Vista Pricing

CoffeeFiend

Prices in $ Canadian/ $ USD / $ Euro (using current rates)

Retail versions

Windows Vista Ultimate $499 CAD / $450 USD / 351 EUR

Windows Vista Business $379 CAD / $342 USD / 266 EUR

Windows Vista Home Premium $299 CAD / $270 USD / 210 EUR

Windows Vista Home Basic $259 CAD / $234 USD / 182 EUR

Upgrade versions

Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade $299 CAD / $270 USD / 210 EUR

Windows Vista Business Upgrade $249 CAD / $225 USD / 175 EUR

Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade $199 CAD / $180 USD / 140 EUR

Windows Vista Home Basic Upgrade $129 CAD / $117 USD / 90 EUR

Prices, and release data of Jan 30th 2007 is based on Amazon (it's now available for pre-ordering)

Thanks god the OEM prices will be cheaper, but even then it'll still be a fair amount of cash. I sure ain't paying 499$ for a desktop OS anytime soon (I'd buy a SBS 2003 Standard license WAY before that, which funnily is cheaper; or even the action pack perhaps). Chances are, lots of people just won't upgrade to Vista because of the price (most people will also need to upgrade their PC too), or will only get it if it's bundled with a new PC. I was looking forward to some of the new stuff in Vista, but not at those prices (home premium, 300$? Still too much). The OEM prices better be substantially lower. (And then again all the fun of complicated and bothersome online activation things - lovely! Especially motherboad-tied OEM licenses... And likely still all the WGA joy -- what an advantage!)

The other thing I'm starting to see more and more is people who decide to stick with older versions of OS'es (i.e. they'll stick with XP forever), or people moving on to linux (partially or completely). Actually, I just might finally buy an extra PC as a permanent Linux box in the next few days... Sick of paying an arm and a leg for windows.

personally i think those prices are terrible, thank god for p2p :thumbup

ya... you might not want to say that.

but i also think these prices are pretty bad. btw, what is an upgrade vers? does that mean i cant install it as i normally would by booting the cd? MS should allow us to order thru them and give them our cdkey and they can discount us and give is a retail cd. upgrade is just pointless, and i dont want to dish out 500$ for vista, 300$ i guess is more reasonable.

And people still forget how expensive XP was and still is. XP Pro retails for about $400 CAD (not the OEM version), but the prices that are listed above aren't that far off from what XP was when it was first released.

personally i think those prices are terrible, thank god for p2p :thumbup

Don't wanna pay for it? Then use linux or whatever old version you got. Advocating piracy and having "spam" for a bt site (w/ torrents of copyrighted contents as expected) as your nick and sig... Against the most basic forum rules (piracy AND spam as far as I'm conerned). Won't be surprised if you get banned without warning.

btw, what is an upgrade vers? does that mean i cant install it as i normally would by booting the cd?

I haven't used XP upgrade (much less a Vista upgrade version), but all the upgrade versions I've tried so far did ask for some previous install media and/or keys (or an installed and registered version) - useless for unattended installs, and quite bothersome.

MS should allow us to order thru them and give them our cdkey and they can discount us and give is a retail cd. upgrade is just pointless, and i dont want to dish out 500$ for vista, 300$ i guess is more reasonable.

Yes. That would be far better. I already find my PS CS2 upgrade version annoying (but price was right - just 150$). And 500$ is way too much money for a desktop OS indeed, even at 300$ I find it pretty bad (XP Home OEM is like 96$ CAD right now, and most people find that bad enough!)

Zxian: yes, but then again who needs and buys XP Pro retail for home? For 99% of them, XP Home is more than enough, and the OEM version is cheap (96$CAD like I've said before). Not everyone changes motherboard every other week either, so most people I know go for that (if it wasn't already bundled with the PC they bought)

I'm definitely NOT switching to linux as a main desktop OS anytime soon as basically none of the apps I use and need run on it, nor have direct equivalents (Visual Studio 2005 & SQL Server 2005 & tons of other programming stuff - and all the apps I've made, Photoshop CS2 & DSLR's RAW software and such, MS Office (although OOo isn't all that bad), Visio and TONS more). But it'll be useful for some little tasks to start with (browse web, play music - things like that) but mainly for some server tasks I've meant to get a permanent linux box for (firewall/NAT, LAMP stack, Asterix, samba, etc). I've meant to try mono for quite some time too.

Looks like I was late on the news though. It was also posted under the "news" section, and the site's front page too (I always go directly to forum, so hadn't seen it).

@crahak - Exactly. The "Ultimate" edition will have features that home users will never use or need. Home Premium will have Media Center (IIRC), so if people want the fancy-stuffs, then that's probably all they'll need.

Isn't the beta going to be public?

If I want Vista I'll just get the beta, from what I've seen it's quite close to final already.

Not that I want Vista, maybe if I need it for something though...

The beta (well, last RC)? Likely it will. But then again, they expire. Either 14 days with no activation, or one year with the current evaluation keys for those who asked for one (I missed the opportunity, and 14 days is too short of a trial to even bother with it).

I was looking forward to it, but since I would need a new PC to get it, and that's it's highly overpriced, I just may not bother with it at all...

• 2 weeks later...