Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

Just curious: What is 'Windows Networking Tool (the Windows XP version)?' I'm assuming it's a program, or maybe a set of programs? What does it do?

This is the Network Wizard that is available in Windows XP that automatically configures your system to network with other computers. It works perfectly well when used on a Windows 98 machine.

This is the Network Wizard that is available in Windows XP that automatically configures your system to network with other computers. It works perfectly well when used on a Windows 98 machine.

Cool. So, can i download it by itself, separated from the 98se Auto-Patcher, by any chance?

Edited by seskanda

Module: Win98 to Me

Contents:

The core of MDGx’s Win98 to Me (replaces EXPLORER.EXE, USER.EXE, USER32.DLL with Windows ME versions)

- note: this is probably the single best upgrade to install on your system. It is unbelievable how much faster, stable, and more responsive the OS is after this update is installed. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Does this update require Internet Explorer to be installed beforehand?

Cool. So, can i download it by itself, separated from the 98se Auto-Patcher, by any chance?

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/98264/NETSETUP-zip.html

Contents:

The core of MDGx’s Win98 to Me (replaces EXPLORER.EXE, USER.EXE, USER32.DLL with Windows ME versions)

- note: this is probably the single best upgrade to install on your system. It is unbelievable how much faster, stable, and more responsive the OS is after this update is installed. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I'm sorry i'm not sure if this works on a system without Internet Explorer ... IE comes default with the OS and its pretty hard to get rid of it entirely. If you are asking do you need to upgrade to IE 6 sp1 before installing this, then the answer is no. It should work fine.

Edited by soporific

Then it should work with just IE 5.0, right? Have you heard of IEradicator 2001? It removes ALL IE versions from 9x systems, but retains web view/thumbnails. There's also Revenge of Mozilla, i never tried this one, though.

Then it should work with just IE 5.0, right? Have you heard of IEradicator 2001? It removes ALL IE versions from 9x systems, but retains web view/thumbnails. There's also Revenge of Mozilla, i never tried this one, though.

Well if you don't upgrade to 6 sp1, then you're gonna have v5. As I said, on a fresh install I installed the Win98 to Me and everything worked afterwards. Much faster.

If you want to give something back, did you notice any inaccuracies when using the report function at any time?

Contents:

All 98SE2ME options [except option 3] do not require IE, any version, only the one that installs as part of the OS [iE 5.0] when you first installed Windows 98 SE.

But option 3 [which installs WinME explorer.exe, shell32.dll, comdlg32.dll, docprop*.dll, webvw.dll and a few others] requires IE 5.5 or newer:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#IEX

because WinME files installed by option 3 require it.

Complete 98SE2ME guide:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

98SE2ME:

- forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

- screen shots:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/

- step-by-step guide:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#KRM9S

HTH

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but when I check Windows Update, I now get a message saying that this site is only for computers running Windows, and that MacIntosh users should go to a different site. This occurs both on my computer (running Windows 98SE) and on a friend's (running Windows ME). Has Microsoft decided to disown both 98SE and ME and redirect their users to apple?

microsoftrejectionjw9.jpg

HEY!!! Soporific!

I found the problem with Optional Components / 3d Party Apps (specifically 7-zip). The problem was the LOCATE program used in routine "MainCode.bat".

Here is the code patch I used to (temporarily) "fix" the error (comments included):

:DOLOCA
:: use the LOCATE.COM method --- this finds a file anywhere on the system
:::::::: TEMP CODE
::: Guess what! The LOCATE.COM uses the "SET LOCATE=" variable to
::: utilize default options... (ref. LOCATE.TXT in the package)
:::
::: SO....
::: we temporarily swap the "LOCATE" variable into a temporary
::: variable for execution and then swap them back afterwards...
::: OR change the variable named "LOCATE" to something else...
::: (p.s.#1: LOCATE.TXT also states use a ":" (colon) for file count...)
::: (p.s.#2: ALSO the "not found" string was wrong...)
::::: TEMP SWAP!!! :::::
SET whyme=%LOCATE%
SET LOCATE=
::: old and new instructions follow...
:: "%LOCATE%\bin\LOCATE" "%CHECK%" /F1 /G | Find /i "No Matches Found" >nul
"%whyme%\bin\LOCATE" "%CHECK%" /F:1 /G | Find /i "No matches found" >nul
::::: SWAP BACK!!! :::::
SET LOCATE=%whyme%
SET whyme=
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 goto DOFILC2
goto DIALOG3

Hope I did this message right; I'm new to this message board.

Haven't fully tested this beast yet, BUT since I have a LARGE background in mainframes and related scripting (".bat" files are similar to JCL) AND have forced myself to learn M$, I thought it prudent to dig into this. I am building several older PC's for kids/friends using 98SE and since I am lazy (and stumbled onto this) I thought I would try it out, letting you do the "heavy lifting".

