Buying 2GB of RAM. 2x1GB or 4x512MB?

unknownsoldierX

2 by 1GB would be far better, if you put 4x512 in then it will only run at 2T command rate which will decrease performance. Also having 2 slots spare will be useful incase u want to upgrade to more in future.

If you are buying 2x1GB make sure u buy a dual channel kit and not just two seperate modules.

in my opinion NO difference in performance between 2x1GB or 4x512Mb,

unless the memories are not identical (as timings especially , not your case).

if you are upgrading now , your mainboard is not very young,

are you sure your mainboard can manage 1GB modules or total of 2 GB ?

I have an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, which has 4 DIMMs and supports 4GB total.

I am building a new system for a family member, so I will be giving them my 2x512 sticks so that I can get 2GB of matching RAM. I've been wanting 2GB for a while now, so now is my chance.

Ok. I've decided to go with 2x1GB.

Off topic, but have you guys seen any deals on decent RAM? Best I can find is Corsair Value at newegg.com. $99 for 1GB.

Edited by unknownsoldierX

I would suggest using one of the following sites:

I have used both of these for numerous projects over the last couple of years, and have been very pleased with their service and prices. My personal favorite is ZipZoomfly based on the fact that their prices are usually lower then other sites, and they have free shipping (2nd day air) for the majority of their products.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Edited by Scooter513

There are some mobos that support 2x and 4x interleave on memory modules. If you have one of those, go for the 4x modules instead of teh 2x.

In the case of a 4x interleave, the reduced T2 timings will be made up for by the multiple byte/word interleave r/w access times.

There are some mobos that support 2x and 4x interleave on memory modules. If you have one of those, go for the 4x modules instead of teh 2x.

In the case of a 4x interleave, the reduced T2 timings will be made up for by the multiple byte/word interleave r/w access times.

Doing some quick research, I've found "Intel runs all their chipsets on a fixed CMD rate of 1T, regardless of how much memory is installed." My board has an Intel chipset.

that cannot be right at all. where did you hear that from?

http://www.cooltechzone.com/Reviews/Memory..._20040725377/1/

Second to last paragraph on that page.

Whether it is true or not doesn't matter to me anymore. I decided, either way, the performance difference would be negligible. I went with this Kingston 2x1GB 2-3-2-6 kit

http://www.pagecomputers.com/store/Product...uct%5Fid=833635

2-2-2-5 is just way too expensive.

and way to go not reading the last paragraph

Rating a module as 1T is actually somewhat misleading advertising because all unbuffered modules are capable of a 1T CMD rate up to four banks per channel, beyond which chipset limitations become a factor.