cable signal keeps dropping

@ALL: Actually this discussion about routers and their performance is off-topic and won't help the topic starter in any way.

Well, consider it more like "stretching" the topic since the problems he has could be related to his router. :P

@crahak: My router has been under quite heavy load with general web surfing or multiplayer gaming, many P2P progs, torrents and other down-/uploads all at the same time. No VoIP/IRC/VPN though, but still quite a lot...

@jcarle: Yeah, it's stretching the topic a bit. Sure his problem might be router related, but that can be easily tested by unplugging it and connecting directly to the cable modem.

Edit: Removed "quite" in the above response to jcarle. You're right TAiN I was using the wrong word, it's slightly (and not "quite a bit") OT.

Edited by DL.

@DL: Slightly OT, but valuable discourse nonetheless. Not like we ran away with the thread and started telling dirty jokes.

I've had similar luck as jcarle: wrt*+thibor is good stuff. But I've had other, less awesome consumer routers go to their knees quickly as crahak noted. But I don't run the same traffic as either of them.

So....you know any dirty jokes? :lol: j/k

Has anyone considered that this could be a simple autonegotiation problem between the PC and router/switch port? Forcing the NIC to 100Mb/Full duplex (or whatever the router is supposed to use) resolves a lot of issues like these. When the NIC autonegotiates (approximately once every few seconds to few minutes, btw, depending on the driver), all traffic will cease on the connection until finished. If you know your network's rated speed/duplex (and your NIC and router support said speed/duplex), there's no reason to leave autonegotiation enabled at all - force it.

I'm quite sure his modem or the modem power supply is at fault.

The power connectors tend to be loose. As a result the modem resets itself with only slight vibration.

That's extremely unlikely. As ppl said before, no cable modem out there resets / reinitializes / is back online within 2 seconds or even anything near that. My surfboard SB5101 takes more like a whole minute.

My bet is still on the router.

I'm quite sure his modem or the modem power supply is at fault.

The power connectors tend to be loose. As a result the modem resets itself with only slight vibration.

That's extremely unlikely. As ppl said before, no cable modem out there resets / reinitializes / is back online within 2 seconds or even anything near that. My surfboard SB5101 takes more like a whole minute.

My bet is still on the router.

More so, no router reboots in that time-frame either. Just the DHCP renewal takes more then that.

• 3 weeks later...
this has been really annoying lately. i have cable internet, im plugged in through a router connected to the modem thru and ethernet cord. and prolly for 2 sec every minute or so my signal will just completely drop and web pages wont load and downloads will pause, then 2sec later it will be fine again...

A majorly similar problem with a person's PC that I saw, which is connected to Comcast, AFAIK:

Every some minutes, Windows XP keeps on displaying the "A network cable is unplugged." balloon!

Connection interruption is confirmed by using the Ping command. When that occurs, ping packets were lost.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Edited by RJARRRPCGP