Divx and .avi video files. Divx Encoder program question.

Messerschmitt

I have seen that almost all the video files are under .avi format. I am certain that they have been encoded with Divx let's say to reduce a 22 minute episode 150 GB from pure avi to 300 mb.

I have downloaded the Divx Converter and converted it, and it is now .divx

How does those people that encode their videos still keep their .avi extension and the files are not reciving the .divx extension? Never seen a file with .divx extension anyway so I supose I am doing something rong?

I have tried to encode a .mpg file and I get the same .dvix extension.

I am also interested in making these files readable by the DVD-Players. I know that the encoded .avi file I got from an episode was readable on my DVD-Player. But agian, I have no idea how to encode it while remaining .avi.

Edited by Messerschmitt

about the .divx

just rename it to .avi

offtopice

can i say a

i dont think HD TV is like 150 GB for 22 mins lol

so what in ... does 150 gb for 22 mins

i know RAW AVI can do that but i dont think you would be using that

Edited by ZcWorld

My TV Tuner if I set it to AVI capture format is doing the raw avi. Took me 1.5 GB for 1 minute. 150 GB for 22 minute was a bit exagerated sorry.

Other than AVI I have MPEG 1 2 and 4.

And if I rename the .divx to .avi will that be playable on my DVD-Player by chance? Or maybe I would have to test it by myself :)

Edited by Messerschmitt

EEEK!

i use MPEG 1 at 3 Mbit or 2.5

i can do MPEG 2 but its max out my CPU n goes s***ty at times

but i would do a test to see how the MPEG 4 looks and and use that

as def

ok about the .divx file as i said just rename it

no matter what file you put into the DIVX conver program it will always make a .divx file

even DR Divx V2 does that just rename them to .avi and they play fine

And if I rename the .divx to .avi will that be playable on my DVD-Player by chance? Or maybe I would have to test it by myself :)

does you dvd player support DIVX files ?

if so than it will if not

than arrr i dont think so

You need to extract video from .divx to a raw video, you should never rename it to .avi, this will lead to incompabilities. You can use virtualdubmod or mp4box with Yamb gui which are the best, If you're divx guy, I would recommend to use divx pro with virtualdubmod along with avisynth (requires little scripting, noob easy to use) and it would compile it into .avi. On the other side .avi is the worst container to store video & audio. I recommend you to use .mp4 container, you won't have to deal with lost audio frames, audio not in sync anymore and it is currently best technology. Switching to H.264 wouldn't hurt either, it is currently best H.264 video encoder in the world and provides best quality not even considering that it is an open source and didn't now even reached beta stage. x264's quality is just breathtaking.

Remeber, free is the best:

- DVDFab Decrypter (Dumb dvd into hdd breaking all codes)

- DGMPGDec (DVD2AVI) used to extract audio form dumped image aswell as the .d2v file which is later used with avisynth

- AviSynth (+ little scripting)

- x264 encoder (I always use commandline, since vfw is ancient and outdated) most people prefer to use GUIs such MeGUI, great for noobs and expierienced.

About the MPEG, I couldn't notice any difference between MPEG 4 and 2. Same Bit rate, same resolution, same frames and quality (highest), other than on my TV Tuner Player MPEG 4 is playing on a corner and about 40% of the screen is black. And sometimes it freezes, so I could sya Mpeg 2 is more reliable.

My other small problem is that if I try to record in AVI format and I set the frames at 25, it still records at 29.97 and the image goes faster than the sound, so teoreticaly I can't record in AVI format either if I don't want my sound delayed.

I didn't tried yet to change the frames for the MPEG and see if MPEG still keeps the frames at 25.

I will look into all those Kamil, didn't heard about some of them and I am not experienced in video either. Just for curiousity, once people encode it into Divx, why don't they just let it to .divx and everybody convert back to .avi?

Edited by Messerschmitt

I recommend use XviD instead - free, open-source and does not produce .divx files.

It's also said that the quality is better.

True that the downside of the Divx Converter is that you have to pay it. But the DVD Players cannot play Xvid correct?

Avi is merely a container , the actual audio and video inside still use their respective codecs, You should never rename a .divx to .avi.

Xvid and Divx are very similar, Most DVD players that can play divx can play xvid too.

Because I am a little confused I would like to recap what do I have to do after from Mpeg-2 I encode it into a .divx file.

That divx file will be used with these 2 programs: virtualdubmod along with avisynth. What exactly is the virtualdubmod is doing to the .divx? As for the avisynth is the one that fakes the file as a .avi.

After doing all these, would the quality that resulted as a .divx after encoding the mpeg-2 be higher than the result of using these 2 programs on the .divx file?

As for the .mp4, I am not sure if I got it right, but I can chose from my TV tuner that the format would be .mp4 for the recording. At the end tho, it goes out as an .avi file wich has 29.97 frames (even if I select 25). This is making the sound to remain behind the image.

I now have also a new question that is of high interess for me. If I set the Divx encoding to a higher resolution and/or video bitrate than the orignal file, what would happen? I can see that the new .divx file will be larger than the original but can it actualy increase the 2? I mean if the original has a total ammount, how can you increase it I am thinking? Will the bitrate and/or resolution just stay the same while the file will end up larger?

Edited by Messerschmitt

Avi is merely a container , the actual audio and video inside still use their respective codecs, You should never rename a .divx to .avi.

Xvid and Divx are very similar, Most DVD players that can play divx can play xvid too.

Actually, both xvid and divx are MPEG4 codecs, meaning they produce the same output format.