Windows 95 Today

BenoitRen

I run 95 on an AMD 486-133. The OS is from an upgrade CD, & IE 4.0 came on a separate CD, so did not install it. 95 plug and play rescues old hardware, as the drivers match. Have software and business records back to 1982 on 5.25 disks, and they seem to last better than 3.5's, so use this machine to access them. It works well in DOS and Windows, and runs just about any program that 98FE does. Don't use it on the internet - just pull downloaded files from other machines across the network if needed. It is fast and responsive, up to date for DST.

Cel633/98SE/512RAM/40G;80G/MX400/CD-RW/DVD/3.5;5.25

Cel366/98FE/256RAM/3G/intATI/CD/3.5

486DX133/95/20RAM/425M/S3/CD/3.5;5.25

I run 95 on an AMD 486-133

Just curious, is it an overclocked 120 or did they really make them 130MHz 486 ?

(I have a 100@120 laying somewhere and once came across a dead AMD DX4-120 cpu).

Answer to post #17 by Ponch:

Per AMD the Am5x86-133 is a 32-bit SL Enhanced CPU which runs on a 33MHz bus with 16KB internal cache w/write back and write through. Pin-out is same as the AMD Am486®DX4 Enhanced (SV8B family).

Part numbers are AMD-X5-133ADW (168-pin PGA package, 3.45 volt, 55C case temp.)

AMD-X5-133ADZ (168-pin PGA package, 3.45 volt, 85C case temp.)

CPU multiplies the input clock by 4. On the old Hurricane Discover benchmark, it comes in at 78% of a Pentium 100. AMD shows benchmarks for a Gigabyte GA486AM/256KB L2 cache (15nS), 16MB DRAM (70nS), Diamond Stealth 2 MB VRAM video card: Winstone '96 (Units) 44.4; WinBench '96 CPUMark16 145.0; WinBench '96 CPUMark32 151.0

Wikipedia says the chip was introduced in November 1995, and was used in consumer PC's until 1999. They say it is still in production for use in embedded controllers, and the core used in the Élan SC520 family of microcontrollers marketed by AMD is a derivative. It was also used on the Acorn RiscPC "PC card" second processors. The 5x86 was first-ever use of the PR rating. Because the 5x86 was the equal of a Pentium 75 MHz processor in benchmarks, AMD later marketed the chip as "AM5x86-P75". Wiki says a 150 MHz-rated part may have also been released by AMD, and the 133 part was commonly overclocked to 160 MHz.

• 2 months later...
I figured out long ago that ERPMan's page was yours, erpdude. :)

By the way, the link you posted leads to a page with no cache of the FAQ, and the Wayback Machine doesn't have it either. :(

thanks for the heads up, BenoitRen. I've changed the link to the Win95 OSR2 FAQ page.

Sean Erwin's OSR2 FAQ had very useful info about versions B and C of Win95

Win95B or Win95C was also useful on IBM Aptiva machines. anyone who owned an IBM Aptiva computer with pre-installed Win95 SR2.x is very lucky, especially when using the Rapid Resume power management feature which is similar to the hibernation feature found in most modern computers. Alice has a page about IBM Aptiva machines here.

BTW - The final release of K-Meleon 1.1 is out, along with Opera 9.21.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I guess I will be joining you guys today in this thread ;-) I just got in something very old and its owner want it restored back in full shine of Windows 95 Glory :) Gave me its original "restore cd" by Acer, but its Chinese Traditional version and obviously I can't read it LOL useless.

So here is what I did so far:

Partition for W95 is just 256 MB (yes MB, not GB) then there is half gig for NT4 and 1 gig for shared space where he wants to keep his old DOS games etc.

Due to limited space I figured it would be better to start customizing 95's installation to get rid of the old junk that come with it by default and he wouldn't use it anyways (IE3, Mail-News etc). That took it down to just 70MB after WIn95 completed installation.

Then I installed USB supplement from Companion CD (since there is dual USB port) and drivers for all the devices. Im at 75 MB footprint ATM. I know I need to update it with Y2K stuff (w95y2k, corpupd, y2kvdhcp - have them all ready), but Im not sure what else? He probably won't use it for internet access while on W95 (thats what NT4 will be there), but still I'd like to patch it up and secure, so any input and hints are kindly welcome :)

That's about it, really. No IE, no NetBIOS, and the latest patches. Perfect. :)

great :)

Im playing with it ATM, and Im not sure is it just my prejudice againt anything 98 ;) but 95 really feels more stable. I guess removing crap from installation was helpful.

Anyways I will reinstall it, because Im making completely customized Win95 CD for him (with crap removed from disc and from installation .inf and with the drivers and useful soft instead) and I will have to test it on something, so for the sake of testing Im going to inject it with IE5.5SP2 with shell update (I just made nice standalone single executable with options to install with or without "Active Desktop Update" - gotta test it too hehe).

