MSI's and exe's

rickybez

Hi guys,

I am very new to HFslip but have got it to work with Windows 2003 standard and enterprise including Sp1 + Hotfixes.

Just a couple of things, I put the MSIcabextract files into the HFTOOLS folder and the GPMC.msi into the HF folder, but no GPMC after installation.

Also, I added the windows 2003 resource kit and support tools executables into the HFSVCRACK_SW Folder. They run at the installation stage although they don’t run silently. I have read that It can be done and checked the exe's can run with the /q switch. Not quite sure after that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

hi rickybez! welcome to HFSLIP! :) if i am not mistaken, only the regular MSIs are supported

- support for regular (non-silent) MSI files in HFSVCPACK_SW to be installed silently
... oh & just a minor correction it is HFSVCPACK ... not HFSVCRACK ... ;) it may be just a typo ...

Hi rickybez. Welcome :)

1) MSICabExtract is not used by HFSLIP (and hasn't been for months).

2) Extra MSI files are not supported by the latest "final" version. However, as Kiki pointed out, the test release for the upcoming final has support for MSI files if you put them in the HFSVCPACK_SW folder; they will be installed silently at T-13 with the /qn /norestart switches.

3) For exe's in the HFSVCPACK_SW folder the /Q:A /R:N switch is used.

Wow! Missed this one! So I don't need MSICabExtract in HFTOOLS folder? OK!

Do I need MODIFYPE.EXE in HFTOOLS if I have it in SYSTEM32 on my computer?

The same about CDIMAGE.EXE?

Edited by Oleg_II

2) Extra MSI files are not supported by the latest "final" version. However, as Kiki pointed out, the test release for the upcoming final has support for MSI files if you put them in the HFSVCPACK_SW folder; they will be installed silently at T-13 with the /qn /norestart switches.

3) For exe's in the HFSVCPACK_SW folder the /Q:A /R:N switch is used.

D@*#$&!!!! :realmad:

And all I wanted to test for was the latest hotfixes :P Now you are putting me into "WORK" mode

Edited by NtegrA

Thanks for your help,

The beta version worked great with the MSI files.

Still can't get the exe's to install silently though which is not really a problem because it allows a chioce of installation directory. :) Can the switches be modified ?

Cheers

Richard

Page 3 of HFSLIP instruction (in CMD file) still refers to MSICabExtract as needed in HFTOOLS...

maybe it could be updated so as not to confused new users... just a suggestion though.. :)

Sorry a bit of topic but i have made the same noob mistake and was using the MSICabExtract, i have problems with my install and msi files after windows loads, it wont open msi files and i have to manually extract them, i was just wondering if this was the problem with my msi files, is it because i am using MSICabExtract in my build.

hi loggan26! having MSICabExtract in HFTOOLS directory should not harm your install ... its presence will be neglected by HFSLIP

Thanks not the answer i was hoping for lol but thanks for taking it out of the equation.

Logan