Cannot access wireless pc through router

nfm

Hi,

I have 2 pcs at home, one is connected to wireless router thru cat6 cable and the other is connected wirelessly. I have setup same workgroup name and gave each pc a name. On my pc that is connected through a cable I shared a folder. That folder is accessible on my second pc that is connected wirelessly.

The problem is that I want to share folder from pc that has wireless adapter and see it from pc that is connecte through a cable. When I try to access wireless one I get this:

blahun4.th.jpg

I don't get this because wireless pc doesn't have any password to its account. I don't know what to type in. Is this some kind of wireless protection. My router filters MAC addresses and there's WPA encrytpion enabled.

Edited by Kamil

I would set a password on the account first of all. I wouldn't recommend having any account on any machine non pw protected, especially one with admin rights. Then allow that user whatever permission you'd like on the share, most likely full control, then connect with user name and pw. Since you're being propted for logon info, you know the connection to the box is there. It seems to me it's just an access/rights issue. You could also try just mapping a drive to the share. \\IP or hostname\share name. Put a $ at the end of the share name to make it hidden.

Thank you sir,

Ignore funny comp. names <humor /> :P . I set password on wireless pc, went to my cable pc, typed in username and password and it worked.

One thing I don't understand is why the wirless pc didn't ask for username and password to connect to the cable pc, also I don't like password protected pcs, but it look like I need to start using passwords.

Now all I have left is to connect them through a crossover cable for highest data transfer. ;)

Hi,

I have 2 pcs at home, one is connected to wireless router thru cat6 cable and the other is connected wirelessly. I have setup same workgroup name and gave each pc a name. On my pc that is connected through a cable I shared a folder. That folder is accessible on my second pc that is connected wirelessly.

The problem is that I want to share folder from pc that has wireless adapter and see it from pc that is connecte through a cable. When I try to access wireless one I get this:

blahun4.th.jpg

I don't get this because wireless pc doesn't have any password to its account. I don't know what to type in. Is this some kind of wireless protection. My router filters MAC addresses and there's WPA encrytpion enabled.

I think your Guest account might be disabled. Right-click on My Computer, go to Manage > Local Users and Groups > Users, make sure your Guest account is enabled. Then go to Start > Run... > type in "gpedit.msc" and browse to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment, and make sure that "Everyone" or "Guest" is in the "Access this computer from the network" and that "Guest" is NOT specified in "Deny access to this computer from the network". Also make sure that "Guest" is specified in "Deny logon locally" so that no one accesses your computer using the Guest account.

Or make sure you are using the same username and passwords on each computer.

See attached screenshots.

post-1828-1154736994_thumb.jpg

post-1828-1154737001_thumb.jpg

Indeed, guest account on wireless pc was somehow disabled, I owe you a beer gamehead200 :D (I don't know how you knew that one). Now everything works fine, no password required. Does this mean that my PCs are secure? I hope that nobody can see my folders or hack into my router with same workgroup name. Should I leave passwords on both PCs?

This is like the first time in a year that I got some of my questions answered, thanks guys. I never was into networking stuff...

Indeed, guest account on wireless pc was somehow disabled, I owe you a beer gamehead200 :D (I don't know how you knew that one). Now everything works fine, no password required. Does this mean that my PCs are secure? I hope that nobody can see my folders or hack into my router with same workgroup name. Should I leave passwords on both PCs?

This is like the first time in a year that I got some of my questions answered, thanks guys. I never was into networking stuff...

This is a common problem when setting up file sharing. You NEED the "Guest" account in order to access shared files, otherwise it will always ask you for a username/password when you try accessing it.

I had this same problem a while back and asked on the forum, but eventually found my answer here. Here is my original thread, from almost a year ago! :P

However, what I have setup at home is even more secure. Basically, I share all the folders I don't want anyone to have access to but me under my username by restricting "Everyone" and only allowing me, "Michael". You must turn off Simple File Sharing for this to work and have the same username/password on the computers you want to access these files to. Then, you will be able to access everything without putting in a password. Sounds confusing, but if you read that page, you should understand it a bit more.

Also, the restrictanonymous setting helped me out a bit.

Turn off the ability for your router to assign a DMZ, and set it to something like 192.168.1.255 or disable it completely, this way outsiders won't be able to access your shared files. At the moment, anyone on your network can view your shared files using the "Guest" credentials. You should turn off Simple File Sharing like I did and setup users that have access to those files/folders! And yes, you should leave passwords on both PCs no matter what.

Good luck securing it even further! :D

Because gamehead is THE MAN! :yes:

That's right! ;)

It'd be far better to have passwords for all accounts and not have the Guest account enabled, esp. for XP HE.

Passwords are a must, however, there is no advantage/disadvantage in disabling the Guest account. As long as you do not share anything under the "Everyone" group, then you shouldn't have a problem. And remember, you can't use this account locally unless you set it to do so.

Great info,

I had to disable passwords on both pcs, since I want to access some of my files from wireless pc and my sister want to stream audio & video from mine. I'm using Guest account ("Everyone" account). There isn't anybody at my house who will do some damage to my files therefore I don't want passwords.

