Trying to create a home network w/crossover cable. PLZ help!

stephmw

Hi there, I'm sorry to even be posting. I've been at this for HOURS searching through hundreds of forums and help pages, conferring with my boyfriend (until he finally gave in and went to bed) and I can NOT get this to work.

Here's the deal:

I've got two computers, a laptop with XP Pro and a desktop also with XP Pro. I want to network them so that I may share some large files without having to burn multiple discs and "sneaker" it. I bought a crossover cable from a store, it appears to be correct and in working order as I see the little network icon pop up and say it's connected. But I can't get the two computers to work correctly.

I'm not even sure what my problem is. The computers both have unique names, are on the same workgroup and have similar IP addresses. I have TCP/IP Protocol, I have NetBIOS installed, I have disabled Simple file sharing along with enabling "Let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users" and disabling "Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares". I've made sure the Computer Browser is started and set to automatic. I believe I have disabled all firewalls. I reinstalled Printer and File Sharing. I've probably done more I just can't think of anything else as I've been at it so long.

When I ping the IP addresses from each computer I have some luck, they see each other, but usually only get about 2 out of 4 received with the other 2 "Request Timed Out". Sometimes I'm able to view workgroup computers, albeit it loads VERY SLOWLY. When it does show the systems I'm unable to access anything on the laptop from the desktop, being told I am not allowed to access. The folders I have shared don't show up in My Network Places (only the ones on that comp eg:I see the shared laptop folders in MY Network places on the laptop, but not the shared folders from the desktop). Ive tried mapping but that hasn't seemed to work either. Can someone please try to help me, I'm about to tear out all of my hair.

First did you set a fixed ip adress on both computers ?

If you didn't, try setting :

- first computer : ip adress: 10.0.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, no gateway

- second computer : ip adress: 10.0.0.3, subnet 255.255.255.0, no gateway

Second, did you disabled XP Firewall if you've got SP2 ?

Third, if you can't ping correctly don't try modifying netbios etc... because if ping doesn't work, you won't connect to the other computer. The problem can be the crossover cable, networks card (not very often), networks drivers.

First did you set a fixed ip adress on both computers ?

If you didn't, try setting :

- first computer : ip adress: 10.0.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, no gateway

- second computer : ip adress: 10.0.0.3, subnet 255.255.255.0, no gateway

Second, did you disabled XP Firewall if you've got SP2 ?

Third, if you can't ping correctly don't try modifying netbios etc... because if ping doesn't work, you won't connect to the other computer. The problem can be the crossover cable, networks card (not very often), networks drivers.

Hi!

Umm, yes, both IP addresses are set up manually and fixed

Laptop: 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, no gateway

Desktop: 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, no gateway

Yes, XP firewall is disabled

I'm pretty sure the cable would be fine as I just bought it brand new. I have networked before successfully with both computer's cards so I know the cards are fine, and so would be the drivers I imagine. I wouldn't know how to figure if there was a problem with the cable.

Since posting this thread I've managed to be able to view all shared folders/drives on both computers in My Network Places, but now the problem is an intense lag. It takes up to 5 minutes just to open a folder/drive and then when I go to copy something over it takes so much time for the copy window to appear then it goes for a bit and I get the message that the server area/network place (can't remember exactly what the message said) is no longer there. I don't know what to do, why would my connection be so slow, when both say it's connected at 100 mbps?

If the cable is damaged or making a bad contact somewhere, you can get this kind of problems.

Also some cable aren't shielded, so if the cable goes by a strong magnetic field, you might encounter problems.

What is the length of the cable ?

Crossover cable should not be longer than 25 meters if you don't want to have problems.

Also for your question about getting 100mb/s: the speed is negociated once. So if the packets for speed negociation pass through, you can even get 1Gb/s and not able to get 10mb/s after.

Edited by allen2

If the cable is damaged or making a bad contact somewhere, you can get this kind of problems.

