Windows Vista RC2

kartel

so am i the only that this build has worked flawlessly for?

No, it works flawlessly here, too! RC2 is the first build, in which my ATI Radeon 1900XT shows me 32 bit @ the beginning of the setup, in RC1 I had 16 colours there. My creative X-Fi Fatal1ty works now, too using the RC1 drivers Creative just released. (Integrated them onto my Distrib-Disc). :thumbup

then why was the option greyed off for me when i went to go install rc2?

Most probably because you didn't have enough free spsace that is required for an upgrade..

Also, if you boot from the DVD you get a greyed out upgrade option, upgrade is only possible when running installer in the OS.

As far as my Vista RC2 experience, no real issues other then problems with beta software or drivers. The main issue I notice is that at time Vista takes a long time to log into if you jump between direct domain login or cached login. Either that or the fact that at work I log in to a LAN connection and at home I am wireless, it takes a while for Vista to locate which network connection to choose. At this point I can't even try to connect manually as the system is unresponsive until it decides the connection itself. Cisco VPN Client Beta works great and Symantec Antivirus Corp Beta also works well enough but has it's hiccups. There is some conflict between SAV and Vista as there are times my virus definitions roll back to older dates. I haven't been able to figure out why but I'm guessing Windows Defender may have something to do with it.

Edited by Rob_R

Vista RC1 and 2 work great.

I am having issue's with older hardware and the issu is only when I try "other" versions of the same driver.

As for the sidebar, it's gondi,same with a whole lot of crap you all should be looking at....

vistascreen055kj4.gif

vistascreen094oi6.gif

Edited by kartel

Has anyone...

In RC2, when I connect to a share on my WinXP Pro system and attempt to copy a file, I receive "you do not have permission to modify this file." In previous builds I never had this bug. The xp share has remained the same since RC1 and 5728 and works fine for all other systems (2k3, xp, etc). Permissions are set properly. NOTE: this does not occur on win2k3 shares.

I can open the file, save as, extract it, and so on...just not copy it over.

As for the stability of this build...well, I'm running it on a dual boot HP nc6400. Since HP has not released Vista drivers, I still have to install a few via compatibility mode. The audio (one of those drivers) is much more stable now. When my system goes into hibernation, the audio driver stays. Before, it would corrupt itself and I would have to reinstall that driver.

No noticible speed improvement. This build is taking GPO's more efficiently than previous builds. I had a few issues with GPO's designed for NT and XP machines that were not working well in Vista.

Well, just about ready to go take the 70-299 exam. I'll check back l8r.

Edited by IT Rider

Has anyone...

In RC2, when I connect to a share on my WinXP Pro system and attempt to copy a file, I receive "you do not have permission to modify this file." In previous builds I never had this bug. The xp share has remained the same since RC1 and 5728 and works fine for all other systems (2k3, xp, etc). Permissions are set properly. NOTE: this does not occur on win2k3 shares.

Yes. I tried to copy Windows XP SP2 from Vista down to our file server in Iowa and explorer.exe would just lock up. Could copy SP2 down via Windows XP just file. Also, there is some weird stuff going on with Internet Explorer. On my machine and my co-workers, IE defaults its downloads to a directory I do not have access to. If I ask for access, it says "OK, I'll give you access" and then comes back with access denied. This is to my own documents folder! If I pick C:\temp, it works. I'm an administrator too.

Weird stuff.

Adam

Well, all was looking good until just a little while ago something strange happened. As I am using my Vista RC2 as my daily OS on my work notebook, I jump from being logged in to the domain at work and working on the cached account when I'm at home. Jumping between the two has gone reasonably well except for network delays at times as Vista tries to figure out if I'm at work on the LAN or Wireless at home. I turned on my computer just a while ago and rather then logging into my account I received a "Preparing Desktop" message on the login screen. After the HD was very active it finally logged me to the desktop where there were error messages on the screen about not being able to locate the profile, graphically everything looked like XP (Start menu colors, no transparencies etc). I just sat looking at it for a few seconds then shutdown the computer and booted up again, everything was fine after that. Very strange.

Everything is still running fairly well, networking in general in a domain environment is still rather slow and still get those long delays on login for Vista to find the network. Another plus though is that the sluggishness has totally gone since I installed the latest RC2 Nvidia drivers with the modified inf file from laptopvideo2go.com, now everything is super smooth and quick!! The other day I had to boot into XP to burn a CD and boy how bland it is after running Vista for a few weeks now. Vista is a much better user experience in my books. Can't wait for the final release in November for enterprise users!

As far as my Vista RC2 experience, no real issues other then problems with beta software or drivers. The main issue I notice is that at time Vista takes a long time to log into if you jump between direct domain login or cached login. Either that or the fact that at work I log in to a LAN connection and at home I am wireless, it takes a while for Vista to locate which network connection to choose. At this point I can't even try to connect manually as the system is unresponsive until it decides the connection itself. Cisco VPN Client Beta works great and Symantec Antivirus Corp Beta also works well enough but has it's hiccups. There is some conflict between SAV and Vista as there are times my virus definitions roll back to older dates. I haven't been able to figure out why but I'm guessing Windows Defender may have something to do with it.

Hi Rob,

I'm trying to get the Cisco VPN Client on a Vista RC2 machine to run. Where did you get the vpn client beta? is it the 4.8.01.0590 Version? I've read somewhere, that this version should work.

Thanks

Michael