Windows 95 Today

BenoitRen

What are you /edit: you=oscardog/ trying to accomplish? Want to start (yet another) stupid 9x vs NT flame here? Good luck, fanboi...

No not at all, I was musing after reading the thread if you were being humerous via satirical deviousness, but has you have seen win9x still has its uses, despite preconceived negativitey.

In my option both os`s have their uses, end of story

What are you /edit: you=oscardog/ trying to accomplish? Want to start (yet another) stupid 9x vs NT flame here? Good luck, fanboi...

No not at all, I was musing after reading the thread if you were being humerous via satirical deviousness, but has you have seen win9x still has its uses, despite preconceived negativitey.

In my option both os`s have their uses, end of story

Well, you read and quoted only part of discussions.

My personal opinion (and preference) is still the same:

If I can avoid windows at all (i.e. user is at least "linux literate") - I think its obvious what I'd install? ;)

If I *have to* install windoze (user can't operate any other OS) - I try to fit full or customized to the machine W2K.

If machine is too outdated to run W2K - I'll try NT4 if possible; and unless it really has some <48MB of RAM, or user have some other requirements not possible on NT4 - I will go with Win9x.

Its not that "I like" or "I don't like" any of them.

For example 1 person use computer just for chatting & mail with her friends, but also some sensitive things like banking or browsing, so obviously I had to go with linux on her machine (and for a fact - since she never had any prior "windows experience" - she learned how to use it much faster than some hundred-years-long windoze user... )

OS is a tool, it must fit the user's skills of using it, and the job it is needed for.

Obviously I'm not going to install any linux or vista on this very old machine for playing old DOS/Win9x games.

Of course WIndows 95 has its uses.

If I were 100% sure this machine would never ever connect to internet, I would say same as Benoit-Ren: "perfect" and wouldn't ask any more stupid questions here ;)

AFAIR as soon as any ethernet card will be installed there, Win95 will automatically enable netbios over tcpip, right?

Yes, that's true, sadly. It will also add Netware. When you add the network card at installation, you can immediately remove all that from Network Setup, but if a network card is detected at Windows boot, you don't have control. If you don't insert the CD, though, it won't get fully installed, hehe.

Yes I just did it yesterday.

True, TCP is not installed by default as poster above said, but Netware is (not big problem since it is easily disabled in remove in networking).

However after adding TCPIP i found "enable netbios over tcpip protocol" checkmarked (enabled) and greyed out in the same time (supposedly can't disable) - is that normal?

Edited by no1none

And about USB - I dont know why installing USB supplement from companin disc doesnt automatically install drivers for "PCI USB", I have to manually select it and navigate it to the usbd.sys and uhcd in windows folders for it to become the "Standard Universal USB Host..."

I installed USB yesterday evening on my system (finally got a new adaptor for the scanner and finally found the right drivers), and I got a prompt in the process for usbd.sys, but after that everything went smoothly. It's normal, anyway, that even though you just pointed to a folder with your drivers, that when it wants to install them, that it doesn't find them, as it always first looks in the path of your Win95 setup files.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm .....

May be old news to some but ....

I'd like to confirm that win95 osr2.1 drivers for usb disks are indeed available and working (at least for me). First tested much more than a year ago and last tested a month ago with a new 1GB generic usb disk .....

Please refer to :

http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html

Anyone who's using the driver may have to manually add the PnP IDs ....

Rgds

Hmmm .....

May be old news to some but ....

I'd like to confirm that win95 osr2.1 drivers for usb disks are indeed available and working (at least for me). First tested much more than a year ago and last tested a month ago with a new 1GB generic usb disk .....

Please refer to :

http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html

Anyone who's using the driver may have to manually add the PnP IDs ....

Rgds

Indeed it does work with the Kingston USBstick 1GB flash drive, I have. On the other hand it does not work with USB external 2.5" IDE case based on Myson Century chip.

Both devices are using different communication systems, I think. I was able to connect the USB HDD using DOS driver, while the Kingston flash drive was not working with the same driver.

Hi everyone. I just joined, and felt that I might as well chime in: I use Windows 95 OSR 2.1 regularly on my Pentium III-based PC to this day.

I've gotten somewhat used to being teased and criticized for using (let alone preferring) 95.

By this point I feel that my doing so is more out of silent protest against the web integration, product activation, DRM, and inefficiency of newer versions than any other reason, but its user interface is quick and intuitive; it doesn't take up many resources, and I can do all the tasks I want to do: Word processing and spreadsheet work; browsing the web (with Firefox 1.5); multimedia, and games.

I really don't feel any desire to "upgrade" yet, at least out of choice.

Interesting. I did not know Firefox can work with windows 95. It's official requirements is Windows 98, as far as I know.

On the other hand, Opera is working in Windows 95, for sure.

Interesting. I did not know Firefox can work with windows 95. It's official requirements is Windows 98, as far as I know.

The official "requirements" are nothing more than recommendations: Mozilla Firefox 1.5 and below run great on Windows 95, assuming you have the DCOM95 update and of course a powerful-enough computer. :) There's a weird Unicode bug that makes Firefox 2 crash, though.

Firefox's close cousin SeaMonkey makes no qualms about supporting Windows 95, although I personally prefer having the e-mail and browser separate.

I always go with K-Meleon on Win95 boxes.

Perhaps you should give it a try.

I quit installing or even suggesting Firefox since ~1.x versions, IMHo it became too much of bloatware and resource hog. Not to mention the bloated pig 2.0 lol