Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

soporific

Your trials at WinUP site are due to the erasing of the below key's value by the reinstallation of IE. I really don't know why they do it that way but the iewizard does it every time it fires up. This is the text one sees when clicking on Help/About in IE but with the title 'Update Versions:' instead of the key's name of 'MinorVersion'.

<snip>

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for your wealth of information -- i sort of knew that was the problem with WU but its good to have it spelled out exactly what's happening. I'm not sure I'm going to do much with the info, either I embark on the project to make AP in complete harmony with WU, or not, and frankly i'd anticipate it taking quite a bit of time and I promised myself that my music side would get a go this year, taking off my propellerhead hat and hanging it up for a bit. But who knows, maybe even arranging some of the modules will help -- now that I know that it is IE that causes the mayhem i can work around that. See, you've helped already.

hi I tried to download Version 1.8 from the link on page 1 of this thread that links to softpedia

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enh...dows-98SE.shtml

On this page I can only find the V 1.92 update.

There are 4 links on the page - 2 for the update and 2 for the main program v1.8 --- how can you only be seeing 2 links? Have another look... i used the link from your post and started the download within 10 seconds ... just letting you know

Edited by soporific

now that I know that it is IE that causes the mayhem i can work around that. See, you've helped already.

Thanks for the kind words, I understand your hesitation to do a thing with WinUP/QFECheck alignment. It's a hassle all the way but at least now you know exactly where to look. If it were me doing it, I'm thinking I would make one reg file or inf file that writes that key after everything else gets done, a sort of a patch to the patch approach. And even that is problematic depending on what actually ran.

--------------------

SoftPedia site is not going to work for me. I had the same confusion as dondwsmith in that I did get 1.92 file with no problems but the text on the 1.8 link is misleading enough that I didn't know it was THE link I was looking for. BOTH files are on the same page, guys!

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Auto...load-64269.html

SP Mirror (US) - Update (v1.92 <<<<< click here and

SP Mirror (RO) - Update (v1.92

Softpedia Secure Download (US) (v1.8 <<<<< here

Softpedia Secure Download (RO) (v1.8

But even with that snafu ironed out, I go to resume my 2 megs downloaded from last night of the 1.8 file this morning and because SoftPedia is offline or some other reason (needs cookies?), Download Express pukes, destroys what I did get and can't even start over. This is not going to work for me at 14.4 dial up fellas, sorry - I've got a life too.

As is, I'm looking at several days to get the 220 meg downloaded with no phone for all that time. And the last time this happened, my sister called the cops out on us for fear that we were all dead out here, thankfully they couldn't be bothered enough to drive out and check on us. Or maybe that's a bad thing?

Great Work Soporific ! I installed everything on Versions 1.8 and 1.92. My computer runs much better ! Thanks so much.

I'm not acomplainer, however there is about a 10 or 11 second "hang" after a re-boot, right when it logs on to the network.

Any suggestions or comments would greatly be appreciated.

Brian

ShadeTreeLee: you may wanna try FlashGet for a download manager. To be on the safe side - as there have been some bug reports for the 1.8x versions - you may wanna try 1.73, which was still available for download a couple days ago. I've been using it for years and it works fine with Softpedia.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Hey everybody, kinda new here and need help. I have already installed the service pack and was going to install the auto-patcher, 98se2me and revolutions. My problem is when I click on the auto-patcher 1.8 exe file, it goes almost to the end and asks for Disk 2, 1.82. I have looked through this thread quickly and have found nothing yet and thought I would ask. I know that I have probably overlooked something here so I am sorry if I am repeating an earlier question. Thanks for any help.

Matt

Nevermind. When I downloaded this it was at work and when I burned it somehow some stuff got on the back of the disc and messed up the burn. Thanks anyway.

Edited by big3b

I'm not acomplainer, however there is about a 10 or 11 second "hang" after a re-boot, right when it logs on to the network.

Does anyone have any guesses to what could cause a new 10 second delay as above ??

I'll look into a torrent ...

Edited by soporific

Could be because of the DUN 1.4 upgrade... I noticed the same thing on a clean install after I upgrade certain components. Usually, I install DUN 1.4 manually, together with IE6-SP1, just to be sure. However, I never cared to keep an evidence of what's changed in terms of behaviour after installing this or that, so I may be wrong.

