WGA to Shut Windows Off in the Fall?

fdv

I know this will affect XP, will it also effect 2003 as well? All you need is to activate it, it doesn't have this WGA crap, yet.

Read that topic in the Technology news section, I've already posted my comments there. What do I think of this WGA? Microsoft is overdoing it. They cannot treat legit users who happen to have an "illegit" code, just because there is something wrong with Microsoft.

I brought the OS, and installed this piece of crap. (WGA) I've passed validation, what else does Microsoft want?

Edited by Thunderbolt 2864

They cannot treat legit users who happen to have an "illegit" code, just because there is something wrong with Microsoft.
Yes, they can. Until the courts say otherwise.
I brought the OS, and installed this piece of crap. (WGA) I've passed validation, what else does Microsoft want?
More money and assured market dominance.

My take?

Once the OS has been found to be "legit", MS should butt out and stop all polling/calling home. Like this, the rightful user wouldn't have so much to complain about anymore (at least as far as WGA is concerned).

My guess is that the next step would be that MS assign a unique GUID to every single WGA download. If these files are found on someone else's computer, the original downloader will be put on a black list and the OS of the other person will be invalidated (if it hasn't been already).

Smells like Palladium World Domination to me...

My take?

Once the OS has been found to be "legit", MS should butt out and stop all polling/calling home. Like this, the rightful user wouldn't have so much to complain about anymore (at least as far as WGA is concerned).

My guess is that the next step would be that MS assign a unique GUID to every single WGA download. If these files are found on someone else's computer, the original downloader will be put on a black list and the OS of the other person will be invalidated (if it hasn't been already).

Smells like Palladium World Domination to me...

shhhh... dont say that, microsoft will start to get ideas :whistle:

TC is on target. It is unlikely that we would get banned w/o posting info about WGA circumvention.

I was partly joking but mostly making sure none of my hombres get busted for an honest mistake.

More money and assured market dominance.

Yep, Microsoft are money hungry cheapskates. Coming with with cheap ways to scam money out of consumers.

I hate the fact they are placing a spyware script into this crappy WGA. Its none of Microsoft's business to know whats in our computers. All I did was use a firewall to block them from "phoning home" on my computer. I'm not about to let Microsoft check my computer, screw them.

I have Win2K, and had to install WGA (aka "Windows Genuine Annoyance") recently. Windows Update wouldn't let me have most security updates unless I did. I was rather ticked off about that. For security reasons, I prefer to download updates using Firefox or Opera, preferably running on Linux. But no, I couldn't do that. And to top it off, the dang thing would not install unless I connected to Windows Update while logged in as Administrator. Now how the hell is that a good idea?

I guess that this must be part of a new Microsoft customer disservice initiative: Annoy and inconvenience your customers, and promote unsafe computing practices at the same time.

;)

Phil

I have Win2K, and had to install WGA (aka "Windows Genuine Annoyance") recently. Windows Update wouldn't let me have most security updates unless I did. I was rather ticked off about that. For security reasons, I prefer to download updates using Firefox or Opera, preferably running on Linux. But no, I couldn't do that. And to top it off, the dang thing would not install unless I connected to Windows Update while logged in as Administrator. Now how the hell is that a good idea?

I guess that this must be part of a new Microsoft customer disservice initiative: Annoy and inconvenience your customers, and promote unsafe computing practices at the same time.

;)

Phil

That's weird. I only have to download a small program which provides a number (different number every day) and then enter it in to download an update.

Other way to do it is to click on TomCat's members profile and he has links to all updates you need to HFSLIP. Anything that requires Windows Genuine Annoyance can be downloaded from BetaNews.

That's weird. I only have to download a small program which provides a number (different number every day) and then enter it in to download an update.

Other way to do it is to click on TomCat's members profile and he has links to all updates you need to HFSLIP. Anything that requires Windows Genuine Annoyance can be downloaded from BetaNews.

Actually, I remember now that I wasn't using Windows Update. I was following links from a post in this forum.

The Microsoft web site seemed to be trying to install an ActiveX control of some kind, although I might be wrong about that. That's what failed unless I was logged in as Admininstrator. When it failed initially, it said something about using an alternate method, and mentioned genuinecheck.exe (?). I was redirected to another page so I could download the program, but then I got an error message. It was something like, "This is an old program which is no longer supported." Oh great, nothing like a screwed up web site to waste one's time. Whatever happened to simple, efficient downloads? As in connect to the download site with an ftp client, select multiple files for download, and then click a button to fetch all of the files.

Phil

I don't how M$ is doing all this stuff. I say we fight it by telling the senators to pass a Microsoft can not treat innocent people like criminal pirates. We all pay just to get hurt. That's not right. No wonder why people are trying to sue Microsoft. It's now in the news.

Look: http://www.channelweb.com/sections/allnews...=ChannelWebNews

I think more people will sue Micro$oft because if we all pay to be terrorized by Micro$oft security We will probably just buy linux.

Hey I have already got annoyed, and angry with WGA, and WPA. If they start doing this I won't buy another Micro$oft product again. Hey If im forced to pay $200 I expect to get treated right for my legal/legit copy.

Also one more thing I believe this will happen and is no joke because they already mess up XPs that don't activate their copies. Why wouldn't they do it with WGA.

Edited by hyipo