Also some cable aren't shielded, so if the cable goes by a strong magnetic field, you might encounter problems.

What is the length of the cable ?

Crossover cable should not be longer than 25 meters if you don't want to have problems.

The cable length is only 6 meters, the computers share the same desk. As for magnetic fields, I would imagine a computer would have magnets of some sort, but as the cable is made for computers I'm sure they wouldn't cause any interference. There's nothing else around the computers/cable that would cause a strong magnetic field.

Hi there, I'm sorry to even be posting.
Why? That is what a forum is for :wacko:

Welcome! :hello:

Do you have any other networking setup? It sounds as if you aren't using the internet at all with your current setup. If you have more network connections we might be able to try some things to isolate the problem. Also try disabling any unused adapters that show up in your control panel while we troubleshoot this.

Did you try allen2's last suggestion? Check the device settings for both of the network adapters for any bad settings.

I wouldn't know how to figure if there was a problem with the cable.
Try another crossover or use a stright-thru with a hub or switch.

Actually, disabling automatic speed negotiation might help, as the two NICs may be getting confused deciding who is going to establish the speed.

Also, it's 100 megabit eth., the actual speed is likely to be around 10 megabytes per second.

Edited by LLXX

stephmw,

I had similar issue like yours until recently (but not so extreme). I found the issue to be SMB signing (if you search on "disable SMB signing" you'll find a lot of info). I'll post the solution below, but first, let me explain.

Some of the entries here were marked as "unsafe" or "dangerous as to totally break connectivity" by Microsoft or others. Let me tell you, until recently, I concurred and found those statements to be quite reasonable. But when I sat down and thought about it - that's when it dawned to me. Sign/encrypt every packet between two computers connected with 3m LAN cable?! Someone would tap into that?! No wonder the laptop's CPU fan went bezerk when it copied files through LAN - it couldn't keep up.

So I started disabling them one by one and found NO problems, even with mixed configurations on the two/three computers. The unbelievable thing was - the speed went up from 5000 bytes/bits/whatever per second to 11000 and all the delays were gone.

OF COURSE, THIS MAY BE WERY UNSAFE ON WIRELESS LAN and I HAVEN'T TESTED IT IN A DOMAIN ENVIRONMENT (and they say this tweak could definitely break connectivity there, but they also said the same for normal network connections), but let me tell you, I'm not changing it back any time soon.

So, here it is (I've combined them in one reg file):

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\parameters]
"EnableSecuritySignature"=dword:0
"RequireSecuritySignature"=dword:0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
"EnableSecuritySignature"=dword:0
"RequireSecuritySignature"=dword:0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
"RequireSignOrSeal"=dword:0
"RequireStrongKey"=dword:0
"SealSecureChannel"=dword:0
"SignSecureChannel"=dword:0

There is another one, but I think that REALLY breaks connectivity if both computers are not set to same value (0 or 1), and I think it doesn't matter for speed:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ldap]
LdapClientIntegrity=dword:1

And I repeat, I had no problems whatsoever with any combination of computers/values of these keys I've tried (I'VE NOT TRIED THEM ALL!). If you or somebody else wants to try them, I think the safe procedure would be to change them one at a time to zero (all above default to 1) and reboot. If connectivity breaks, undo the last change. BTW, my current setup is as above (all zeroes, except ldap)

GL

*edit:

1. Just to clarify, these settings aren't applicable to regular Internet connections (only to file sharing over LAN and/or logon)

2. These can be applied through group policy also (digitally sign communications/always/if client supports)

3. Tested on Windows XP Pro SP2 / Windows 2000 Workstation SP4

Edited by GrofLuigi

pic1yl4.jpg

What does this part show on your config? BTW, this is the Local security policy window. Goto control panel->administrative tool>local security policy. Then just go into the tree that's in the pic. Also, everything else looks empty for security reasons.

Edited by CptMurphy