Polishing Up Maximus Decim NUSB

If you are using "Maximus Decim Native USB", and somehow like to have it behaves similar to WinXP, such as able to unplug with "Eject" but no error warning, and nicer XP like icon in the tray, then please see the following:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=71671#

Still in connection with WinXP, it has much smaller filesize of USBSTOR.INF and hence more efficient. It can also be implemented in NUSB, see the following message to know how:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...id=526480

Good luck!!

As I mentioned in my following post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...605&st=116#

The SYSTRAY.EXE I patched is Version 4.10.0.2224, file size 27,648 bytes.

If you use different version, I am not sure whether you can find the same pattern, i.e., 75 1B 52 68. In that case a deeper look is needed.

What version do you use then?

As I mentioned in my following post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...605&st=116#

The SYSTRAY.EXE I patched is Version 4.10.0.2224, file size 27,648 bytes.

If you use different version, I am not sure whether you can find the same pattern, i.e., 75 1B 52 68. In that case a deeper look is needed.

What version do you use then?

Windows 98 Upgrade Pack got a new feature to remove usb sticks without having to end them

through the systray.

But this only works with the original systray.exe 4.10.2222 in win98.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=519767

To my knowledge there are two ways to safely unplug USB device, first is by right-clicking the drive either in the Windows Explorer or My Computer, then click "Eject" in the drop-down menu. Secondly is by clicking or right-clicking the Hotplug icon in the Systray.

Could you enlighten me, what do you mean with "remove usb sticks without having to end them

through the systray."

Could you enlighten me, what do you mean with "remove usb sticks without having to end them

through the systray."

I'll bring a little bit light in this thing:

In default when you use an USB mass storage device in Windows 98 or Windows XP you can make a force

unplug of USB devices and so don't have to click "safely unplug hardware" .

Know when you install native USB you have to either click "safely unplug hardware" or get a warning dialog .

So "remove usb sticks without having to end them through the systray"

means that you don't have to safely unplug an USB device either from the systray or from the Windows Explorer then because you can remove them on force and don't get an warning dialog.

Edited by winxpi

I bring a little bit light in this thing:

In default when you use an USB mass storage device in Windows 98 or Windows XP you can make a force

unplug of USB devices and so don't have to click "safely unplug hardware" .

Know when you install native USB you have either click "safely unplug hardware" or get a warning dialog .

So "remove usb sticks without having to end them through the systray"

means that you don't have to safely unplug an USB device either from the systray or from the Windows Explorer then because you can remove them on force and don't get an warning dialog.

And is it really safe? I have read on many forums posts of unhappy people that thought that it is safe to unplug the flash device without the the "safe unplug" procedure - and accidentally they found that their data disappeared, and sometimes even the flash disk got damaged. (Maybe the real cause was different but who knows?)

Petr

I compare those flash drives as using a floppy disk. You precisely knew when not to pull out, when some program was trying to read or write to it.

However with these new flash drives you don't hear anything. My own 20-in-1 drive has only one miserable led to tell me when it's in use.

No of course it's not safe but it's somekind faster.

I also had such a situation where the data didn't get finished writing on the flash drive

but this happened on "the such so good" *ggg* Windows XP .

On Windows 98 you get an error message, so you see (in comparison to win xp) Windows 98 is much better

because afterwards you know when you shouldn't have pulled it out =) .

From hardware point of view, USB storage device is designed for hot swap. That does not mean that we may unplug it by force, there is still software matter to consider.

I must support Petr statement. If you unplug a USB device while in the middle of something is being written on it, you may lose some part if not all of a file. The worst case scenario is if that something being written is FAT, if the FAT is damaged, there is a risk that all the content of the disk is unreadable. True, there is a software to recover the data… but that is not so easy.

Hence, I would strongly recommend to stick to either of the following ways:

1. Right-click the USB drive, either in the Windows Explorer or in My Computer, then in the drop-down menu click “Eject”. If the unplug process is successful, the LED in the USB Thumbdrive will go off, and the directory tree of the drive in the Windows Explorer will collapse (if it was expanded before).

Note: You will get an error message if you do not patch the SYSTRAY.EXE as I mentioned in the beginning of this thread.

2. Click the Hotplug icon in the system tray. A message “Stop USB Disk – Drive(X:)” will popup, just click that popup, it will take a while until another message “The ‘USB Disk X:’ device can now be safely removed from the system.”, you need to click “OK” The drive letter “Removable Disk (X:)” will disappear from the Windows Explorer, but the LED in the Thumbdrive will stay on.

3. Click the Hotplug icon in the system tray. A message “Unplug or eject hardware” will popup. You need to click that popup, having done that the “Unplug or Eject Hardware” box will popup, showing what disk in connected, e.g., “USB Disk”, with the “USB Disk” you want to unplug selected you need to click the “Stop” button followed by “OK”. The next process is like in Point 2 above.

I personally like method 1, it is faster but safe. Which ever way you prefer, the final choice is yours.

I've always just pulled it out after making sure there were no open files on it...

Make sure it's set to REMOVABLE in the device properties, or you MAY experience filesystem corruption since writes are cached for non-removable drives.

The generic driver I'm using does not show any icon in the system tray. (I believe it is based on the original UMSS from Micro$oft).

*** NUSB decorator 1.0 for NUSB 2.X ***

Includes:

* Bypassing "Unsafe Removal of Device" popup (thanks Wijono)

* New hotplug icons (thanks Wijono)

Replaced EXPLORER.EXE, HOTPLUG.DLL, SYSTRAY.EXE

Only for Windows98SE with NUSB 2.2 or NUSB 2.3

For uninstall reinstall NUSB!

English version: http://rapidshare.de/files/24742725/NDEC10E.EXE.html

The NUSB decorator will be included in the NUSB 2.3 as a separate executed file.

I too have come to use of a smaller file usbstor.inf.

The short version of this file will be included in the NUSB 2.3 which will be soon let out.

Edited by maximus-decim