[Question] satellite cable vs TV cable ?

grafx1

Hi,

What's the difference between satellite cable and analog TV cable

i think they are both coaxial 75 ohm !!

1- what happen if i connect an "analog TV coaxial cable" from the "loop out" in my receiver to a satellite reciever card in a PC ??

is this will affect the channels quality ??

( what i want to do is using the ordinary TV cable as it is already there and fixed to the wall )

2- also, is the 1st receiver to be ON in order to use the loop out to a 2nd one ??

Please, help.... Thank you.

You are right that they both use 75 ohm Coaxial, but he differences is in the grade of cable, RG6 and RG59. Cable TV have limited channels that are digital in is own right while Sateilite signals are Digital.

Sateilite companies also push for higher MHZ swept cables, at least 3GH on RG6 and Dish Network also pushes for Quad-Shielding RG6.

Not all cables are created equal.

You are right that they both use 75 ohm Coaxial, but he differences is in the grade of cable, RG6 and RG59. Cable TV have limited channels that are digital in is own right while Sateilite signals are Digital.

Sateilite companies also push for higher MHZ swept cables, at least 3GH on RG6 and Dish Network also pushes for Quad-Shielding RG6.

Not all cables are created equal.

i think that for the most part you are right, but i still think that any coax cable will work fine. we had a satellite here at my house and my dad installed it and just used some cable we had laying around from when they built our house and that worked just fine.

our internet guy ran a new "special cable" saying it would be better for the modem and stuff and that we'd have better reliability, well... he was way out to lunch on that. it didnt do anything for us. (and we were using the same cable as what was in the house and our house is over 14 years old so.... thats my take on it.

i think any cable will work just fine, in the end its probably just how well its sheilded -_-

Look at your cables, RG-6 is High end - SAT Digital, Digital signal and cable modem (internet)

RG-59 is old grade mainly used for antannea

RG-59 is fine when running it short like 1 meter or so but anything longer will degrade the signal and overall performance.

Signal Amp will help but will go beyond the 75Ohm to about 1M ohm thus the quality will change greatly, such as image will have more white to it, colors will be lighten, and sound will be distorted abit.

For the best quality and sound, run RG-6, if you must used RG-59 do it in short lenght, no longer then 1 meter.

Sounds like Shindo_Hikaru knows what he's talking about. I'm clueless about coax cabling myself, but I do know that when I spliced a piece of ordinary coax cable for extra length, the satellite signal quality degraded. The tech that I called replaced it and all's well now.

Is their any other markings on the protective sleeve. That C70 maybe a manufacturers model or series number. The cable it self, does it have a crimp connector, which means it has 6-8 sides depending on the cable type. If it is not crimped and it looks like a solid end with a bule or black band on it, that is called a F-type connector

no any other markings on it only "Made it Italy Cavi Miland C70 75 ohm"

that's what i use for TV

and what about my second question:

is the 1st receiver to be ON in order to use the loop out to a 2nd receiver ??

and what about my second question:

is the 1st receiver to be ON in order to use the loop out to a 2nd receiver ??

my friend has sattelite and i think that the 1st(main) receiver does have to be on for the 2nd to work, as the signal comes out of that 1st recevier and goes to the 2nd.

my friend has sattelite and i think that the 1st(main) receiver does have to be on for the 2nd to work, as the signal comes out of that 1st recevier and goes to the 2nd.

Thanks, but if the main receiver is on a certain channel , can i switch to another channel on the 2nd receiver in another room ??

Edited by grafx1

Not sure what your sat service you hve but Dishnetwork has a unique setup. It has a multi-swith that allows for multiple recivers with that can recive the signal. We have 4 HD recivers and they are all independent. I can have anyone of them one.