Wireless Access Point

Linksys wireless G router

|Drew|

I've seen the Linksys Wireless-B Router kit which costs around $150 CAN. for the router and the PCMCIA card for the laptop...Can this be connected to my already existing Linksys BEFSR81 DSL/CABLE router, and what's the difference between B and G? I heard B is better because almost everyone uses it...

First off, yet the access point can be connected to the router. A access point does not rout your wan ip, its like a switch or a hub, to in order to use multiple wireless computeres, u bmust attach it to the router.

As for the differences between B and G. B is definatly not better..yes its used by more people, but thats only due to the fact that ts the older standard, and has been around for longer. G is backwards compatable, so you can use it in a B environment. But G is fater, it is claimed to be 5 times faster, but in most casues i have seen its not more then double. I reccomend the G cause its a small price increase and its worth it if you trasfer files amoung your house to have the increased bandwidth. Additionally it is becoming the new standard, so im assuming they will probly be able to increase its stability and throuput

|Drew|

From what I read onto linksys.com, the G router is IEEE 802.11g compliant, wich can connect at 54 mbps and is compatible with IEEE 802.11b appliances.

For info, IEEE 802.11b can connect at 1 mbps...

I think that model WRT54G from Linksys can suit your needs. It's a wireless access point, with 4 ethernet connectors (to connect to your existing cableDSL modem) but it's also a cable/DSL router in itself...

Yup that is true, dont even bother getting the B. The G can transfer at a higher transfer rate, and over a longer distance. But of course with any wireless networking equipment, the transfer rate drops over distance, so you'll have to be careful where u put it. Also ensure that you have none of that aluminium foil based insulation in ur walls/floors/ceiling cuz it will block all signals sent out from the wireless nics/access point

I wrote the model , so I think you could find it easily, but the model I referenced is the very same appliance as what you have, plus WiFi interfaces, but only for Ethernet ports (you have 8).

There would be a way to connect the wireless router to the wired router, but you'll have 2 different subnets in your house, 1 wired, and 1 wireless.

The 2 subnets configuration is a little harder to set up (but quite doable), but will allow you not to have the wireless part to be jammed with wired broadcast.

Nevertheless, I think that a single router configuration will be easier to set up, but you'll then have a useless 8 port router.

Lets say I put this in the basement of my house, will I be able to access it from the third second floor? Here's a diagram of what I mean:

Second Floor (Access the Wireless Access Point from here!)
Ground Floor (Access it here too!)
Basement (Wireless Access Point is located here!)

Will this work, because I don't have an ethernet plug on my ground floor...Only in basement and second floor...

Oh yea, lets say it doesn't have an uplink port, like this one here, do I just connect into any of the other ports?

Ok, so there are 3 floors in your house.

I suggest you to install the access point on the 2nd floor (the middle one) for best performance.

It should work quite well, since it is designed to work up to 100 meters away, so a dizen of meters through a floor is okay.

Also, you will have to connect the WAN port of the access point/router into the DSL/cable modem, so the modem has to be close to the router.

Your wirelessly connected computer may be anywhere in the house or around the house.

Security: There are some MAC address filters available on the access point. A MAC address is like the serial number of the network card. It is unique. Only allow your computers to connect to your network using those filters as you don't want a perfect stranger to connect to your network and use your Internet and bust your bandwidth.

Security part II: use encryption. It slows the network a bit, but you don't want the perfect stranger from point A to be able to see what you do on your network.

There are several tools to keep your privacy, use them.

Ok, so there are 3 floors in your house.

I suggest you to install the access point on the 2nd floor (the middle one) for best performance.

It should work quite well, since it is designed to work up to 100 meters away, so a dizen of meters through a floor is okay.

Also, you will have to connect the WAN port of the access point/router into the DSL/cable modem, so the modem has to be close to the router.

Your wirelessly connected computer may be anywhere in the house or around the house.

Security: There are some MAC address filters available on the access point. A MAC address is like the serial number of the network card. It is unique. Only allow your computers to connect to your network using those filters as you don't want a perfect stranger to connect to your network and use your Internet and bust your bandwidth.

Security part II: use encryption. It slows the network a bit, but you don't want the perfect stranger from point A to be able to see what you do on your network.

There are several tools to keep your privacy, use them.

OK, as I said in my last post, I said that the only place I have ethernet plugs in is in the basement, and the top floor...There's no way I could put it on the middle floor, unless I had a really long wire...My only choice would be to put it in my room, connect it to my other router on my second switch, connect my computer in my room to the 1st port of the wireless router, and surf the net...I'm starting to ask myself questions...Is it really worth it, and wouldn't the connection just be faster if I hooked up ethernet plugs all over the house?

Oh yea, I was also wondering if it was possible to plug in a bridge into a router and then one in my computer...Would that work as well?

Any combo would work.

You can do whatever you do.

As in my example, if I suggested to install the access point on the middle floor, it was for better results, but it might work from the basement or from the upper floor as well.

Wiring all your house would work as well, would cost a little less, no worry about encryption, but you'll have to pass kilometers of wire throughout the house.

But, since most domestic wireless access point all come with 4 ethernet ports and a dsl dialer, you're actual router will become next to useless if you only have 3 to 5 computers in the house.

Any combo would work.

You can do whatever you do.

As in my example, if I suggested to install the access point on the middle floor, it was for better results, but it might work from the basement or from the upper floor as well.

Wiring all your house would work as well, would cost a little less, no worry about encryption, but you'll have to pass kilometers of wire throughout the house.

But, since most domestic wireless access point all come with 4 ethernet ports and a dsl dialer, you're actual router will become next to useless if you only have 3 to 5 computers in the house.

My dad had this guy wire our house for this because because he owed my dad some money...But, he never finished the work and did a sloppy job with the cable wires (the wires come out of the socket things they're in...)...I hope he could wire the whole house, and maybe put an outlet near my "to be built soon" heated pool! :):rolleyes: