convert mp3 bitrate

albator

If you're looking to lower the bitrate for filesize capacity purposes, then you could easily use something like Audacity. but if you're trying to turn a 192 into a 320, you're wasting your time. You can't increase the quality of the source.

well, yes and no. quality can always be lost in re-recording.

it depends on the output source and the input source. if you re-record music on your computer, always use the speaker output, and the mic input. reason being, microphone does not require any pre-amplification. line-in does.

also, never use adapters if possible. find ways to make straight cables. the more adapters used, the less quality regained.

but also, in recording, you cannot change bitrate. you can only change bitrate in ripping.

well, yes and no. quality can always be lost in re-recording.

it depends on the output source and the input source. if you re-record music on your computer, always use the speaker output, and the mic input. reason being, microphone does not require any pre-amplification. line-in does.

also, never use adapters if possible. find ways to make straight cables. the more adapters used, the less quality regained.

but also, in recording, you cannot change bitrate. you can only change bitrate in ripping.

i dont think hes re-recording, he wants to transcode (lossy to lossy)

you can change bitrate, but you must re-encode. using razor lame, you can do this as it lets you use an input mp3 to goto an mp3 (IE: 320kbps down to 128kbps)

microphones are usually mono, not stereo. so trying to record with that sounds funny. i reccomend using the line-in and just setting the volume in the right area (playing with it will get you the right input volume.) iv converted many records to cd. (100 or so) so i know these things :P

Edited by Cygnus

:lol: but all computer microphones are stereo.

all computer inputs are stereo.

i use Adobe Audition, and i can honestly say mic input on all computers is stereo. also, microphones are grounded to decrease feedback buzzing, and they all have 3 pins. thats stereo :thumbup

Edited by bonestonne

i've got a packard bell microphone for a PC here, it is about 8 years old, its got a stero tip. also, i do record with this PC, which has stereo input/outputs right on the mobo.

also, mono and stereo recording depends on the cables as well.

but microphones are mono, but only lavaliers [clip on]. the actual mic piece only has two pieces, but its wired so that it carries through both channels, so that people with a stereo sound system hear it both ways, not just half.

this post is getting off topic if you ask me. i know i started this, but i was correcting something that you said.

anyway, look at this:

snd.jpg

i have a stereo cable with a 3.5mm jack to 2 RCA connections on it and i tried using this to record to my desktop through the line-in (the line-in was blown on my desktop so i tried MIC) the mic port was MONO.