Slow Shutdown

Shab

I'm running Windows XP which I modified with nlite. Ever since I installed this version, the shutting down or restarting takes approximately 2 minutes. I found that setting the pagefile to clear could be a problem, but I checked it in my registry and it is set to 0. What else could I check to fix this problem?

Norton?

true! i have had one customer that complained about the same problem and was using norton antivirus. removed it (can't remember what antivirus have installed afterwards) and voila! start-up and shutdown times decreased drastically. unless you have a crazy amount of ram (even then i'd recommend getting rid of norton)...

All very good information.

Getting Windows to shut down reluctant programs is indeed a piece of cake.

Just a couple of registry tweaks gets the job done nicely.

Here they are:

Decrease Shutdown Time

Cut the amount of time it takes your computer to shut down to only a few seconds.

Click Start, click Run, and type regedit.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control.

Click the Control folder.

Right click "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" and click Modify.

Set the value to 1000 (One Second)

Automatically Ending Non-Responsive Tasks

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Desktop \

AutoEndTasks = Set the value to 1

HungAppTimeout = Set the value to 1000

WaitToKillAppTimeout = Set the value to 1000 (One Second)

Then, to greatly increase system efficiency use this tweak:

Memory Performance Tweak

These Settings will fine tune your systems memory management -at least 256MB of ram recommended, 512 preferred for first tweak.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \

Session Manager \ Memory Management

1.DisablePagingExecutive -double click it and in the decimal put a 1 - this allows XP to keep data in memory now instead of paging sections of ram to harddrive.

2.LargeSystemCache- double click it and change the decimal to 1 -this allows XP Kernal to Run in memory improves system performance a lot. This tweak can actually slow down a system with less than 256 megs of ram.

Works for me! (and my hundreds of customers)

Andromeda43 B)

Those fixes you listed seemed to do the trick. I run NOD32 for an anti-virus, seems to be much more cut down and efficient than Symantec AV programs. I found that Registry Tweaks txt file on the forums, i'm sure that will help me out bigtime when modifying my next windows installation with nlite. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Well I guess I am cursed. After the intitial reboot (which was extremely quick) I have gone back to the extremely slow reboot times. It took approximately 70 seconds from the time i clicked OK on the restart computer dialog box until the time it actually closed the desktop and shut down. I don't know what is causing this, so I will keep researching. If anybody here has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

EDIT: I went through some microsoft tutorials on how to perform a "clean boot", therefore isolating the problem. Turns out it was my iTouch software for my logitech keyboard that was causing the long shutdown time. Beware the iTouch software. Ok now i'm really done.

Edited by Shab