Also, I noted that you had apparently originally (?) intended this to be used from a cd, did you know there are freeware versions of "FINDCD.EXE"? Google it... I THINK there is a legit project out there...

l8tr, dude! Back to testing...

Oh yeah, one more thing... "LOCATE", as used, finds the FIRST occurrence of the said "filename" and then does a "CD" (change directory) to the path where found.

Hope this doesn't glitch the process; shouldn't IF the 7-zip was installed/found in the default install folder... :thumbup:thumbup

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but when I check Windows Update, I now get a message saying that this site is only for computers running Windows, and that MacIntosh users should go to a different site. This occurs both on my computer (running Windows 98SE) and on a friend's (running Windows ME). Has Microsoft decided to disown both 98SE and ME and redirect their users to apple?

I get the same message --- it happens on a completely clean and fresh install of Win98se and also after its been patched. I only JUST included an option to go to Windows Update automatically from the menu options, and then they go and do this. Really makes you loyal to Microsoft doesn't it?

HEY!!! Soporific!

I found the problem with Optional Components / 3d Party Apps (specifically 7-zip). The problem was the LOCATE program used in routine "MainCode.bat".

Here is the code patch I used to (temporarily) "fix" the error (comments included):

:DOLOCA
:: use the LOCATE.COM method --- this finds a file anywhere on the system
::: Guess what! The LOCATE.COM uses the "SET LOCATE=" variable to
::: utilize default options... (ref. LOCATE.TXT in the package)
::: SO....
::: we temporarily swap the "LOCATE" variable into a temporary
::: variable for execution and then swap them back afterwards...
::: OR change the variable named "LOCATE" to something else...
::: (p.s.#1: LOCATE.TXT also states use a ":" (colon) for file count...)
::: (p.s.#2: ALSO the "not found" string was wrong...)
::::: TEMP SWAP!!! :::::
SET whyme=%LOCATE%
SET LOCATE=
::: old and new instructions follow...
:: "%LOCATE%\bin\LOCATE" "%CHECK%" /F1 /G | Find /i "No Matches Found" >nul
"%whyme%\bin\LOCATE" "%CHECK%" /F:1 /G | Find /i "No matches found" >nul
::::: SWAP BACK!!! :::::
SET LOCATE=%whyme%
SET whyme=
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 goto DOFILC2
goto DIALOG3

Hope I did this message right; I'm new to this message board.

Haven't fully tested this beast yet, BUT since I have a LARGE background in mainframes and related scripting (".bat" files are similar to JCL) AND have forced myself to learn M$, I thought it prudent to dig into this. I am building several older PC's for kids/friends using 98SE and since I am lazy (and stumbled onto this) I thought I would try it out, letting you do the "heavy lifting".

Also, I noted that you had apparently originally (?) intended this to be used from a cd, did you know there are freeware versions of "FINDCD.EXE"? Google it... I THINK there is a legit project out there...

l8tr, dude! Back to testing...

No, you did the message right, and thanks for finding the problem with LOCATE.COM --- It was driving me nuts. I can now redo that entire module - because LOCATE.COM wasn't working, it just put a stop to anything else I was going to put in there. I can now go back to where I was at about 2 months ago with my plans for that module.

THANKS AGAIN !!! And also for the post after the one I quoted.... the code probably looks a bit funny but that was because I was trying to overcome the LOCATE.COM problem --- so i will re-check it as i go.

Edited by soporific

submix8c, welcome aboard !! I just reviewed the entire problem and your suggestions and comments and have realised you are going to be good for this project ... very good. I had better get a version of 1.95 uploaded quick smart because that's a little more robust than 1.80 with 1.92 tacked on. I'm on it ...

I just wish there was even ONE WORD of feedback on the layout of the navigation and the changes from v1.92 to v1.95 (the improved report function with all the time statistics and such) ---- come on guys don't keep me in suspense ... even if its just 'Its all good!' --- or 'what a mistake, please go back to the original letters' that's at least something ...

i have my feedback begging cup out in front of me and there's nothing yet inside it .... :unsure::(:blink::wacko::P )

Edited by soporific

It's not enough that I'm in a deep depression and very p***ed off... this board had to throw me a 404 when I tried to post earlier. :( So I'll keep it short: new keys are OK, more intuitive. Good change. Directory Services Update still appears in the list while it shouldn't. The report doesn't mention the package version that created it. Is it that hard to add "Created by Auto-Patcher x.xx"?

I wish you kept the debug choice code I added, at least for debug builds.

I atttach a text file containing both an old report (which version?) and the new 1.95 one.

Report: