AntiVir Personal Premium + Win Firewall OK?

Hi,

I just registered for this forum.

And want to know, if Antivir premium + Windows integr. firewall is enough for protection. Because I had Outpost firewall Pro, but that software slowed down my PC and I supposed that both Outpost and antivir scanned my files twice. 1 time is enough, isn't it?

So what do You think about the windows firewall?

If you're behind a router the Windows Firewall may be sufficient. I use Outpost Pro and it works great, no slowdowns at all. You may want to do a clean install of it.

v4 of Outpost even recommends your completely remove your previous versions and then install. I'd even stop un-needed plugins (such as for me, Active Content, Ads, Anti-Spyware, Attachment Quarantine) to see if that helps.

Outpost Pro had an issue with wl_hook causing explorer Windows to lag upon opening. That was during RC3 however. :)

As far as anti-virus, I've found that avast has been more than enough for any user. It works well and is very lightweight.

I've been through all that mess way too many times... I've tried all the firewalls and AVS's... None of them really worked against all the internet-crap that's out there...

A couple months ago I was plagued by some bullyAH shutting down Norton AVS and BlackIce FW, and making nasty irreparable messes in my PC.. so I snapped the Norton CD in-two, and dumped those two useless softwares...

I stumbled upon FP-Win AVS, and NetVeda Firewall.. and haven't had any bugs in this PC since I installed the two...

If something is slowing your PC after installing, it's likely that it installed a bunch of trojans... Run Regedit for the name of that software, and the name of the company...

Always run a search & destroy, Find and Regedit, for those two items after dumping a software...

Go into the prefs of every one of your softwares, and stop all the auto-updaters... It's a lot safer to do your updating manually... I update SeaMonkey browser by setting the PC to download the newest version, when I'm about to leave the computer for a time... When I return, I uninstall it, and install the fresh one... takes just a few minutes...

If you are experiencing glitches with your after market browser.. Download a fresh copy.. then save all your favorites and bookmarks, and everythings, in word files.. then uninstall the browser, and run a search and destroy for that software, to clean out old configurations.. then install the fresh download...

Go into Scheduler, and kill everything in there...

Run FP-Win demo... Be sure you ran through all the settings first...

Run CMDiskCleaner and EasyCleaner... Get 'em at MajorGeeks.. They try to guarantee clean downloads, by banning softwares that contain malwares... MajorGeeks are the goodguys... There's a lot of good stuff in their downloads lists... You could be there for hours... Put a pillow on your chair to prevent the dreaded "computer-bum" syndrome...

First off, download: SubDesktop, WinWall, Irfanview, Tiny Personal Firewall (to be an indoor watchdog. block itself too), Check out R-Undelete (only if you have a partitioned C & D drive. Install it in D)...

Do a search and destroy in Find and Regedit, for: macromedia, backweb, showbehind, shockwave, and desktopmessenger... then defrag with PowerDefrag (Run all options first time)...

Now how fast and sweet is your "born-again" PC running..?

Get SeaMonkey.. and check-out the Tools tab, and the Window tab, and the little blue double-handled "toilet plunger" icon, in the lower right of the screen...

Edited by KingAuther

That's a load of unnecessary mess (such as running more than one firewall), KingArthur.

The NetVeda firewall has a lot of issues, and isn't as stable or reliable as Comodo Free Firewall.

AVG free edition and Windows Firewall should be enough.

don't be fooled with those firewalls out there that claim to be better than windows, they aren't.

windows firewall only appears when you want it to, and doesn't have useless crap you don't need with it.

"running more than one firewall"

Yeah.. I've heard a load of stuff about running only one firewall, which comes from other firewall writers mostly.. and most firewalls can't deal with any company.. but Tiny Personal Firewall doesn't bother any of the other firewalls... It just sits in the back doing its thing... I install TPF from floppy, immediately after installing a new OS.. and I set it to block everything, even itself... This way nothing can contact the Net unless I give it permission... It saves a lot of grief... After I install a new software, I go to TPF's advanced, and block it from connecting to the Net...

When I uninstall an unwanted software I immediately run Find and Regedit, to destroy everything left behind from that software...

NetVeda may have issues for some, but not in my PC...

My previous post would have your PC running at peak...

Most of the troubles in old operating systems, these days, is caused by macromedia, shockwave, and the auto updater features in aftermarket software wasting computer time forever scanning the system for changes... They are just bugs...

Solution is to cancel and/or destroy all those updating features, and do your updating yourself...

Surf "W98se shutdown problems"... That's mostly caused by macromedia softwares in old OS's... And most of the computers today are still running W98... Macromedia is just too powerful for the old systems... and macromedia is just a fancy advertising scheme, for animated advertising barages in your face, with a few interesting come ons...

Thanks for the "Comodo" tip... I'll check it out...

Wouldn't let you browse the web? What setting did you break?

A clean install of Outpost 4 and anyone can browse the web. You probably blocked a needed program or altered some setting.

Why do people always assume it's me who breaks sometime? *slap!* :P

Nope, just installed it, rebooted, clicked OK to everything and tried to go to Google. Wouldn't work. *shrugs*

Anyway, in regards to the Windows Firewall, I wouldn't use it even if I was behind 5 hardware firewalls. Reason is because it's half a decade old, a lot of malware targets it, and I try to use as much 3rd party software as opposed to Windows-based functions as I can. :D

Edited by Jeremy

You may want to actually read what they say in there, as there is important information about connecting to the Internet and setting up your network.

What I'm saying is that a firewall program shouldn't immediately prevent the Admin from browsing the net, even after clicking "Yes, this is ok" for everything that pops up within Windows. The firewall should adapt to your needs, not interfere with them.

Well, what I'm telling you is that it doesn't do that Jeremy. I've set up Outpost on tons of systems, more than 100 times; and never a single issue with any person or their machine.

Try doing a completely clean install and be a bit more careful what you tell the firewall to do.

Well, what I'm telling you is that it doesn't do that Jeremy.

That's very interesting. I was browsing the web on my friend's laptop, could surf fine. Installed Outpost, clicked Yes, couldn't browse. Closed the GUI and stopped the Service, could browse again. So obviously you're not the expert here. I'm not saying I am, but I know what should be happening and what is happening.