Core 2 Duo

Beppe

Who knows, lets wait and see if and when the AMD/ATI deals becomes offical

ya. now that im reading more into this deal im feel more excited about all the new stuff that can happen. i just hope that the ati chipsets for these amd boards are quality.

well ide say possibly in a year. lets see how amd and ati do their chipsets. if nvidia is no longer needed by amd b/c ati can finally make a superior chipset, then maybe there will be an intel/nvidia pact.

Well, ATI has not been able to make a dent in Nvida's market, and with this pending aquistion, Nvidia will become the sole independent provider of Video Chips. Intel is quite able to do this but in a great quality as Nvida. Neither one needs to do a alliance, but if it does happen, you could see hugh problem for AMD/ATI. The only real thing can make ATI advance is the smaller process use. But again AMD does not have the large amounts of fabs as Intel.

I was not saying that nVidia is going to "work" for iNTEL, but there will be a new chipset out soon, they only still have the nForce4 SLI, and intel the 975X SLI, both with double 16x PCI-E ;).

It would make no sense for Intel to merge with nvidia. They don't need 'em in any way, shape or form.

nvidia will continue to make chipsets for both platforms, and video card stuff as always.

As for ati & amd, I do pretty much consider this a done deal. Really can't see it not happen, nor any reason for that.

Oh, BTW, I'm building a new Athlon64 X2 4200+ AMD Windsor/ASUS M2N-E system (very nice motherboard! 6 SATA ports w/ RAID5! A normal Core 2 Duo board with that would likely cost betwen 500 to 600$ if they made one...) Really looking forward to it! (I would have went for the Conroe if it wasn't for the poor selection and high prices of motherboards)

@Beppe: AMD has a energy efficient version of most of their chips. And they're going to transition to 65nm soon too. As for intel fixing something as big as their IA64 arch with a rev/stepping... Good luck with that.

And as for quad cores and such, Intel really needs to get their CSI bus out if it wants to compete with HT.

Edited by crahak

Speaking of 65nm process, AMD is not expectedd make the move anytime soon, and when they do, Intel will already have researched into faster, effiencet and smaller process. I did not say merge but an alliance. Much like how Intel and ATI is now.

Not to mention that many things could go wrong, remember that the FTC has to look over this deal and can make the decision that it is not in the best intrest of the US ecomony.

Edited by Shindo_Hikaru

Speaking of 65nm process, AMD is not expectedd make the move anytime soon

Wrong. There are even some sightings of them said 65nm CPUs on the web. They will ship soon; new X2 CPUs using the Brisbane core around December to early Q1 2007. Same goes for Opterons. Fab 36 will be making 65nm chips at the end of this year.

An 24 extra watts used when runnin at top speed (there's always cool and quiet) is hardly a big deal. Likely, it'll take that long to have some decent and not extremely overpriced Core 2 Duo motherboards available, which is a far bigger deal IMHO. Pay 150$ too much for a [poor selection of] motherboard (and have lesser 64bit perf), or pick a CPU that takes up 24 more watts at top speed? For most people, the choice is easy. It was for me at least (nice X2 4200+)

and when they do, Intel will already have researched into faster, effiencet and smaller process.

Right. Intel will be rolling chips based on 45nm process yesterday. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure! BTW, AMD w/ IBM already did something like you claim Intel will (e-SiGe w/ DSL & SMT)... That, and 65nm, and 45nm transition 18 months after that (Intel will be 6 months early only)... 65nm transition will bring 'em down to the same wattage as the Conroe (Not that 24 watts was a big deal in the first place). Quad cores are coming too, mid-2007.

I did not say merge but an alliance. Much like how Intel and ATI is now.

Still makes no sense. Intel doesn't need anything from nvidia. They already make fine chipsets, and make their "good enough" video stuff (they DO have a bigger share of the graphics market than ati or nvidia), and have slots on their boards for people that want something better (gamers). And why would nvidia want to partner or otherwise restrict/tie itself to either platform? They wouldn't gain anything from it. Unless you mean alliance as what ATI once had, which they've more or less always had (they already make chipsets for Intel boards), so nothing coming up either.

BTW, Intel and ATI are hardly in an alliance - much the inverse! Intel pulled ATI's license to their bus.

remember that the FTC has to look over this deal and can make the decision that it is not in the best intrest of the US ecomony.

That's exactly why I say it's more or less already a done deal. It would be absolutely STUPID for them to block it. Let the Intel monopoly rule, and let AMD die (they *NEED* ati's tech to stay competitive)? Of course, some competition can't be good for the market - it brings decent prices and drives innovation, and we wouldn't want that, would we?

As related news, IBM just announced they'll be using Opterons for their blade servers (Sun is using a lot of Opterons lately too). Hypertransport scales so well (even Cray uses it!)

Edited by crahak

Wrong. There are even some sightings of them said 65nm CPUs on the web. They will ship soon; new X2 CPUs using the Brisbane core around December to early Q1 2007. Same goes for Opterons. Fab 36 will be making 65nm chips at the end of this year.
Some test versions, but not offical. If you are quite the AMD fan you would know that AMD is expecting to roll out 65nm processor in the mid-2007
BTW, Intel and ATI are hardly in an alliance - much the inverse! Intel pulled ATI's license to their bus.

If you actually read previous news post, you will see Intel has done no such thing, read th new right, Regarding AMD/IBM joint venture in 45 process they started abit late in regards to Intels research, and the FTC can pull the plug anytime, nothing is ever a done deal, did you hever recall Echostar/DirectTV attemped merger, it was looked at a done deal but the FTC killed it, and thier is a list other FTC rulings that was supppose to be "done deals".

Some test versions, but not offical. If you are quite the AMD fan you would know that AMD is expecting to roll out 65nm processor in the mid-2007

Yes they are tests versions. But they will ship soon. That was exactly my point. And no, I'm not an "AMD fan", I can just read a product roadmap and press releases to expose your FUD. And no, that's not mid-2007, that's before that (end 2006 to Q1 2007). And if anyone here seems like a fanboy... (this is typed on a P4 519J, with Intel chipset and Intel GMA 900 video, and also have a P-M lappy besides me... heh)

If you actually read previous news post, you will see Intel has done no such thing, read th new right,

Well, I suggest YOU re-read the news post (yeah, the inq...) It's ridiculously simple and clear. They didn't renew it, essentialling revoking them rights to their chipset bus (or so they say). So, soon enough, no more boards with ATI chipsets for Intel. (Some people say thew news isn't true, but I have yet to see anything official stating the inverse either; and even if it wasn't the case, they could and would be likely to do it anytime being competitors. Not exactly what I'd call a strong alliance by any means.)

Regarding AMD/IBM joint venture in 45 process they started abit late in regards to Intels research

...which will give 'em a 6 month lead, like I said in my previous post.

and the FTC can pull the plug anytime, nothing is ever a done deal, did you hever recall Echostar/DirectTV attemped merger, it was looked at a done deal but the FTC killed it, and thier is a list other FTC rulings that was supppose to be "done deals".

That wasn't a done deal. That would have made one single giant satellite company, and we like to see competition in the free market. But I understand you'd like to see AMD die and have a Intel-only 100% monopoly and believe they have any valid reasons to do so. Nobody's expeting that. You keep dreaming the FTC will block it...

bleh... nevermind. pointless arguing w/ you, it's more about calling people things, like "close minded" (and I was going to buy a C2D until AMD dropped prices heh), "fanboy" and all, or sayings nice things like "educating yourself" (gee thanks, don't know what to say... now maybe I can hope to pass highschool some day?) to others more than anything.

Edited by crahak