I always disable Simple File Sharing, to me it's a must. restrictanonymous also looks neat but it does not work with guess account, if I'll ever setup identical accounts on both pcs I'll use that along with password.

As for my router, I think it's safe, it has:

- WPA-PSK encrytption enabled

- SSID Broadcoast disabled (smart choice)

- Custom SSID name

- Password to a router

- MAC filters (very smart choice)

- And DMZ disabled

Now I have to change ip to my router from 192.168.0.1 to something like 192.199.0.0 (I believe that last digit should not be modified because it is a port number or something like that?)

getawaytf4.th.jpg

Does this looks like a correct spot to type in new ip so it would change default getaway from 192.168.0.1 to something else?

One last thing that can be done is to set static ips, but I'm too lazy for that now :P

So I think everything is safe or isn't? I never run antivirus nor firewall on my computers, too much bloat and resource for me, however, both machines are up-to-date.

And one last questions, does a router makes my connection with internet more secure than a pc connected straight to a cable modem?

Edited by Kamil

Great info,

I had to disable passwords on both pcs, since I want to access some of my files from wireless pc and my sister want to stream audio & video from mine. I'm using Guest account ("Everyone" account). There isn't anybody at my house who will do some damage to my files therefore I don't want passwords.

I always disable Simple File Sharing, to me it's a must. restrictanonymous also looks neat but it does not work with guess account, if I'll ever setup identical accounts on both pcs I'll use that along with password.

As for my router, I think it's safe, it has:

- WPA-PSK encrytption enabled

- SSID Broadcoast disabled (smart choice)

- Custom SSID name

- Password to a router

- MAC filters (very smart choice)

- And DMZ disabled

Now I have to change ip to my router from 192.168.0.1 to something like 192.199.0.0 (I believe that last digit should not be modified because it is a port number or something like that?)

getawaytf4.th.jpg

Does this looks like a correct spot to type in new ip so it would change default getaway from 192.168.0.1 to something else?

One last thing that can be done is to set static ips, but I'm too lazy for that now :P

So I think everything is safe or isn't? I never run antivirus nor firewall on my computers, too much bloat and resource for me, however, both machines are up-to-date.

And one last questions, does a router makes my connection with internet more secure than a pc connected straight to a cable modem?

Why do you want to change the gateway IP? The default should be fine. But if you do change it, it should be something similar to 192.168.0.1, like 192.199.0.1 or 192.199.1.1, the final .1 must be there. You'll probably screw something up with .0.

If you're careful on the Internet, then you shouldn't need an anti-virus. As for the firewall, you should be OK with your router, as most routers automatically block all ports unless specified. And yes, routers do make the Internet more secure than a PC connected directly to the modem, unless the PC has a firewall of somesort. If you are interested in a firewall, this thread should help you with your choice. If you have an extra PC laying around, you might want to use it as a dedicated firewall for your network.

:)

OK I found the value "192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255" from O'Reilly book. All I did is changed the stock/default ip address to router (geteway). It's really easy for somebody to log on because 192.168.0.1 is commonly used, changing it to something else makes you even more secure. I'll play around with proxy tomorrow, I never used it and don't know how it works, all I know is that it hides your ip address.

If you have an extra PC laying around, you might want to use it as a dedicated firewall for your network.
That's a smart idea :thumbup it would be probably easier, Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is neat. Edited by Kamil

OK I found the value "192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255" from O'Reilly book.
Don't use those. .0 is a Network ID (address) and .255 is the broadcast address. Gamehead is on target again here....using those values will cause problems.
(I believe that last digit should not be modified because it is a port number or something like that?)
No, an IPv4 address is a 32bit number normally represented by four 8bit octets (x.x.x.x). A port associated with an IP (usually called a socket) would usually be displayed as x.x.x.x:y

Passwords are a must, however, there is no advantage/disadvantage in disabling the Guest account. As long as you do not share anything under the "Everyone" group, then you shouldn't have a problem. And remember, you can't use this account locally unless you set it to do so.

What I'm trying to say is, the average user (not as knowledgeable as yourself) doesn't know how to configure permissions correctly as you described and for XP HE users, they cannot set policies or disable SFS. So it'd be simpler to set correct permissions on specific groups or users rather than worrying about configuring the Guest account.

If a user specifically wants to avoid the authentication box, then as I understand, having the Guest account enabled is the only option.

All I did is changed the stock/default ip address to router (geteway). It's really easy for somebody to log on because 192.168.0.1 is commonly used, changing it to something else makes you even more secure. I'll play around with proxy tomorrow, I never used it and don't know how it works, all I know is that it hides your ip address.

This is a good idea. I always change the default gateway to use something other than 1. I also disable DHCP and turn on the MAC filtering. Personally, I think if you take enough of the basic precautionary measures that you really don't need to turn on any heavy duty encryption. I've setup enough sites where there are some clients that have old enough wifi adapters that they won't support strong encryption anyway.

I've managed to finish today what I had to. I finally got xampp to work on gentoo linux installed on cracked xbox. With samba network sharing working now I mirrored my website: http://24.14.156.63/nfm/

I wonder what will happen when my ip address will get changed? :}

edit: can somebody check download speed on any files for me?

Edited by Kamil