NVIDIA Geforce 6600 256MB PCI-e Driver Version 91.31

DirectX 9.0c

Windows XP SP2

Monitor: 17" Flat CRT Samsung Smartbright/Syncmaster

Screen Resoultion: 1024*768

Color: 32 Bit

Refresh Rate: 85 hertz

Problem:

Games and screensavers dont work correctly. In screensavers like 3D FlowerBox and 3D Flying objects (any 3D screensaver), the display is garbled and corrupted. In games, the games do load, but the screens are very jerky, garbled, corrupted and the colors blend into each other. The problem occurs in all games I have installed (Cricket 2004, Max Payne 2, NFS Underground 2 etc.).

Results in DxDiag.exe:

> In the 'DirectX Files' tab, the 'Notes' area shows 'No problems found'.

> In the 'Display' tab, all the three DirectDraw tests are fine.

> However, in the Direct3D tests, the spinning cube is visible, but is unclear and garbled.

I am pretty sure this is a DirectX problem. So, I tried to reinstall DX 9.0c without removing the existing installation. I have the DX9.0c on a Magazine software CD.

On the Setup screen, once I agree to the license agreement, it says 'Direct X 9.0 Runtime Install. The install package will search for updated DirectX Runtime Componens and updte as necessary. it may take a few minutes. to start installation, please click Next'. On clicking 'Next', I am straightaway taken to the 'Installation Complete' screen, without going through any intermediate installation/progress screens.

The problem of the garbled dsplay in 3D apps still persists even after this. So, I thought to remove DX9.0c and then completely reinstall it again, since it apparently does not install correctly. However, I cannot find a way to remove it.

Can anyone guide me in what I should do? I am unable to play games or run 3D applications/Screensavers correctly.

Edited by indianarchie

OK. First up I have heard there are a few problems with the Nvidia 91.31 version, so you might try uninstalling these, and reverting to an earlier set. (84.xx series are pretty good, Im still using 84.21's with 6600gt)

Also check your GPU temps, this could also be causing problems. (not saying it is just doesnt hurt to check)

Also as far as I know you cannot remove DX9, (any version), although I have seen a couple of programs that claim they can. (google for them if you want).

OldWolf:

The problem occured with 84.21 drivers also. That is why I upgraded to the 9x series, thinking it would solve the problem.

GPU Core temperature: 60 degrees

Slowdown threshold temperature: 145 degrees

The DX uninstallers I found seem buggy and may actually cause more problems than they solve. Is there any way I can reinstall DX9 without them?

Maybe if I install a new game, it will reinstall DX during the game installation process?

If your temps are in Celsius you may have a problem! Especially if thats idle temp. (I gat up to about 55 - 57 under 3d load with games Like FEAR, Oblivion, Quake4 Far Cry etc).

My GT idles at ~40ish, and I think thats a bit warm. X850xt was only ~32ish (before it was taken out with a couple of other expensive bits). You may need to look at some extra cooling.

You may also need to dl DX9 latest build from MS. I think they add stuff and debug as they go and later builds are a bit more "stable" and easier on the system. That said, Im still running DX9 from Sept. last year.

Other than that Im afraid I cant suggest anything else.

Edited by oldwolf

his temps are in celsius! 60C is pretty much my max load. im assumming that your using the stock cooler? how long have you had this card and how long has this problem been happening? how is the airflow in your case? if its really messy then buy some cable ties and waste a few hours getting it really organized. and a third party cooler will be the best thing you could do, its just too hot.

Update:

Its some problem with the Graphics card. Tried reverting back to the older drivers, but it didnt help. Even tried System restore, but again no result. Removed and cleaned the card. No result. Reinstalled the card, no result :(

Have now finally sent it to the service station. I hope to hear from them in a few days.

I heard that these cards are built to withstand high temperatures...The status bar is in the green zone when I check the temperature using the NVIDIA control panel page. AFAIK, these temperatures (55-65 edgrees) are what I was getting when I bought the PC and nothing has changed. The engineer who came told me these will not affect the card.

well that engineer is an id***. 60C+ is too high for a video card and will cause it to slow down. once you hit 70C+ while gaming, its very very laggy or just crashes. and these are load temps, are you 60C for idle? if so then wahts ur load.

Well, 60°C idle is certainly too high but he's having problems with the dxdiag 3D test and 3dflowerbox screensaver already. That shouldn't heat the GPU in such a way that it wil cause errors. GPU's can get very hot. You can burn your fingers on the heatsink from a good functioning videocard. Call me an id*** if you wish :)

(for burning my fingers)

If it's really not a driverproblem than I'm afraid this card is broken.

60°C would NOT be a problem. Guys, start to understand that temp-readouts that are given are just indication, NOT REAL temperatures! It looks more like an incompatible problem or not enough voltage.

Let´s wait when indianarchie get´s a new one ;).

"Call me an id*** if you wish"... hehehehe... no comments :P

I forgot to add:

I am currently using the onboard graphics from my motherboard, till I hear from the engineer again. Everything runs fine with the onboard graphics, though games obviously are laggy and run slowly.

@PuntoMX

I have been using the card since november 2005 without problems, till now. If it had been a voltage issue, wouldnt it give continous problems?