking them as it is stuff they abandon.

Have you got any respect for this forum on which you so abundantly post ?

I remind you that two threads got recently closed by moderators because of you.

I don't get it. Why do you insist on sawing the branch on which you are ?

Do you want to be banned ?

I se no 'warez' or anything of the such eiden. This thread is related to hanging onto and preventing useful win9x freeware/shareware utilities provided by sysinternals from being practically lost forever.

There is no illegal distribution of software as it was all once freely available by the comany untill the day they permanently remove it.

I se no 'warez' or anything of the such eiden. This thread is related to hanging onto and preventing useful win9x freeware/shareware utilities provided by sysinternals from being practically lost forever.

There is no illegal distribution of software as it was all once freely available by the comany untill the day they permanently remove it.

Actually you are wrong. I understand the good intent but if the freeware licence says "Not freely redistributable" it says so.

And it seems sysinternals utils fall under that, deprecated or not.

I contacted Sysinternals about a year ago, reguarding their EULA and how I'd like to be able to distribute their software in my BHT package. Their reply was that I should not distribute their software, and that they didn't have any licensing terms yet (pricing info was what I was after). ??? Needless to say, a full download of BHT comes with their tools, since they never gave me a full answer, or quote me a price on a license to distribute their software.

If you build BHT yourself, using my base package, it downloads from Sysinternal's site, which makes BHT as EULA-abiding as I can make it.

In other words, I think Sysinternals is more worried about corporate businesses that are redistributing their software for thousands of users, and possibly also making copies to bring home or something like that. They don't seem to care about the little man re-distributing their software.

I'd sent an email yesterday regarding such an issue and awaiting a reply.

following was the sent email:

Greetings,

According to the blogs - there is a section (noted at the bottom) regarding the removal of windows 9x/dos/etc [freeware]utilities that are slated for possible removal after and during the migration. Would it be allowable for others to then host/serve those 'legacy' utilities on another site if/when you no longer provide the utilities on the sysinternals site? Granted, there may not be alot of downloads of them to consider keeping such 'legacy' utilities around but there are still a fair amount of users who consider such utilities useful. It would be great if one could aid in keeping these utilities around through the matter of mirroring them if it's not in breach of the licensing agreement.

I appreciate and thank you for your time,

[name removed] (Chozo4)

--------------

2. Not compatible with XP or Vista – or had compatibility issues with other 3rd party applications and were slated for removal pre-acquisition.

--------------

Edited by Chozo4