Opera 9 released. Still runs on Win9x systems!

galahs

I downloaded Opera latest web browser today if an effort to find a future replacement for Firefox (Mozilla will drop Win9x support in Firefox next year).

Opera 9 :thumbup

Finally Opera have developed a browser that is quick as they claim, no longers stutters its way through rendering complex pages, is free and best of all it still works on Win9x systems :D

That mean's Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Millenium systems ARE supported! :w00t:

So now we have an up-to-date browser that (DRUM ROLLL PLEASE) passes the ACID2 test!

http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html

Acid2 is a well recognised test to show if your web browser supports the latest web and CSS standards. Opera 9 passes it! (Firefox 1.5 and Internet Explorer currently don't pass Acid2)

I'm smiling from ear to ear. Win9x lives on! Still fully compliant with the web standards 13 years after its (first seen in Windows 95) launch!

So I urge Windows 95/98/ME users to give Opera 9 a try. We need to support organisations that are willing to continue to support us, and in the meanwhile give Mozilla a wake up call.

Maybe if enough of us show we are willing to ditch Mozilla Firefox, they will re-think their decision to drop support for Win9x systems next year with Firefox 3 (Geko 1.9)

For more information on Opera 9 go to http://www.opera.com

I downloaded Opera latest web browser today if an effort to find a future replacement for Firefox (Mozilla will drop Win9x support in Firefox next year).

Finally Opera have developed a browser that is quick as they claim, no longers stutters its way through rendering complex pages, is free and best of all it still works on Win9x systems :D

That mean's Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Millenium systems ARE supported! :w00t:

Do you have any information about Win9x support in future Opera version? I'm not familiar with Opera roadmap.

I know that the versioning system is not exactly the same but:

Current version of Firefox (1.5) works on Win9x.

Current version of Opera (9.0) works on Win9x.

Next version of Firefox (2.0) will work on Win9x.

Next version of Opera (?.?) will work on Win 9x or no?

Next next version of Firefox (3.0) will not work on Win9x. (probably)

Next next version of Opera (?.?) will work on Win 9x or no?

Petr

From my understanding, Firefox 2 will support Win9x but still uses Gecko 1.8 meaning it WONT pass the Acid2 test.

Firefox 3 will use Gecko 1.9 and should pass Acid2 but WONT run on Win9x.

Therefor as it stands, it seems Opera will be the last (major) browser for Win9x that passes Acid2.

As for future Opera versions still supporting Win9x, I have no idea. Have searched around but haven't found an Opera roadmap yet. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

(For the noobs Gecko is the rendering engine that allows Firefox to display the web pages you browse)

I asked on the Opera forum about Win9x support in future versions and an Opera stadd member replied:

There are no current plans to drop Win 9x.

Lets hope it says that way for alittle while longer :D

If I install opera, can I get rid of IE completely ??

Some IE components are needed for Windows itself. Generally you can throw IE in the bin, there are only some files which need to be kept.

MDGx should know better :)

If I install opera, can I get rid of IE completely ??

Try this link http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

IEradicator is a tiny, script that uses the Windows setup engine to surgically remove Internet Explorer versions 3 through 6.0 from Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium and Windows 2000(sr1).

If you are one of the 70+% for which IE is the browser that floats your boat you can reinstall the version you prefer. If not, then you can bask in the inner glow of knowing you just secured your PC from all known and unknown, past and future, IE security bugs while claiming back 30+MB of closet space. Isn't it nice to have the choice?

The removal process is elegant with all COM servers politely being asked to de-register themselves from the system registry using their inbuilt deinstallation routines before being eliminated from the hard disk. IEradicator then pulls out the cleaning gear and gives the registry a good polish before returning control back to you. The MS HTML Engine (shdocvw.dll and mshtml.dll) is left on the machine to provide needed functionality for other applications that render HMTL (e.g. Outlook Express) or that launch a mini-browsing window (e.g. Winamp's Mini Browser, Netmeeting's Online Directory).

IEradicator now contains two versions. One version keeps all the web view shell integration intact, and the other takes all of that out for a lean and fast desktop environment. If you are hard-core, you can rid yourself of IE altogether using our great 98lite Professional.

Be sure to read the accompanying text files - IEradicator means business!!

So now we have an up-to-date browser that (DRUM ROLLL PLEASE) passes the ACID2 test!

http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html

Acid2 is a well recognised test to show if your web browser supports the latest web and CSS standards. Opera 9 passes it! (Firefox 1.5 and Internet Explorer currently don't pass Acid2)

I'm smiling from ear to ear. Win9x lives on! Still fully compliant with the web standards 13 years after its (first seen in Windows 95) launch!

So I urge Windows 95/98/ME users to give Opera 9 a try. We need to support organisations that are willing to continue to support us, and in the meanwhile give Mozilla a wake up call.

Maybe if enough of us show we are willing to ditch Mozilla Firefox, they will re-think their decision to drop support for Win9x systems next year with Firefox 3 (Geko 1.9)

For more information on Opera 9 go to http://www.opera.com

Not even Microsoft will continue support for Win98SE/ME come the end of June 2006. So why bother trying to upgrade your browser if you're not going to upgrade your OS? Seems like a lot of wasted angst if you ask me. :}

Most web exploits come through your browser.

So if you have a firewall, virus scanner and a spyware remover combined with a modern browser, Windows 9x can easily live on for a few mor years yet ;)

Hey Guys!

I don't know if this helps or not, but, I've been using Opera 8.5 on Windows 98 First

edition, and moved over to Opera Beta 9.0 when it was released. It is, by far, the

best Browser I've had thus far.

I remember when I installed Fire Fox 1.0, it wouldn't install because I was on IE 4.0

However, it did work once I moved over to IE 5.0 I thought that was weird, for I

thought, Firefox didn't need IE to work.

Anyway, I would recomend 9.0 for those using old operating systems to surf the net.

Edited by Atmosphere XG

I remember when I installed Fire Fox 1.0, it wouldn't install because I was on IE 4.0

However, it did work once I moved over to IE 5.0 I thought that was weird, for I

thought, Firefox didn't need IE to work.

It's not that Firefox needs IE to work, it needs the updated libraries installed by later versions of IE to install and work properly.

Run Firefox in Windows 95 :: Mozilla Stuff :: JohnHaller.com

I'm not a big fan of Opera, but if they maintain 9x compatibility and Firefox doesn't, then I'll probably have to give it another shot. I think Mozilla will maintain 2.x with security updates for quite a while after 3.0 is released and hopefully we'll get it ported to 9x by knowledgeable programmers. Also hoping for security updates for 9x by generous programmers.