basic 24 bit card for win98SE

rjisinspired

I was browsing through Walmart and I saw a Creative 24 bit card for around $30.00. The specs on it is the same as the one I currently have with the exception being that mine is 16 bit. This 24 bit card is basic and doesn't have any real fancy features to it. When looking on the sound card's box I noticed that OS compatibility is for win2000/XP but no mention of win98.

What would make a 24 bit card not compatible with win98? Is this a hardware issue, an api issue, or will the card really work in a win98 system?

The only difference is the 16/24 bit part. This is a relatively basic sound card and I guess I am trying to understand why it wouldn't be compatible with win98.

I did notify the Creative company but they directed me at cards that are far too pricey and have features I don't need. I don't need surround sound, I don't need enhanced processing or filter capabilities. The company never answered my real question.

If anyone would know if this basic 24 bit sound card would work with win98 that would be great. My system specs are as follows:

Compaq presario 5822

Intel celeron P2 - 500mghrtz processor

Quantum fireball CX 13.5 harddrive

Windows 98SE build 4.10.2222

Creative soundblaster 16 bit pci card / ess-pc-solo1 sound drivers

1810 intel chipset

256 megs sdram - pc100

Thank for your time.

RJ

@ rjisinspired,

Most cards require 850MHz so your 500MHz on 5.1 will not pull it, just on stereo mode. Then there is the next thing: drivers for 98(SE)... forget about it I would say...

Try to get a SB Live! soundcard and use 3th party drivers for it... Switch to XP and use your CPU 32bit would be a nice step although, I would see the nLite pages on this forum first ;).

:) I,d buy and find out u can probably return it anyway .most manufacturer are going with the compatable for xp logo and not mention 98/me at all so theres a good chance it might work in 98se you find games cd still try to list the os it runs on more than hardware.

This particular sound card doesn't have 5.1 surround or other x.1 variants. It is just about the same card as what I have except for the bit part, 24. It's a no frills card and has just the basics of functionaility which is why I sort of question 98 not being listed.

My reason for going to 24 bit was because, well mine is a dinosaur, plus I would move up to a higher resolution. My card seems to work alright as it is. I stick with 16 bit and ignore 8 bit modes. 8 bit modes on my system are poor and fuzzy in quality and sound degrades after multiple resaves, always has been like this since I had this machine. Although I have been able to playback 8 bit audio from other people, I can't record from 8 bit on my own and have it sound halfway decent.

I'm also thinking I may not need a 24 bit card in the long run. Will a 24 bit card provide less distortion and better quality than a 16 for regular voice and non-music recording? To my ears music sounds alright when enocded accordingly so maybe 16 would be enough for my situation?

I'm a diehard 98 fan I'm afraid. lol, I know, get with the times, but if it does what I want than I'm pretty happy. I don't require much. I'm secure as well and know 98 like the back of my hand and it works great for me.