Safe overclocking

colemancb

Hey all. I just had a quick question. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8ghz stock. My motherboard (Biostar tForce 6100) comes with auto overclocking options with three choices, the third being the highest performance increase. I selected it just to see how much faster it would be, and things are flying. I went from a 1.8ghz to a 2.25ghz. Now, using the stock cooler and fan, I'm maintaining a stable 39-40* temp. Is this safe to run with? Playing MOHPA may bump it up to a steady 40. I'm just not sure what is safe, so I have it stock again for the moment.

Thanks.

Edit -- Also, what is a good software to monitor my temperature? The only way I can do it now is through my BIOS and the software they provided does not work under x64.

Edited by Superlevel

i m using SR1610IL Compaq presario

in my sys MS-7184 mobo that does not have any option to overclock

my AMD A64 3200+

Anybody hava solution to overclock my CPU through Software or

moreeeeeeeeee.........

Ramesh

Ramesh, it would help you get an answer faster if you started your own topic. :)

Now, I have another question. I loaded hwmonitor and it puts my GPU in the yellow at 47*, is this very high? it's not overclocked at all and that's just running normal windows.

Edited by Superlevel

Is it just me, or do the words "safe" and "overclock" just not fit together?

Any time that you overclock, you're reducing the life of the components, and increasing the risk of something breaking. Sure, there's a little bit of a margin of error, but you're still pushing things past manufacturers specifications.

I'm not trying to put it down - it's fun to see how high you can go. I'm just not sure if the word "safe" fits in anywhere.

As for the original question - the best test for overclocking is still Prime95. Run it for a full day (yes - 24 hours) and see if you get any errors. If not, then you're in the clear. :)

• 2 weeks later...