ToolTips - Problem

Take a look at the pic below

Does anyone know how to fix it.

How it normaly looks.

help1.JPG

How it looks once ToolTips are used.

help.JPG

The Tooltips are coming up, but any dropdown menu that is on screen seem to be comming through the Tool Tips, this happens with any and every dropdown menu in WPI that the ToolTip go over. This was also happening with old versions of WPI not just the new version.

Any Thoughts?

Edited by almulder

Well, I have another method and I'll post it here I get home.

It was submitted by another member in this forum, but it only fixes some of my images (I don't know why).

If I find another method that works 100% then I'll let you know. For me Dumpy Dooby's method does't work at all (I guess I made something that interacts with it ...).

About the tooltip thingie, I really don't get what you're saying. *shrug*

Now I understand. And I have the same problem, as I said here.

Here is what I found regarding this problem:

The <select> element is a "Windowed" element and "all windowed elements

paint themselves on top of all windowless elements, despite the wishes of

their container." See this KB article for more details:

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...&NoWebContent=1

And here's a solution:

http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/jki.../07/21/488.aspx

With an example:

http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/jki...10/30/2975.aspx

The site where I found it is here.

I hope you find this useful.

Edited by sadicq

I just talked to my friend and he said he can fix this by using another method... which is much better, he says.

The problem is that he is really busy with some work today, but if you guys can wait I'll try to get in touch with him tomorrow.

From what he said, I understood there's no need to edit anything else than tips.js.

And that will fix all the dropdown show-ups.

Edited by sadicq

Well I have found the best solution. (LOL) Upgrade to IE7.0 beta took care of that problem right away.

But of course not everyone wants to do that. I was reading something somewhere about needing to make a Iframe over the top of every "select" box and set the z-index on it. I hope you guys have a better fix than that. (Too much work).

Thanks.

IE 7 is definately not a solution. Many users using XP won't update their IE, not mentioning the users who use Win95/98. Although they are old, they are still used in low-budget companies and old home computers.

About the iframe fix, that was what I suggested in the link I provided, but I hope I can come up with a better fix.

Btw, you should downgrade to IE 6.0 or use a virtual machine to test your files for weird errors that may have been fixed in IE 7.0, but still present in the old one.

Edited by sadicq

You can use regex to hide all SELECTs. Dunno how that would effect it.

As for the PNG issue (coming in here a bit late ... I assume that's what you're talking about when you're referring to "Dumpy Dooby's method"), I hadn't tested it with tooltips. It's only supposed to work with IMG tags (I'm assuming that the tooltips don't use IMG tags?). Anyway, I'll see what I can do to get it to work with tooltips. Hopefully someone will let me know if they get it working before me. :)

I used a virtual machine to get IE7 and test it, I was just more or less just playing around to see how it worked and also to have it to test WPI in a IE 7 enviorment.

As for it being a fix it was more a joke toward Microsuck for taking so long in fixing these kind of problems. By all means we need to find a fix for EVERYONE not just a select few.

Sorry "sadicq" as I did not rember where it was that I read that info. I had been looking at over 50 different sites where people asked about that same issue. But it looks as to be the only good method of a fix.

"Dumpy Dooby" as of the tooltips working with PNG the right way, I already have it working. Check my post asd see the changes I made. They seem to work.

This is the fixed tips.js.

Replace the one in WPIScripts with this one and everything should work (eh... only the problems reported in this thread).

The method used is the iframe one.

Enjoy!

tips.js

Edited by sadicq

Cool, Have fun playing tonight. Catch ya later. Thanks again

Edit:

Well I guess I spoke too soon. Now the PNG's don't display right. I guess I need to figure out what is more important. PNG's or text boxes coming through.

Well I guess for now The PNG's seem to be more important. Since mostly the select boxes come throught when looking at wizard screens.

Thanks for the work. Maybe someone else can look at the code and fix that aspect of it.

But first if someone could fix the other problems that I am having with the tooltips on my other post That would help out major. I need these to work again before I continue on my code.

Thanks All.

-Albert

Edited by almulder