Raxco PerfectDisk v8.0.30!

Jeremy

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had any issues with this version? Tried it last night and every time PD finishes a defrag of my windows partition it says another defrag is recommended, even though the analysis shows no fragmented files. This happens time after time. Yet when I analyze my second non-system disk, which is something like 80% fragmented due to video work, it says the disk is healthy and no defrag is necessary! Think I'll stick to the windows tool and Sysinternals Contig for now.

, especially if it's 80% fragmented!

Actually it's about 64%. But who's counting. I've been doing some heavy video editing on an almost full disk so that's why it got so bad. Anyway I would do that, except PerfectDisk trashed my system partition - 67Mb lost fragments after XP said chkdsk must run. After I reinstall my system later, will use Contig to defrag the individual vobs ready for burning. At least that's never caused problems for me.

Well, you know, it's different for everyone I guess. I'd probably blame your harddrive and not PerfectDisk. People have said Diskeeper is satan. People have said PerfectDisk is satan. People say maxtors suck. People say Windows sucks when they have trojan viruses and worms running wild.

Whose really responsible is a mystery, I guess.

PerfectDisk has never caused any issues on any machine I've used it on. You most likely had those errors that chkdsk found before you defragged. This is why you scan your disk before you defrag. :P

It's just you...

That's as bad as me saying it was PD's fault without any proof. :)

Seriously, I could understand if this occured just on one disk. But PD gave the wrong recommendations for two different partitions on two different drives - one a seagate and one WD. One had zero file fragmentation but PD wanted to defrag it again and again. The other was in serious need of defragging, but PD reported it as not requiring it, even though the list of fragmented files was huge. Both drives had low level checks done with manufacturers utilities not long ago. And chkdsk was also ran before trying PD. Smartmontools has never reported probs with these disks. This 8.0.30 version is fairly new, so who knows. I did stop a defrag operation half way through, so maybe that was the cause of corruption? Really wish I had taken screenshots.