OEMScan - Automated Multi Manufacture Pre-Activation Utility

Simple buffer overrun, if it matched a character at the end of the bios it would read the next character (overrun) and crash. When I get home from work I’ll make this the new official version. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Official Version is up

Edited by xehqter

Anyone have a link to download the files that go in the HP folder? I've got the HPQ and Pavilion folders, just need the HP.

HP 00A1EECB ("Hewlett-Packard") is obsolete HPQ CD4E1902 ("Compaq", "Hewlett") replaced it. I removed it from latest version (1.3.2).

http://www.oembios.net has all the current files (obsolete files have a line threw them)

Another dumb question, perhaps.

Using this BIOS as an example:

9509CAD5 "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH", "SNC302EEH"

Why does this have 18 instances of the same text? Would that indicate a need to put 18 instances of the text in the .ini file? Or would just once suffice?

The OEMBIOS.DAT file contains a list of strings and memory addresses to check against in the BIOS. If any of them match then Windows knows it’s a legitimate royalty OEM motherboard. In your example there 18 different memory addresses that windows checks for the string “SNC302EEH”. You only need to list it once in your oemscan.ini file.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServe...3.mspx?mfr=true
In Windows Server 2003 SP1, user-mode access to the \Device\PhysicalMemory object is not permitted. All forms of access (read, write) are refused when the \Device\PhysicalMemory object is accessed from a user-mode application. Access to the \Device\PhysicalMemory object is refused regardless of the user context (Administrators, Users, Local System, etc.) the application is running in.

Kernel-mode (driver) access to the \Device\PhysicalMemory object is unchanged for Windows Server 2003 SP1.

There are no means to revert this changed behavior in Windows Server 2003 SP1.

Seems oemscan would have to run in kernel-mode for a Server 2003 fix.

@Protocol7

Thanks.

Now i understand it's not a specific hardware issue but a Windows OS feature causing this error.

Something weird i noticed today trying to use the "FUJITSU SIEMENS PRIMERGY (OEMBIOS CRC=D2D64C41)" on MS Virtual PC

FUJITSU SIEMENS PRIMERGY (OEMBIOS CRC=D2D64C41)

FUJITSU, SIEMENS, PRIMERGY, FUJITSU, SIEMENS, PRIMERGY

Whenever the VPC BIOS is edited to read "FUJITSU" it pre-activates fine, but if "SIEMENS" or "PRIMERGY" are used it still requires activation

I also tried to combine SIEMENS and PRIMERGY and also added the strings multiple times like the HP set that required two read instances of the string...

Looks like it only activates whenever "FUJITSU" is found and the other two values are bogus...anyone has ideas on this issue?

Edited by FreeStyler

It’s because the file is formatted incorrectly. Each subsequent entry in the file starts with BIOS rather then BIOS0, BIOS1, BIOS2, etc.

BIOS=f000,0000,ffff, FUJITSU

BIOS=f000,0000,ffff, SIEMENS

BIOS=f000,0000,ffff, PRIMERGY

It should be

BIOS=f000,0000,ffff, FUJITSU

BIOS0=f000,0000,ffff, SIEMENS

BIOS1=f000,0000,ffff, PRIMERGY

I wonder how these files are generated because of the number of inconsistencies between vendors. I also noticed line returns for the OEMBIOS section are CR-CR-LF instead of CR-LF while the HashTable section uses CR-LF.

ah, hehe overlooked that ;)

so the best possible way to list FUJITSU oembios files inside OEMSCAN.INI would be like in the example below, right?

[FUJITSU SIEMENS]
PATH=".\FUJITSU\10045CFA\"

[FSC SYSTEM]

[FSC SERVER]

[FUJITSU-PC]
PATH=".\FUJITSU\BACB9A77\"

[FUJITSU]
PATH=".\FUJITSU\D2D64C41\"

Should i care about the spaces (10045CFA & D2D64C41 sets) before the actual string?

Edited by FreeStyler

Looks good, if your trying to save space I’d remove BACB9A77 (FUJITSU-PC) since it’s covered by D2D64C41 (FUJITSU). Well, almost covered, 0xE0000 – 0xEFFFF isn’t scanned but its very likely FUJITSU would be in 0xF0000 – 0xFFFFF either in the DMI tables or as a BIOS string.

I’d also consider using 9CF90CA8 (FUJITSU-PC) over BACB9A77 (FUJITSU-PC) for no other reason then it’s available on oembios.net and not a private site. Both files are functionally identical.

You shouldn't be concerned with leading or trailing spaces.

Edited by xehqter

Looks good, if your trying to save space I’d remove BACB9A77 (FUJITSU-PC) since it’s covered by D2D64C41 (FUJITSU). Well, almost covered, 0xE0000 – 0xEFFFF isn’t scanned but its very likely FUJITSU would be in 0xF0000 – 0xFFFFF either in the DMI tables or as a BIOS string.

I’d also consider using 9CF90CA8 (FUJITSU-PC) over BACB9A77 (FUJITSU-PC) for no other reason then it’s available on oembios.net and not a private site. Both files are functionally identical.

You shouldn't be concerned with leading or trailing spaces.

D2D64C41 requires a leading space but BACB9A77 and 9CF90CA8 don't need them.

My repository origionally had 9CF90CA8 and when I got BACB9A77 and determined that they were functionally identical I decided to continue with the origional fileset.

D2D64C41 requires a leading space but BACB9A77 and 9CF90CA8 don't need them.

by modifying the VPC Bios I found leading spaces in OEMBIOS.DAT are ignored.

ie: ", FUJITSU" & ",FUJITSU" are treated the same.

Edited by xehqter

@Bezalel

NEC (OEMBIOS CRC=678752DC) seems to be missing on www.oembios.net

it has 1 new entry, eg:

'F000','0000','fff0','NECC1'

@All

xehqter is right, leading or trailing spaces are ignored on all sets

@xehqter

Have you been able to succesfully test the AMOI (OEMBIOS CRC=3A887CB8) set on Virtual PC or such?

'F000','E700','','AMOI Electronics CO.,Ltd'

Whats up with the empty 3e value in it's range?, is this fileset any good?

Edited by FreeStyler