Windows Vista RC2

kartel

the rc2 has more bugs for me than rc1..

the biggest one is that it cannot restart! it hangs at a black screen and doesnt continue :(

then ie ie7 favorites! if i open ie7 and the browse to the favorites folder and delete it and re-opebn ie again it still shows the folders! close and open ie again and see its empty ^^ but the same with importing the favorites! only atfer ie restart it takes effect :(

I've so far been able to just do a straight upgrade from Beta 2 to RC1 Build5600 to RC1 Build 5728 to RC2 Build 5744

All of which were successful, when the final release hits though I'm going to do a clean install. Also, after the upgrade from Build 5600 to 5728 I noticed that my games have not all been playing properly, with some minor glitching occuring here and there, tough to describe, but a noticeable decrease in performance due to this glitching. As of build 5744 I've gotten some graphical glitching issues which had been fixed in the release of 5600, however it was fixed by upgrading my ATi drivers, which I suspect will be the same solution here.

Most of my current issues are all driver related, as it will be for many people.

I want my 5.1 surround sound :(

:) let me guess.. creative user right? :) they still don't have their act together for sound drivers and i hope they get it together soon, i miss using my sound card the way it shoudl be..

Yeah, Creative.... I figure since they released their Beta 2 drivers around the time RC1 came out that their RC1 drivers should be out in February...

Yeah, noticed that on RC2 when it was installed, although the desktop does say RC2. I'm actually not sure why that is, although originally RC1 was going to be the last release before RTM, so perhaps the guys and gals who build 5744 missed the RTM in the build number before this build was RC2'ed - I don't know for sure. It's funny though :).

About Windows can be found in system properties.

Right Click my computer icon, Properties. Then in the Help menu go to About Windows :)

Mine of course says RTM too! B)

The way I find the about windows dialog box in any version of windows is:

start > run > type winver.exe

:thumbup

My understanding was that RC1 was to be the last test release before RTM. This is still true, Microsoft reserves build numbers for different milestones, the 5600 series of build numbers were for RC1, the 5700 series build numbers were supposed to be reserved for RTM releases.

Someone should load up 5724 and see if it also says RTM, if it does then they're RC2 release is most likely an RTM release...

RC2 is by far less stable for me, too... what's up, Microsoft? This should be near RTM "quality"!

From what I know, by the way, RTM will be bumbed up to 6000 so it looks better. And the version texts on all these are kinda funny, e.g. 5782 was listed as 'RC1' in the text in the bottom-right area of the desktop, and the EULA still says RC1, yet this says RTM.

Edited by WBHoenig