Has anyone notice microsoft's site has nothin left for windows 95?

There are tons of bad links to references etc, you can't even find any old windows update for 95 crap as it used to be - but it is like this only in english, if you choose different language there is still some stuff left, ie euro support is not available on english version, but if you choose other lang. (i went with japanese link) its still there same as before.

/edit/

Im distracted, sorry ;)

What I was going to ask is

what firewall soft works on win95

how to modify boot image i made from 95's startup disk to work like Win2K's boot - with the prompt to press any key to run bootloader or time out in few seconds and goto/skip to hard disk?

Because using original 95 floppy image is pointless in making bootable Win95 CD since it will always load it automatically and end up on the "A:\ " prompt...

/edit again/

I want to include USB directly in installation too :)

I noticed that Win95 searches for uhcd.sys and usbd.sys in precopy1.cab - if i add them to the cab (and update its byte size in installation infs of course etc) will that be a problem since it will be rather large for a 'floppy cab', also what reg entries do i need to add as well? and what about openhci.sys and possibly vfwwdm32.dll (which i noticed someone smart added to package for unofficial usb update)?

And about USB - I dont know why installing USB supplement from companin disc doesnt automatically install drivers for "PCI USB", I have to manually select it and navigate it to the usbd.sys and uhcd in windows folders for it to become the "Standard Universal USB Host..." in the device manager, otherwise it stays in the yelllow question mark as "PCI USB". Is it because I removed something too many from installation? Somehow I don't remember doing it manually in the past when I used "full" unmodified Win95 installations...

Edited by no1none

I thought that Win95 wasn't going to connect to the Internet? It will only open TCP ports when it needs to, so you don't really need a firewall, at least when it comes to closing ports. Anyway, I believe the good old Kerio 2.1.5 firewall will work on it.

I'm not familiar with the Win2K boot disc, so I'm not sure what you want to do. Some batch wizardry could solve part of it, I guess.

Slipstreaming the USB updates could work. I have no idea what registry entries the updates need, though. Remember that it also installs a different, USB-able kernel. And yeah, I remember something about a PCI USB yellow mark. Not sure what to say about that.

From nt4 today

I never was Win9x fan, even when I had to use it. I never seen worse OS than any of those 95/98/ME series. Reinstalls and crashes on a basically daily basis - I think it sums it up. Im surprised Msoft never shipped it with some ghost/imaging software (so people could quickly and easily 'restore' their win9x harddisk with last saved working config, instead of going thru all that lengthy installation process). IMHO Msoft's reputationsuffered alot after release of win9x (or maybe since win3.x actually).

Except for those old games that need DOS, I really can't see any reason why anyone would use win9x nowadays or in the past since 198/1999 - computers shipped back then already with 64 or memory, enough for NT4 already

Anyways.

What about those DX5 files?

Could anyone kindly check their files and let me know am I missing anything? (see my prev. post)

or give me some hint?

This is what I get when open directx control panel:

mmmmmmmm makes you wonder

I thought that Win95 wasn't going to connect to the Internet? It will only open TCP ports when it needs to, so you don't really need a firewall, at least when it comes to closing ports. Anyway, I believe the good old Kerio 2.1.5 firewall will work on it.

I'm not familiar with the Win2K boot disc, so I'm not sure what you want to do. Some batch wizardry could solve part of it, I guess.

Slipstreaming the USB updates could work. I have no idea what registry entries the updates need, though. Remember that it also installs a different, USB-able kernel. And yeah, I remember something about a PCI USB yellow mark. Not sure what to say about that.

Whenever I do something, I at least try to be thorough.

Win95 supposedly will not be used to connect to web, thats what NT4 will be there for. But I want to play safe now, rather than hear a complaints later. AFAIR as soon as any ethernet card will be installed there, Win95 will automatically enable netbios over tcpip, right? (correct me if im wrong). Of course I can predict any possible scenario what someone may do with his computer, but in general I always prefer to include firewall on any windows machine. Anyways, IMHO firewall and antivirus are 2 most important things on anything windows...

PS

oscardog above quoted my opinion.

What are you /edit: you=oscardog/ trying to accomplish? Want to start (yet another) stupid 9x vs NT flame here? Good luck, fanboi...

Edited by no1none

AFAIR as soon as any ethernet card will be installed there, Win95 will automatically enable netbios over tcpip, right?

AFAIR W95 will not even install TCP/IP automatically, only NetBEUI. You'll have to add it yourself.

AFAIR as soon as any ethernet card will be installed there, Win95 will automatically enable netbios over tcpip, right?

Yes, that's true, sadly. It will also add Netware. When you add the network card at installation, you can immediately remove all that from Network Setup, but if a network card is detected at Windows boot, you don't have control. If you don't insert the CD, though, it won't get fully installed, hehe.