CHKDSK not clearing problem

jj_rice

Recent mystery resets, I started investigating the problem, hardware or software. In downloading Seagate harddisk tools, it failed the File Structure Test, hardware was fine. Suggested to run CHKDSK which also said I had a problem and run CHKDSK /F. System had to schedule this at startup. When it runs it doesn't fix or identify a problem. Did this exercise several times including defrag. Also tried to verify XP installed correctly with SFC /SCANNOW.

Below is a copy of CHKDSK;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\John Rice>chkdsk

The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.

Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...

File verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...

Index verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...

Security descriptor verification completed.

Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

Windows found problems with the file system.

Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

156280288 KB total disk space.

13502564 KB in 58882 files.

20444 KB in 4391 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

180124 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

142577156 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

39070072 total allocation units on disk.

35644289 allocation units available on disk.

Thanks

Chkdsk

Creates and displays a status report for a disk based on the file system. Chkdsk also lists and corrects errors on the disk. Used without parameters, chkdsk displays the status of the disk in the current drive.

Syntax

chkdsk [volume:][[Path] FileName] [/f] [/v] [/r] [/x] [/c] [/l[:size]]

Parameters

volume: : Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.

[Path] FileName : Specifies the location and name of a file or set of files that you want chkdsk to check for fragmentation. You can use wildcard characters (that is, * and ?) to specify multiple files.

/f : Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.

/v : Displays the name of each file in every directory as the disk is checked.

/r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked.

/x : Use with NTFS only. Forces the volume to dismount first, if necessary. All open handles to the drive are invalidated. /x also includes the functionality of /f.

/i : Use with NTFS only. Performs a less vigorous check of index entries, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.

/c : Use with NTFS only. Skips the checking of cycles within the folder structure, reducing the amount of time needed to run chkdsk.

/l[:size] : Use with NTFS only. Changes the log file size to the size you type. If you omit the size parameter, /l displays the current size.

/?: Displays help at the command prompt.

Edited by Shindo_Hikaru

did you run the chkdsk with the /f command...to fix it...right now its only running in read only mode.

CHKDSK /F

Yes, I ran CHKDSK /F many times at bootup. Each time there were no indications anything was found wrong.

Maybe ur hdd is corrupted so chkdsk can only fix part of it. Formatting will solve it. I can't think of any other way.

Can u post what it said w/chkdsk /f? Now only the read-only scan os posted.

Maybe ur hdd is corrupted so chkdsk can only fix part of it. Formatting will solve it. I can't think of any other way.

Can u post what it said w/chkdsk /f? Now only the read-only scan os posted.

When I run CHKDSK /F at bootup, it doesn't find any errors. It goes through its paces without any difficulty. I must have done this at least a half a dozen times. Formatting, just a lovely task.

Thanks

other solution...is to find another Harddrive tool...could be your seagate program is whacked....partition magic can check for errors...but its not a freeware....is the Disc NTFS/Fat32...IDE/Raid

Edited by jroc

Backup your system. Suggest an imaging software like ghost or trueimage.

format hard drive (not quick or fast, but full format).

restore and see if you have the same problem.

that really won't fix it...if you ghost the drive...you also ghost the 'volume error'...if there is actually one...could be his sygate program isn't right.

Maybe I miss something. The message you posted clearly stated:

WARNING! F parameter not specified.

Windows found problems with the file system.

Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

You can still try running it from the Recovery Console with the proper switches.

When I run CHKDSK /F at bootup, it doesn't find any errors.

Thanks

The screen won't tell you but in the Event Viewer look for a source of "Winlogon" for more details on chkdsk results.