Restarts

nitroshift

Hi guys!

I'm having an odd problem with one of my PC's. It sometimes restarts by itself, especially when playing music in Winamp and using its video interface to render visualisations. I have made a complete memroy dump but it's too large to post here (511 Mb). However, when it comes to the BSOD, it says MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. Is it caused by faulty RAM? I ran memtest on both modules of RAM (it has 2x256Mb RAM in single channel @ 400 MHz) and no errors were found. Please anyone help. Thanks.

nitro

PS. The config is as follows:

mobo: Asus P4P800 deluxe

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, FSB 800 MHz, 1Mb L2 cache

RAM: 2x256 Mb @ 400 MHz

HDD: Maxtor 80 Gb / 7200 rpm

AGP: nVIDIA FX 5500

What's wrong with MemTest? :blink: Used it countless times on PCs at a tech shop, pioneer program. :D

Well, I wouldn't wonder if he changes memory modules after all this memtesting and PC starts to work normally..

It's perhaps a problem with audio drivers.

It can easily find out if it's processor overheating problem simply by looking at the temp right after the crash and in normal operations.

To be sure it isn't ram related, he should just need to fill all the ram with programs and check if they crash.

Thanks for your replies guys but: CPU ain't overheating, audio drivers worked perfectly (i.e. no restarts) until a little while ago and the bit that confuses me is that the BSOD says the problem lies with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT! The problem appeared suddenly, no programs or hardware added before problem started. Anyway, I'll get a 512Mb of RAM and shove it in to see if the problem persists.

Regards,

nitro

• 2 weeks later...
I don't trust that memtest tools. Try with another RAM, also it may be processor overheating, so check that also..

Haven't I suggested this :lol:

I don't trust that memtest tools.

What's wrong with MemTest? :blink: Used it countless times on PCs at a tech shop, pioneer program. :D

See what's wrong with it. The RAM was faulty even that he tested it..

Well, I wouldn't wonder if he changes memory modules after all this memtesting and PC starts to work normally..

Yup, again was right.. B)

It WAS the bl00dy RAM! Changed one module and everything works fine now.

Thx for listening me :lol:

I ran memtest on both modules of RAM (it has 2x256Mb RAM in single channel @ 400 MHz) and no errors were found.

@N1K, it makes a difference between testing each stick individually and together.

Edited by Jeremy

@Jeremy, I tested the RAM modules both individually and together with same result: PASS. And I left it running for about 6-7 passes. :blink:

Seems like good enough reason NOT to believe Memtest app.. :whistle:

@Jeremy, I tested the RAM modules both individually and together with same result: PASS. And I left it running for about 6-7 passes. :blink:

Seems like good enough reason NOT to believe Memtest app.. :whistle:

Likely a motherboard issue then. Because I don't have this issue, even when OC'ing my RAM.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

@N1K, it makes a difference between testing each stick individually and together.

No, leave it overnight...

...and the P4P800 seem to be quite reliable, and according to many other sources, good for overclocking.

Edited by LLXX