Vista 5728

WBHoenig

yep, I understand what your saying. The reason that others may stay on top is because they don't play by the normal 'windows' programming rules for their apps. The normal rules require windows compatable apps to obey the intended convention regarding focus windows, while the MS coders do use this convention. Thats the reason the other sidebars your using will always 'remain on top'. Nothing wrong with them, the coding is just a little outside the norm.

hrm oh well if that's the case i dont think i'll be using their sidebar, i was hoping that would be the one thing it did better than the competition, but seeing it doesnt, everything else about the side bar is poo, may as well just continue using samurize or something... thing is, i understand what the other poster was saying about it's by design and that it is another window, but, kde doesnt do that with karumba, that program rules, it sticks perfectly to the desktop even when u press the show desktop button, i was hoping for something along those lines, all in all after playing with so many builds of vista, i am incredibly disapointed, and actually prefer XP... dont think i'll be giving microsoft quarter of my months wages just for that!

By the way, for Avast Anti-Virus you need to download the beta posted in the Avast forum. And when they finally release the new version you should not let it download and update it. You should manually download it and uninstall the beta before installing the final new version. Not talking about the virus definitions, but the program update.

The beta version works perfectly. The only annoyance with Avast is the VRDB recovery database building that takes a long, long time to build. I don't use a screensaver so I set it to build while the computer is idle. Which only means I've gotta wait until it's finished before doing anything.

I'm sure AVG will fix itself up as soon as they see what the problem is. They've been good about working out any kinks and working together with Microsoft on keeping it working.

Somehow, all that resident stuff in Avast makes me believe it's doing more than AVG. Maybe it's just a fancier way of doing the same thing though.

Heh, I had just installed the RC1 and had to download, burn, format, and install this new one. Might as well use the latest available.

I don't understand folks praising the startup speed. Not sure what it's doing, but apart from the initial showing of the desktop it still keeps starting up stuff for several minutes before finally being fully up and running. I guess I could get cracking but I prefer to wait until hard drive "shuts up" before I start doing anything.

And installing programs has a lot of wait time as well. To make sure it really is done I wait until the hard drive "shuts up." I suppose it's just finishing up restore points but it makes for long wait's. Don't like it.

Why does an XP restore point take about a second to make, yet Vista churns away for several minutes? Really a nuisance.

Would a super powered processor and 2 GB of memory eliminate all this waiting? Whatever, I'm not about to upgrade that stuff for a few years as most of my stuff is reletively new. I don't think an AthlonXP 3200+ and a gig of Ram should be slow!

Eck,

I tried the Avast beta in vista, didn't like it. I installed the trend PC-Cillin instead and its doing a fine job.

Some of the services are delayed start, that might be what your seeing with the "starting up stuff for several minutes " thing. You have anything in your startup? Mine only takes about 20 seconds from boot to desktop (allowing a few seconds for the password), then its ready to go. Mine doesn't seem to be still loading anything at the desktop.

My restore points take just a couple of seconds. Yours take more then just a few seconds?

By the way, for Avast Anti-Virus you need to download the beta posted in the Avast forum. And when they finally release the new version you should not let it download and update it. You should manually download it and uninstall the beta before installing the final new version. Not talking about the virus definitions, but the program update.

The beta version works perfectly. The only annoyance with Avast is the VRDB recovery database building that takes a long, long time to build. I don't use a screensaver so I set it to build while the computer is idle. Which only means I've gotta wait until it's finished before doing anything.

I'm sure AVG will fix itself up as soon as they see what the problem is. They've been good about working out any kinks and working together with Microsoft on keeping it working.

Somehow, all that resident stuff in Avast makes me believe it's doing more than AVG. Maybe it's just a fancier way of doing the same thing though.

Heh, I had just installed the RC1 and had to download, burn, format, and install this new one. Might as well use the latest available.

I don't understand folks praising the startup speed. Not sure what it's doing, but apart from the initial showing of the desktop it still keeps starting up stuff for several minutes before finally being fully up and running. I guess I could get cracking but I prefer to wait until hard drive "shuts up" before I start doing anything.

And installing programs has a lot of wait time as well. To make sure it really is done I wait until the hard drive "shuts up." I suppose it's just finishing up restore points but it makes for long wait's. Don't like it.

Why does an XP restore point take about a second to make, yet Vista churns away for several minutes? Really a nuisance.

Would a super powered processor and 2 GB of memory eliminate all this waiting? Whatever, I'm not about to upgrade that stuff for a few years as most of my stuff is reletively new. I don't think an AthlonXP 3200+ and a gig of Ram should be slow!

No, one build since RC1, but 128 higher build number. And the build number I believe is computer generated and doesn't per se mean a lot was fixed. In fact, this build is a minor update from 5600. Don't expect the sidebar to be fixed at all come RTM... especially since RTM is expected for next month. This is quite possibly the last pre-RTM build.

so if i am using RC1 5600 do you see any reason i should take the time to upgrade?

if RTM is expected for next month will my key i have been using work with it? if no then what is next?

thanks

I believe it will work until March-ish time next year :)

and no, it wont work on RTM ;):P

Regards

Nath

so will i be able to "purchase :whistle: " a key to activate a RTM version next month or will it only be available to a select group till "whenever"?

Thanks

There is only 1 RTM version - the actual release of Windows Vista.

Of course you have to pay for it!! Unless you get it bundled with a new PC that is.

You won't be able to download it from Microsoft (Well, not yet - maybe one day?). You go to your local computer shop, pick up a Windows Vista box and take it to the till. Once you hand it over to the assistant, they will swap the display box for the actual thing and at this point you hand over some money (Around £200). Then you now have a copy of Windows Vista RTM.

That is how you get Windows Vista RTM when it is released.

Its only going to be complete next month, not released. Coporate customers get it in November with everyone else getting it rearly 2007.

well i guess my question has been answered :)

i was hoping i wasnt stuck with RC1 until next year. mainly because i dont know how much longer i can keep entering info on my PDA and in outlook. i really need the sync with outlook option for my pda.