ISO vs non ISO version & expanded SP install

videobruce

The questions;

1. What are the differences between choosing a bootable iso version and not checking that option? Is one version better than the other (smaller/faster etc.)? Does it matter?

2. Can a already expanded service pack be used instead of the d/l'ed .exe?

Hope that made sense. Thanks

Edited by videobruce

1- If your CD isnt bootable the its just a drink coaster, the ISO file is only a few megabites bigger than the data CD, besides if it isnt bootable your not gonna be able to do a clean install, you will have to download bootable floppy maker wich requires 6 blank floppies from microsoft wich take forever to boot from.

2- EDITED: Thanks to Camarade_Tux He gave the right answer

Edited by ricktendo64

1. Making bootable iso doesn't change that Windows it only prepares the ISO so that you may boot and install from it without initiating installation from already existing windows, isn't it better to boot and format?

Also I recommend booting from it, winnt*.exe methods are somewhat buggier when it comes to modified windows.

2. To be exact extracted sp selection path is stated in nLite when you click Insert, it's .\update\update.exe

Thanks for the replies, but none of that made any sense.

Maybe you don't understand the question.

This choice of making a "bootable ISO file" vs NOT checking that option is what I wanted to know the difference of.

IOW's pros and cons of both methods...................

OK.. nLite will make a bootable ISO from the XP files you just slippstreamed updated and reduced and save it to a diferent location on the HDD, meaning youll have 2 versions of XP on the HDD, the bootable one and the other non-bootable files you just modified.

You dont have to make the bootable ISO right away, you can skip this step and close nLite and slipstream XPize or DriverPacks, then you can reopen nLite and make the ISO. You dont have to do everything @ once

Edited by ricktendo64

Forget Nero use nLite to make the ISO, give it a cool name BruceXP_SP3

Then to burn the ISO with Nero go to Recorder>Burn Image

If you want to know which one makes a smaller ISO just make two and compare both and see which you prefer, but nLite is the best option no need to extract anything becuz nLite includes the .img files neccesary for making the bootable image just a click and nLite will do it all for you.

Edited by ricktendo64

No ricktendo. Using nero directly saves u the hassle of 300mbs or so on ur hard disk. The boot.ima file used in nlite is the same as the boot.bin file on the root of the disc. They're not the same ut they serve the same purpose. And burning directly w/o making an iso (if ur sure and u know it'll work if u haven't tested it) is much quicker.

nLite includes the .img files neccesary for making the bootable image just a click and nLite will do it all for you.
Yes, I figured that out and it is a nice plus. I wish the program would create a new folder with the modified files instead of you doing it before hand. I have forgotten to do this three different times so far and wind up coping the files from the CD all over again. :}

But, to sum it up, the iso option just makes it easier to burn a copy though if you wanted to add more files later you couldn't?

Now, for the 2nd question;

2. Can a already expanded service pack be used instead of the d/l'ed .exe?
Edited by videobruce

YES! nuhagic answerd it

In the uncompressd ServicePack you will see a I386 folder

i386cm9.jpg

And inside that you will see a update folder

updatenj4.jpg

Go inside that to update.exe and choose that as the servicepack2.exe for slipstremaing and nLite will take care of the rest :)

updateexerw0.jpg

It should only take a few seconds :hello:

YES! nuhagic answerd it
That wasn't clear, but I see exactly what you mean.

I already had a uncompressed version of sp2 that I wondered if there was any benifit of doing it that way.

Thanks again.

Edited by videobruce