Why *should* I even worry about DUN?? I use WiFi...

and I don't use IE. either... so do I still need the DUN update??

From what I recall, all DUN updates/fixes/patches/etc are necessary no matter what protocol you use to connect, even satellite, WiFi/wireless, cable/LAN or DSL/WAN, because some DUN components are used by the OS for all types of connections.

And it doesn't matter which web browser(s) you use either, all web browsers are just an interface between your local computer/terminal/device/appliance and the internet/network/remote server, not a connection protocol.

M$ DUN 1.3 and 1.4 updates are probably built with a proprietary iexpress tool or some other installer tool [?], that's why it doesn't behave same as most other installers [which are built with iexpress].

HTH

Change log for v1.95: *NOT YET RELEASED*

- i plan this to be another preview release, available on public server

- code for the Root Certificate Update improved - uses maths now and so is future proof -- the file is also more recent

- code for the Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement (q239887) has reverted back to what it was circa v1.7 - i knew there was a reason i stopped using the INF file, its probably the worst packaged hotfix Microsoft ever released (apart from DUN14) and doesn't play well with ANYONE! Stupid brat hotfix ... needs a good smack is what it needs.

- the program now uses the default web browser to take you to the homepage. If you aren't using IE then it doesn't matter now.

- the report function has been vastly improved - you can search for missing updates based upon your selections in the modules section, the process is quicker, and the results are numbered and broken down into which modules they came from, and the total number of missing updates is recorded at the end. I repeat, the report function has been VASTLY improved.

- Ummmm ... in what may be a slightly controversial move, i've changed around all the navigation letters in the module menu pages. eg. '(T) Toggle - more options' is now (U) Use more options, (S) will now save your choices, not start the installations, (I) will start the installations, and so on. This was done after lots of thought and not on a whim. The letters were simply all over the place because i only started out with a few and just kept assigning new ones to what was left. I hope you all agree it was worth it and that its not too much of an inconvenience having to re-learn the navigation letters!

- (more to come...)

Edited by soporific

Glad to see you back to this. Could we get an alpha/beta update for this version, instead of a full PR? I mean, with all those changes, there's chance something might go wrong and people could get upset for having downloaded a big file. Besides, I think many (if not all) of the interested people would have already downloaded the big 1.8.

Anyway, it's your call - I just came in with my thought.

Glad to see you back to this. Could we get an alpha/beta update for this version, instead of a full PR? I mean, with all those changes, there's chance something might go wrong and people could get upset for having downloaded a big file. Besides, I think many (if not all) of the interested people would have already downloaded the big 1.8.

Anyway, it's your call - I just came in with my thought.

I'll go you one better, how about right now? --- the report function is now unrecognisable from what it was --- if you would like to test it out and also check out the new navigation and layout, please download the attachment and install to the program directory. I highly advise making a test copy of the program and using that to test ... PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL ANYTHING, just muck about as much as you want with the report function, especially from within the modules section --- the code is for the latest updates so you might get a few surprises. I'll upload the attachment in just a sec ...

and i will offer an upgrade pack as well...

the attachment is now available to download .... i tested the zip contents by installing a fresh copy of v1.8 and then overwriting with the contents of the zip file. All the report functions seemed to work

remember: its not a good idea to try to use the alpha to install anything, unless you are inside a VM or are using a test machine. you can go as far as the 'Are you sure' screen and its a good idea to do so, so you can read the extra messages when you use the 'Force re-installation' and 'registry tweak undo' functions. Also try to select the NUSB30 update, and try the Select All function. Have fun !!! And lots of feedback is great ...

REMEMBER:

1) use the alpha to do anything but install.

2) the navigation letters are all different ... sorry.

Autopatcher1.95_Alpha.zip

Edited by soporific

Don't worry, Miranda never leaves my plate empty, so take your time. I'll check back later on.

Off-topic: the 200MHz Pentium MMX machine I was planning on using for Auto-Patcher (and other) tests will have to go to my daughter instead. So I'm left with an 166 MHz Pentium now, which I have yet to set up. Is time running out faster, or am I getting older and slower? :unsure:

[EDIT] Seconds are definitely shorter for you. :P

Edited by Drugwash