CPU problem?

tokyodrifter

My dad decided to open up his Sony PC today and decided to remove the cooling fan & cpu to clean it up. But when he puts everything back together and turn the system on, the computer did not produce a video signal, both drive indicators LEDs stay on constantly for 30 sec., then the CD drive LED goes off with the HD LED stays on. The system will not respond to the CAPS or NUMLOCK button....help! :/

First off what type of CPU is it, if its anAMD, ur dad may have cracked the core.

Other wise, make sure the HEatsink is properly attached, and there is thermal compound between the core and sink. Further make sure the fan is plugged in.

If thats all proper, he may have bumped the vid card or ram, try reseating those.

Do this with precation, esd, or static can cause damage to electronic components.

Good Luck

|Drew|

Did he remove the CPU? If he did, tell him to take it back out and re-seat it. Also, when he 'cleaned it up', did he re-apply thermal compound? If he didnt, your most likely in need of a new CPU now, as you've fried that one.

Wow, Drew beat me to it by 60 seconds! And with a better answer too!

AS for the static issue. Open the case and touch the chassis while the system is still pluged in (to ground yourself), then unplug and commence tinkering :). If you have carpeted flooring, try not to move around too much.

(It's a P4 BTW :) )

My dad went to the store and got more thermal compound (ArcticSilver Alumina) and re-apply it. We also checked the other components but still no good...the computer still will not respond. Anymore suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

:) Sorry...now that I reread the post and saw the config. and previous posts...P4s require 2 power connectors to complete post. Make sure that both are firmly connected or reseat them.

The main power from the power supply to the MB...usually labeled P1. Then the additional power connector for the P4...usually P2. Without the P2 connected the system will turn on but won't complete the post process.